Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine Foreward

Pages: 1 11 replies

As usual, Bigbro has succinctly captured the past and current reality we know as tiki in his foreward in the premiere issue of Tiki Magazine.

I'm not sure if all the subscribers have received there edition yet, so I'll keep the suspense at a maximum.

With that said, I'd like to quote Sven as he explains why tiki will never fully go mainstream, and we've nothing to fear but the cyclical nature of fads themselves...

"Because true tiki style is such an individually driven art form, it has so far defied any major attempts of commercialization. Being too complex and multilayered to become a formula, Tiki demands almost obsessive devotion to the theme that perplexes the corporate world."

(this guy needs to write a book or something...)

T

Hmmmm - I don't have my issue yet - and I subscribed! How many people have their issue?

On 2005-04-24 19:12, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I'm not sure if all the subscribers have received there edition yet, so I'll keep the suspense at a maximum.

As a matter of fact - No, I haven't received my copy of Tiki Magazine yet and thank you Bong for not openin' yer big yapper and ruinin' it for me! I do, however expect to find my iss in the mailbox tomorrow and I thank you for heightening my anticipation.

God damn internet!!! Because of this, eveyone expects it to be " flash!". Shipping, Building, Mailing, etc.

The "Real world" takes time. Reality!! Reality!! Reality!! Arrrr!!!! It's paper, not digital blah blah blah!

The internet is gonna kill this version of tiki. It happened before and will happen again.

I subscribed last week, no issue as yet.
I'm sort of half forgetting, so it will be a special surprise when it arrives.

MG

I bet most of you guys will get it in the mail tomorrow. Nick said they were sending them out around Wednesday or Thursday. I'll talk to him tomorrow and find out what's up.

Make sure you check out the hot chick on the back cover designed by Ragnar.

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2005-04-24 21:13 ]

Thanks Bong, Geee...gosh, I am happy to have hit it right for such a hardcore old style True Believer.

Kids, don't let this become a repeat to the Barracuda Mag thread. Like Ben said, it is not called snail mail for no reason! I takes longer, but in exchange for that it will not go "poof" when you turn off your screen.

The only reason I have an issue is because Nick was at the Tiki Farm sale and I picked one up there. Otherwise, I'd be waiting also...

On 2005-04-24 23:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thanks Bong, Geee...gosh, I am happy to have hit it right for such a hardcore old style True Believer.

Bigbro,

I'll say one thing about aging, I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that nothing is written in stone.

I need to be flexible and allow things the opportunity to change is they need do (then kill 'em!).

Jeebus! The price is double for Canadians!
I sure hope it's worth it.

On 2005-04-25 11:19, Tikiwahine wrote:

Well, you tell us: Is it worth it to be Canadian?

On 2005-04-26 06:45, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2005-04-25 11:19, Tikiwahine wrote:

Well, you tell us: Is it worth it to be Canadian?

I run a mail order department, and it's often less expensive to ship packages to the US than it is within Canada. I estimate the cost to ship a magazine to me is less than $3US, unless of course it's sent by UPS, Air or packed in a box with styrofoam to boot. I'm not here to question why I'm being charged so much more, I'm sure they have their reasons.

I love tiki, so however I have to get my hands on it, I will. There are some things out if my reach, but there are many other people in the same situation. We often have to pay double or more for what we love. C'est la vie! I wouldn't trade my home for anything.

Maybe the question should be: Do you take tiki for granted? Probably not. You probably get as much enjoyment out of your purchases, finds, and events as possible. Just like me!

I'm happy where I am, with my house, my family and my climate. Being able to visit tiki-rich areas make it even more special. I'll be taking a road trip down to Portland in June, and I can hardly wait! Up here tiki is my dirty little secret that no one else understands. Just the way I like it. Especially when I can come here to chat with tiki lovers from around the globe!

Pages: 1 11 replies