Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: tiki drinks to bottle for party

Pages: 1 7 replies

IZ

Hi everyone,

A friend is having his annual Tiki de Mayo party in a couple of weeks. Usually we do big batches of tiki drinks, and will do so again. However, this time I'd also like to bottle up (in small, 8-12 oz bottles) drinks to serve. I'm thinking of doing a label on the bottle, and generally having some fun with it. However, I've been wondering what tiki drinks I should bottle up.

What do you think would bottle well and taste good a day later? Since there'd be no ice mixing until after it's open, I'm not sure what would work best.

K

That's a tough one to answer there IZ. Reason being, I've never tasted a day old tropical drink before. Okay, maybe that one time after the luau, but I was still really drunk and all the booze was gone 'cept for the dregs in the mugs.

Just kiddin'.

Anyhow, like I said, all the tiki drinks I've consumed have been fresh made. I think your best bet is to mix a few samples of the most common drinks and see what holds up best after a night in the fridge.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-04-25 22:35 ]

W

I've had leftover buckets of punch-n-booze in the past and they've been fine the next day and beyond. I also usually mix up a batch of something for road trips. (It's nice to know it's waiting for you back at the hotel and it makes drinking when you get up in the morning easier.)

Something with a strong fruity flavor works best. Rum hold up fine, I'd stick to the drinkable but cheap ones since its gettin' juiced.

For this sorta swell swill I usually work from a canned juice base. (The Hawaii's Own brand, usually available at Albertson's, has some good flavor combos.) I then tart it up with fresh lime juice which makes it taste handmade and cuts the high fructose corn syrup base a lotta canned punches have. (For bottling you may want to strain the pulp bits from the lime juice.) Another fruit syrup and grenadine usually finish it up, makes the flavor more complex. You can use a coconut extract if you want it coconutty but not creamy.

I like the bottling idea. I'd mix up a red grog, stick it in wine bottles, and make a big deal about the rare vintage you were fortunate to score.

IZ

Hi all,

Well I went with the Mai Tai, and bottled that. Probably a bad choice in hindsight since it's kinda a subtle drink, but I have been making them again recently (after a long hiatus) so I thought, what the hell. Unfortunately they seemed to get more tart as the night worn on. Don't know why, but that's what happened. I probably should have listened to "woofmutt" and strained the pulp out. I bet that's what did it!

But the concept is a good one. Everyone was interested in the label I put on the bottle, and if you hit the right drink, it could be fabulous. Next time, I'll do rum barrels. I've had no problems with the big batch of rum barrels, so that's what I'm going to do.

I, Zombie

[ Edited by: I, Zombie on 2005-05-09 12:06 ]

[ Edited by: I, Zombie on 2005-05-09 12:06 ]

I am having a tiki wedding and don't have a real bartender (this is a backyard affair) so I have to mix some bottles of drinks up beforehand. I was even thinking in milk jugs. Does anyone have a great punch or large quantity drink recipe? I found a Zombie large quantity recipe from the bartender at Trader Vics here in Atlanta, but thats all. I know it's bad form but I don't have a choice. Thanks!

[ Edited by: karitiki 2006-09-22 12:49 ]

This recipe makes a gallon.

HAWAII PUNCH
8 oz. Curacao, orange
16 oz Rum, dark
8 oz Rum, light
8 oz Grenadine
32 oz Orange Juice
32 Oz Pineapple juice
24 oz Sour Mix

You can simply shake it with crushed ice and garnish as you desire or it can be slushed-up in a blender as well.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2006-09-23 08:02 ]

I can across these sangria recipes and wanted to share them with the group. I'm going to try the red sangria recipe this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it came out.

http://www.sangria.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Pages: 1 7 replies