Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Modernism Tour During Tiki Oasis - IT'S ON - Sat May 7th

Pages: 1 28 replies

I am thrilled to announce that my good friend Tony Merchell (one of THE experts on Palm Springs Modernism) will be giving his insider's 3 hour guided bus tour during Tiki Oasis. (And I will do my best Huell Howser impression as we tour!)

Highlights will include:

• Souvenir program
  • Tour Stop at a beautiful Alexander home - complete with a HOME TIKI BAR!!! (Dr. Kaplan House by Palmer and Krisel, 1957)
  • Tour Stop at a 2nd beautifully restored home - with a small resident tiki (Florsheim House by Donald Wexler 1957)
  • Tour Stop at Toucan's Tiki Bar for complimentary "REFRESHMENTS!!!"
  • Drive by the Frank Sinatra Home
  • Drive by the Elvis Honeymoon Hideaway
  • Drive by the Neitra's Architectural Masterpiece - the Kauffman House
  • And of course much much more...

Day/Date: Saturday May 7th
Time: 1:30 - 4:30 (please show up at 1:15)
Start/Stop: Caliente Tropics
Price Per Person: $40
*** INCLUDES A COCKTAIL at Toucan's Tiki Bar
(normally a Tony Merchell tour goes for $75-100 a seat - so this is a bargain folks!)

Seating is limited!!!
To insure a seat on the bus you may pay in advance with my cousin "Futura Girl" on site at Oasis - she's in room #139
Or check in with "Matteo 'Hukilau' Brown" volunteer coordinator for Oasis - who is also in room 139...

If there are remaining seats they will be sold first come first served cash only please... See you there!

ROLL CALL
Tedtiki + 3
Tiki Crow + Ms. Tiki Crow
Al (sans shelly)
CynTiki and BealzaElvis
Mistah Smiley fashizzle
Jimbo and Mrs Jimbo
Tiki Kate
Inky Louise
Unga Bunga

Visit http://www.cherrycapri.com

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2005-05-06 12:55 ]

D

Oh Yes! I had planned on trying to do this on my own, but it undoubtedly might be better listening to someone who knows what they're talking about.
I'd like to hear more details as they unfold :D

This sounds great. How about later in the afternoon between the shopping and the evening events? It's always nice (for me, at least) to get away from the massive crowd for a few hours.

On 2005-04-16 20:37, Tiki-Kate wrote:
It's always nice (for me, at least) to get away from the massive crowd for a few hours.

That's what I was thinkin.
Maybe we can stop at a bar. :D
Add me to the list please.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-04-19 12:32 ]

A

Sounds great

Where's the ticket line? Great idea Cherry. I tell myself everytime I go to Palm Springs I'm gonna do something like this but I still haven't done it! I also agree with Unga Bunga's delicately broached suggestion that we might break for refreshments along the way. "A man can work up a helluva thirst out there in the desert." - C. Eastwood

Count us in!

Would love it! Can we see the Kaufmann House??

Well I will be missing this one I am signed up for volenteering at the same time....ce la vie.....someone take ots of pics and show me them later on Saturday....I would be much appreciative

[ Edited by: Dr. Shocker on 2005-05-04 10:37 ]

As long as we have air conditioning you can drive me anywhere. Me + 2 please.

Here's our tour bus before Tiki Oasis:

Here's our tour bus after Tiki Oasis:

A three hour tour indeed. (P.S. Please reserve 2 seats for us)

Ookoo Lady

[ Edited by: ookoo lady on 2005-04-20 22:01 ]

K

Bump.

What about the rest of you ship wrecked on Tiki Isle?

J
jimbo posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2005 7:10 PM

Count Mr. and Mrs. Jimbo in!!

T

Definitely add two more (Mr & Ms TikiCrow)!!!

When I first heard about this architecture tour I was doubly disappointed that we didn't have tickets for the Oasis -- then along came the Royal Sun snafu and now we in.

Got to love those snafus sometimes :wink:

Dear Cherry,

i have a fabulous friend in palm springs who lives in a lovely restored Donald Wexler home, and he would be interested in opening his home for the tour in exchange for seeing you in concert at Oasis. Any interest?

InkyLouise

S

Mike and I would be up for it! Mahalo!

T

Count us in for 2 possibly 4 seats. We were going to rent a car and do it ourselves but this sounds mucho better.

M

i would like one ticket, please.

Hi everyone.
I finally got confirmation today on the bus cost, tour guide's schedule, a thumbs up on the home tiki bar we'll be touring and cocktails at Toucan's... So it is Official!

I have edited the first post to reflect the tour time/date price...

Seating is really limited - so consider using pay pal if you want to go...

T

That's great about the tour.

But where on cherrycapri DOT com do you sign up/pay?

Has anyone done this yet? I think I checked all the promising link.

Here's a picture of some modern people at the Kenaston House party during the 2004 Palm Springs Modernism Weekend.

On 2005-05-03 22:27, TikiCrow wrote:
But where on cherrycapri DOT com do you sign up/pay?

Thanks for posting the pic of Tony and me. That's from the Palm Springs Modern Committee Annual Fundraiser last year - at the ever so groovy house is where they shot the cable show "Boy Meets Boy."

But I digress - use http://www.paypal.com to buy your advanced tickets - and the email to send $ to is
"paypay AT cherrycapri DOT com"

Is Crow In!?!
I will post a list of attendees in the first post.

Visit http://www.cherrycapri.com!

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2005-05-03 23:58 ]

C

I am one of "those" people who just found TikiCentral last week. Are unworthy folks like myself invited on this tour with their hubby "BealzaElvis"? Or is this exclusive to you all? We would really like to join along in the fun!

Anyone who enjoys Mid Century Modern architecture is welcome aboard the bus!

C

When I go to send $$ through paypal to "[email protected]" it says it is unregistered email? Is that right?

whoops - i had a typo - it's paypal@ - not paypay@

sorry...

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2005-05-04 12:52 ]

C

Forget that last post! It works perfectly! That's having 2 kids will do to you! Can't wait - Me & BealzaElvis! Woohoo! This will be a good cooling off period from drinking non-stop!

M

ROLL CALL
Tedtiki + 3
Tiki Crow + Ms. Tiki Crow
Al (sans shelly)
CynTiki and BealzaElvis
mrsmiley!

S

(Finally beginning to recover from Oasis!)

Truely, the architectural tour was THE hidden pirate's treasure of Oasis for us this year. If you were on the tour you know what I mean.

A-MAH-ZINGLY enough, we got to visit not one, but TWO palm springs homes- one empty and rentable- complete with Tiki by the pool, and the other a real home. Both were exactly what we came to Palm Springs for! What a perfect experience to wander up close and personal and get just a glimpse out of the corner of your eye what it must be like to live here in one of these treasures.

Our guides, the pamphlet with key terminology, our driver, our home hosts, and the wonderful staff at the Toucan all welcomed us like Ohana.

(We had also done the Mondo Tiki, Vegas architecture/history/neon tour, so we knew it was gonna be great!)

All I can say is over and over A-MAH-ZING!

Next opportunity we get we're jumping the chance to explore yet another town on our next Tiki tour!

MAHALO!MAHALO! MAHALO!

T

A-mah-zing!!!

We also had a great time. It was fun to be inside the homes, doinking around town on the bus, hearing the architectural anecdotes, and being in the Toucan with sympatico TCers.

Although I regret not getting to talk to more people on the bus, I really enjoyed getting to meet or know better the ones I did talk to.

Thanks Cherry, thanks Tony!!!

Nick & Nora

Pages: 1 28 replies