Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Kon-Id (Spanish) mugs and three previously unseen items -CLOSED!

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Great Stuff...Love the 3 tier tiki bowl....

Tiki Trev. what was that taken at in Spain?? Maholla!

That pic is from the Kahiki in Barcelona. The mugs there were a lot more expensive than the Aloha

K
Kono posted on Tue, Dec 20, 2005 4:50 PM

Got mine delivered safe and sound today. Beautiful mugs! The Ku bowl and the Maori man mug are so intricate and well made. They are all outstanding pieces. Thanks Sven.

In his ebay auction, bigbrotiki wrote:
This bowl is from the yet-to-be-discovered Spanish Tiki culture, an offspring of American Polynesian Pop that blossomed in the 1970s. "Exotica Espanola" has a completely seperate Tiki mug history, with unique concepts and style. A book about this esoteric subject is in the works.

Is this true? I don't recall you mentioning it here but I think its a great idea and I look forward to the finished book. Even if its a wee small slip of a book (is there that much tiki history in Spain?) I'd buy a copy. I find it fascinating that a whole branch of tiki culture has evolved for the most part off of our radar.

Now that the terms Polynesian Pop and Exotica Espanola have been coined, might I suggest a new category: Melanesian Mod? You know, for all of those PNG inspired carvings that adorned the Enchanted Tiki Room and the vintage tiki establishments. No? OK. Forget I said anything... :wink:

Sven or Trevor, could one or both of you maybe scan the menus that feature these mugs and bowls so that we can get a good look at how they appear in the menu and what drinks are served in them?

On 2005-12-20 12:03, Daddyomatic wrote:
Great Stuff...Love the 3 tier tiki bowl....

Yes, but what eez eet!? I have not figured it out yet..any suggestions? If I would sell it, I'd wanna know what it represents first.

The containers are cool, but the contents (ice cubes!!?) often not: The quality of mixology in the Spanish bars is severely lacking, unfortunately. The Kahala caters to a teenage/just-over-drinking-age crowd, and the other places, like the Mauna Loa, have survived because they are favored by business men and their mistresses for all the dark nooks and seating booths that have a lot of privacy, not for the quality of their cocktails.

I really like that, "Melanesian Mod"!
..and I already have a title for the Spanish Tiki Culture book:

"ALOHA AMIGO!"

(...ok, I admit, it's stolen from an obscure Arthur Lyman album)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2005-12-21 11:04 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 24, 2005 3:42 PM

On 2005-12-17 22:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Understandably, I had some cancellations, and so I am throwing some of these puppies up on e-bay. Let's see what happens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=7732733124

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=7732723793

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=7732720868

There are already some nibbles...c'mon, give it a try, kohalacharms and danlovestikis already got theirs, so how high can it go...? (wink wink)

Holy crap! I should've bought two of each...

On 2005-12-24 15:42, Kono wrote:

Holy crap! I should've bought two of each...

...an utterance that makes me want to remind everyone that I am selling these to collectors for their own personal collections, not for people that want to make a profit from them.
I hope the owners appreciate the fact that I made them available and (relatively) affordable to TCers, and do not plan to infringe on my Kon-Id gallery's fledgeling business.

T

Since I missed the initial offering I'm just curious as to when these or others may be available again? They are beautiful and I am very sad that I missed my chance to be a proud owner. Any information would be appreciated. If it means waiting for your business to get off the ground I will wait patiently of course.

Tikisgrl

D

i waited till this morning to open my package.. oh the Kon-Id vessels are wonderful! they're on display under our aluminum tree.. to show off to our friends tonight.

thanks sven, you're our own special Father Christmas!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 25, 2005 4:06 PM

On 2005-12-25 11:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
...an utterance that makes me want to remind everyone that I am selling these to collectors for their own personal collections, not for people that want to make a profit from them.
I hope the owners appreciate the fact that I made them available and (relatively) affordable to TCers, and do not plan to infringe on my Kon-Id gallery's fledgeling business.

Rest easy bigbro...I myself don't have a single entrepreneurial bone in my body! I can truthfully say that I've never made one red cent on tiki. I must say that I was, however, quite surprised by the amount of the winning bids on those auctions. It still amazes me how many tiki collectors there are out there who do not know about Tiki Central.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 3:18 PM

Interesting...

Z

Pages: 1 2 58 replies