Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Using Your Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 24 replies

T

Has this happened to you?!:

You invite guests over to your tiki lounge, and everyone is enjoying themselves. At some point, a guest gestures to one of your vintage/ keep-your-hands-off mugs, and says, "I'd like to drink out of that one!"

What's your response?

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2005-04-22 16:50 ]

Mix the drink.
Serve it in the rare mug.
Place the mug on the bar.
Have your guest sit on the couch (not at the bar).
Insert 20 foot straw.
Tell your guest to enjoy!

Tell them it has lead-based glaze, which makes it unsafe for drinking.

haha, ya that never happens to me. They know how much I covet my mugs, and look at them with respect. They love to hear about each mug and where it's from, and when someone new comes over they tell them to go check it out and ask me some questions.

I have certain mugs that are guest friendly, including plastic ones, then the mermaid & headhunter repros, then finally tiki farm, but only if I trust them.(and it usually must be replaceable) However, I'm talking about the friends that come over for beers and BBQs, family members and TC members can use whatever mug they want.

I had this one guy check out my collection and exclaim 'this is really cool, I want to start collecting something!'

S

Hey Greg,

You talkin' about me? Sorry man, next time I'll drink outta your Leilani mug. :wink:

J

Tell 'em you're gonna need a deposit before you pour the drink. That'll keep them from wanting to drink out of any of the rarer mugs.

I don't know how many times I've had non-tiki people at the bar and they suddenly decide that they don't like the inexpensive Moai mug they're drinking out of and decide to pull another off the shelf... my brother in law comes to mind immediately! At a Christmas party a few years ago I caught him trying to pour his Suffering Bastard into my Tepco skull mug (not super rare but has significance because it came from the Hawaiian Room). I politely told him not to and that seemed to quiet his urge until I saw him later in the evening drinking his single drink out of a volcano bowl! All I could do was just hope that he didn't drop the damn thing in his drunken stupor!

D

we have display mugs.. and then we have the mugs we serve drinks in!! (a mix of vintage, new and Target vessels)

but when we had 20+ people over for drinks, we used decorated plastic cups ~

e

T

I have my first tiki party coming this summer. I can only choose one mug to drink out of too. Every time that I bought a mug I was pictureing me at this party drinking from it. I will have a couple on hand for close friends and the rest of them can drink out of the beer can that they probably will be holding.

S
SES posted on Fri, Apr 22, 2005 6:53 PM

Someone needs to create a special mug called "Rude Bastard" just for them.
:wink:

On 2005-04-22 18:53, susane wrote:

You may have somethng there, susane!! I'd buy six of 'em!! :lol:

S

You could start the evening, after your first drink is served, and give a quick tour of your collection. Explain a bit about the rarity, value and significance of the mugs on display. Drag out Tiki Quest and such. This lets you share your passion, teach, share, spread the word and tells them there is a difference in what they hold and what is on display.

Why would I let anyone drink in my TiKi bar?

Tikigreg said
"a guest gestures to one of your vintage/ keep-your-hands-off mugs, and says, "I'd like to drink out of that one!"

I would probably point to his wife and say "okay and I'll try that one"

Swanky, you are too nice!

[ Edited by: Toxic TiKi on 2005-04-23 08:15 ]

On 2005-04-22 17:47, dogbytes wrote:
we have display mugs.. and then we have the mugs we serve drinks in!! (a mix of vintage, new and Target vessels)

but when we had 20+ people over for drinks, we used decorated plastic cups

That's what I do as well. All of my vintage mugs are up too high for me or a guest to touch with out the use of a step ladder. I also tell them that some contain lead based paint, and others do, but i'm not sure. Another excuse is that the previous owner didn't clean it well and it now has a civilization that has made an idol in my image.

The cheap target mugs and the ceramic tiki mug 4 pack are great for small groups of people, heck the Spensers tiki mug/sugar mix set are great for small groups. You never know when you will have a butter fingers in the group. But guest that are in greater numbers I use the cheap plastic ones from Oriental Trading Co. They have some awesome colbalt blue mugs (tribal mug) that are great for guest to take home.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-04-23 12:34 ]

Recipe: The Rude Bastard

1oz White Zinfandel
1oz Cherry wine cooler
1oz Zima
3oz Grape Pucker

Float 1/2 oz Bud Light on top

-Z

M

Friends... don't let friends... drink from vintage mugs!!!!

It's one of the laws of nature!!!!

H

Its only a mug...........

At my hut we got two kinda mugs. The mugs on the shelf behind the bar are the "fer drinkin'" mugs. All other mugs are the "fer lookin'" mugs.

On 2005-04-23 12:55, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

Recipe: The Rude Bastard

1oz White Zinfandel
1oz Cherry wine cooler
1oz Zima
3oz Grape Pucker

Float 1/2 oz Bud Light on top

-Z

... To be served in a broken Volcano Bowl, sideways, up the pooper :wink:

M

On 2005-04-23 16:35, hiltiki wrote:
Its only a mug...........

And your arm is just an arm... If you lose it ... no big deal...

hehehe

This didn't involve tiki mugs but involves drinking. We found that Duct Taping the drinking vessel to ones hand would prevent certain guests from dropping their glass, losing their glass and/or stealing other peoples drinks to work quite well.

The only problems thay had was going to the toilet.. but hey, that's their problem not mine!

Other than that, you all can bring your own gowd damn mug! hehehe

T

On 2005-04-25 16:01, roadkutter wrote:
We found that Duct Taping the drinking vessel to ones hand would prevent certain guests from dropping their glass, losing their glass and/or stealing other peoples drinks to work quite well.

Brilliant! That, my friend, is what they call in mathematics, an elegant solution. Thanks to everyone for offering their input. I myself have used the "crud-in-the-bottom-of-the-mug" alibi. Turns them off without their thinking you might poison them by putting lead in their drink.

And no Arty, I wasn't referring to you, but I'm going to keep my eye on you from now on! :wink:

Mai Tais just taste better from a Tiki Bob mug than a Big Lots tiki mug.

S

STAY AWAY FROM DUCT TAPING TO THE HAND! Cause when ya gotta go... :wink:

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2005-04-25 18:23 ]

H

Has anyone actually had guests over who had drinks in the tiki mugs and broke the mug?????

If you are not squeamish, than look here

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1401&forum=5

Pages: 1 24 replies