Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

1st Annual TikiCentral Oasis Crawl May 5,6,7 & 8 UPDATE: Drink Card pg. 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies

On 2005-05-02 10:21, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
We will be hosting Saturday, May 7th from 2-3:30 pm and serving the "Atomic Cocktail" (ca. 1951).

Bring your own bucket.

I'm afraid... what is the bucket for? the drink or the....?

I'll be crawling, but just as an onlooker/socializing/keeping mr. pineapple-bot on course!

I want the stamps on my badge!

Deery Luau and Mai Tai Murray would like to crawl about with y'all. We can't wait 'til Thursday!!

UB

I will be a host as well.

Geeeeezzzzzz,
Go away for a few days and find out all the party plannin' is goin' on behind your back--Just call me the CREEPY CRAWLIN' COUSIN!!!! And I'll most certainly volunteer to help out
the hosts/hostess for whatever assistance they may require. Let the games begin.....

~~Cousin Dave

Z

Sounds like there are going to be some great drinks/samples. Count me in. Crawlers don't forget your tip money.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2005-05-02 18:06 ]

T

On 2005-05-01 19:02, Monkeyman wrote:
Has there been a finalized crawl badge yet? How will it be distributed?

We'll just put up a new post saying "Pick up your badge AND free booze for lurkers and noobs in romm #xxx" and people will climb over their mothers to be there.

TM

There seems to be a lot of concern over 'unwanted' lurkers and newbes going for the free booze. Personally, I feel if you gotta card, bring it on...when the booze runs out, the booze runs out. Suggestion: You could mass email the card only to those that have posted here. I know it will be a lot of work, but probably it will pay off. Most TCers have their email attached to their profile. You could set a deadline for crawlers, say 12noon Wednesday...then get the emails out by Wednesday night for those going to Oasis on Thurs. Then you could have a list for the Crawlers / Hosts at Oasis. Just a suggestion...

M

I agree Matt. If needed send me some of the names and I will help with the emailing efforts.

Atomic Cocktail and I will be crawling when we're not hosting. (Although I think mine will be more of a leisurely stroll.)

Crap! I leave tomorrow for LA and might not have computer access to download and print my card. Al and Shelly, do you think you could print out a card for me and I will pick it up at your room? It would be much appreciated. Thanks and Mahalo,
Jeff

put tikihula and i down for 1pm-2:30pm on sat the 7th. X will mark the spot!

Well, I told Mike he needed to register here at Tiki Central so he cold be an "official" TC'er and get in on the crawl. Be prepared for the grand-debut of "Volcanopants" at Tiki Central!

-Merging pirate and tiki cultures-

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate on 2005-05-02 23:12 ]

Volcanopants is a great name.

Cool

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2005-05-03 08:38 ]

I intend to host Friday 2-4pm, so as not to clash with the 4-6 spot that's taken.
Ran

Sorry for chiming in so late, but please count me, Tikivixen, and Bill in as crawlers.

He's actually not drinking, he's just my official designated...uh...support system.

:wink:

Lisa aka tikivixen

I would love to be a-crawlin'! Point me to my card please! I want to laminate it! :D

On 2005-05-02 18:22, Tiki-bot wrote:

On 2005-05-01 19:02, Monkeyman wrote:
Has there been a finalized crawl badge yet? How will it be distributed?

We'll just put up a new post saying "Pick up your badge AND free booze for lurkers and noobs in romm #xxx" and people will climb over their mothers to be there.

Well, what the hell, it is Mother's Day.

On 2005-05-02 21:49, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
Be prepared for the grand-debut of "Volcanopants" at Tiki Central!

Hell, we must be brothers. That's me {"Volcanopants"} after a session at Taco Bell.

F

I would like to crawl too, please.

Tina Dahling! Where you been hiding your luscious self?

I

Countdown is on. Can't wait.

T

On 2005-05-02 18:44, Tiki Matt wrote:
There seems to be a lot of concern over 'unwanted' lurkers and newbes going for the free booze....

I wouldn't call my smack-talk "a lot of concern". :wink: I just think the whole practice of lurking here (not joining or participating prior to this thread) and then chiming in to say they'll be there to drink your booze is very rude.

SoCal TCers have some kind of social function just about every week where these new members could hook up and meet other TC folk if that's what they want to do. Granted, some new posters may be from places where tiki and/or TCers are non-existant, but that doesn't stop them from participating here on the forum before this thread.

I'm all for new people coming out and seeing what Oasis is all about, and I honestly don't think the room crawl should be some TC-only elitist event. (I want to clarify I'm talking about recently new members who have posted only to this thread, not ocassional visitors who have 10 or 20 posts who joined months or years ago.) All I'm saying is I think their behavior is rude. I only hope everyone has a bouncer in their room because people who only join TC so they can post they will be coming to your room for free drinks....well, we'll see how that goes.

M

On 2005-05-03 00:01, suburbanpagan wrote:
I would love to be a-crawlin'! Point me to my card please! I want to laminate it! :D

I'm not sure if my card will be laminated, but I know I will be shellac'd!!!

Now granted I have been on the boards for only a short while and don't post a great deal but I think some of this anti-lurker setiment could potentially chase a someone off who happened to stumble onto the boards recently.....now I have been to a few events...not many but a few and this is my first TO.......but if I just got on the boards and saw this type of talk and I was genuinly interested in meeting up with folks this might chase me off......

On the flip side I do understand where Tiki-bot is coming from......some are just here for the liquor and that sucks.....but isn't there always a couple like that at every party or event......

My Two Cents Pay No Attention

Dr. Shocker
Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class

[ Edited by: Dr. Shocker on 2005-05-03 09:57 ]

yikes. i lurk way more than i post, but i have been to every oasis except for one. i was all fired up to crawl , and even donate a bottle of fine fine rum, but now im scurred that the Xtreeme //\essage I3oardies will keck my ass. i agree with matt. i think this is a good opportunity to MEET PEOPLE im not even in it to drink, hell, i have my own bar in my room, i dont need free drinks, i think this is just a really nice way to meet some of the people that attend the oasis that you dont see every day. this whole "oh noes, the n00bs are going to drink all my booooze" is lame, and i think most people have enough class to realize that this is not a frat boy party till you puke deal. so i say relax and get into the aloha spirit! :) i look forward to meeting most of you this weekend! :) so is there room on the list for two nice young single girls to crawl? its not like we can handle more than two drinks so no worries. we just want to meet nice people! WORD!

P

I agree. This is going to be about having fun and meeting people. But the whole thing did make me go out and buy extra ingredients. My biggest fear is running out. Well, that and getting overwhelmed. Pre-mixing everything produces as lesser quality result. Mixing every drink from scratch one at a time could make for a disneyland effect; a long wait for a short ride. I realize this could get expensive, but I'm cool with it. Having the cards will lessen the impact some.

I think the point that is being missed here is that if you want to MEET people you will have your pick of 1000 other folks who are attending the event.

You should be "MEETING" people EVERYWHERE at the oasis. Walk outside your room and MEET the guy getting ice, walk into the reef bar at any time during the day and MEET a half dozen folks sitting at a table, stroll through the vendor area and MEET the 50 artisans and business people selling product. Hang out by the pool and MEET the people sitting in the 100 lounge chairs. There is no shortage of MEETing people. The beauty of being at a focused event like this is ANYONE there is a good person to MEET. They are ALL tiki fanatics.

The point of a Tiki Central event is for folks who have been MEETing eachother every MONTH, every WEEK and every DAY online to actually MEET in person. To put a real face with the fake names we have created for ourselves.

I personally do not think that folks just want free drinks. We are all adults with jobs and can buy more liquor than we would ever want to consume. I think that the folks who are just posting to attend this function are doing so because they dont want to "miss out" on anything happening at the event.

There is already PLENTY going on. Costume contests, musical entertainment, nude entertainers, shopping areas, treasure hunts, modern architecture tours, drink contests, and just hanging out.

That being said, the crowds will dictate what happens with this mini crawl. The logistics WON'T work if 100 people try to migrate from room to room. If there are only 30 of us than WHO cares if there are a few new folks.

Keep in mind people. You dont all have be included in all the side parties. THE OASIS ITSELF IS ALREADY ONE FRIGGIN HUGE PARTY.

Now lets all think happy thoughts. We are all going to have to see eachother in a couple days and its very uncomfortable to finally meet the person who you have deemed to be an ASS.

I think Mr. Pineapple-Bot's underlying point is, there have been problems with people attending the Oasis in years past, who weren't cool, doing things like crashing room parties, and things go a-missing, bad vibes are brought in, ukulele jams are disrupted by electronica, showers are taken in party rooms, beach ball flogging is happening... weird stuff. The group on TC is generally pretty tight, attending events, getting to know each other via the board, and then finally getting to put a face to the login name. The impersonal nature of most internet chat rooms doesn't really apply to the majority of people involved in TC, and we all love that. You can't really spout off anonymously here, because you may want to share a volcano bowl with that guy at some point.

My feeling is, if you think these anti-lurker-posts apply to you, they probably don't. If you're oblivious, and probably haven't looked at TC since you signed up to drink Dr. Z's free booze, maybe it does apply to you.

I also think that it's a little discouraging for some of us who've been going to the Oasis every year, and other events, and have gotten to know the many lovely people from all over the place who are part of this scene, to see people jump all over free drinks, but watch Otto and Doe struggle to get volunteers to help at the door, while tickets are selling on EBAY? That's so not the spirit of this community, and it bothers us that there have been some very ugly, misinformed rumors popping up on this board concerning the management of the event, and that we all know there will be another bitch fest after the event about everything that went wrong. It's sad, and if you've been around for a while, you know the history.

If your feeling are hurt that someone is implying you are a booze grubbing lurker, well then, prove us wrong! be a model guest, introduce yourself, and join the party! We were all newbies at one point, and I personally thank AlnShelly for making Mr. Pinapple-Bot and myself feel incredibly welcome at our first Oasis way back when we didn't know anyone, and actually thought Martiki was a bit snooty! HAHAHA.

See you all soon,
Xoxox
Mrs Pineapple

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-05-03 10:31 ]

M

YES--the tip idea is a good one!!! A buddy of mine has bought $200 worth of booze to GIVE away when he hosts a room!! I think crawlers should bring a bunch of one dollar bills and tip at LEAST one dollar per drink. It seems only fair for the hosts effort and booze contribution. I am recommending this as a suggestion, not a rule.
Whaddya think?

M

YES--the tip idea is a good one!!! A buddy of mine has bought $200 worth of booze to GIVE away when he hosts a room!! I think crawlers should bring a bunch of one dollar bills and tip at LEAST one dollar per drink. It seems only fair for the hosts effort and booze contribution. I am recommending this as a suggestion, not a rule.
Whaddya think?

I will be tipping, but in the spirit of burlesque, only into g-strings...

and I'm not even drinking, I just like the g-strings....

You could tip and/or serve those drinks in tiny dixie cups (4 ounces). With as many participants as we have hosting, that would be a LOT of alcohol to consume if a high ball glass was served at each room.

Make the drinks small.

D

mrs. pineapple wrote:

Otto and Doe struggle to get volunteers to help at the door
I worked the main gate for one session last year.
Not to get anything for free, but to make myslef meet and greet people.
It's my nature not to reach out and talk to strangers, so that was surprisingly alot of fun. I'm glad I did it. It really was fun.
I totally can see both sides to this issue here.
Basically I enjoy my hermitdom. And have only ventured out to a Tiki Central event or two. At these events I have met a few people who were basically lurkers on this site.
I enjoyed there company very much and the event would not have been the same had they not been there.
So I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to meet someone who may be to shy to post here but once they have met and socialized a little with TCer's they might feel more comfortable in joining in on the forums.
Last year at Oasis I went to Alnshely's room for a TC visit and stayed for quite awhile, but felt kind of bad seeing how hard Al was working behind the bar, making sure everyone had a drink in their hand.
By all appearances he was having a great time himself.
I chose not to have a drink that night.
I guess I felt a little unworthy.
Maybe silly on my part, but really I was there for the company not any free hooch.
I guess it all comes down to manners. Either you have them or you don't.
I like the tip idea alot!
Oh! And I wont ever pass on a chance at one of Al's drinks again, that is if I am lucky enough to be offered one :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-03 11:32 ]

T

On 2005-05-03 09:53, Dr. Shocker wrote:
Now granted I have been on the boards for only a short while and don't post a great deal but I...

On the flip side I do understand where Tiki-bot is coming from......some are just here for the liquor and that sucks.....but isn't there always a couple like that at every party or event......

[ Edited by: Dr. Shocker on 2005-05-03 09:57 ]

Dr S, this is why I qualified my statement. It is not directed at people like yourself. You did not join 3 days ago with your first post being "We'll be there to drink yer booze!". I look forward to meeting you and everyone at Oasis. Well, maybe not everyone!

I didn't post this to scare anybody off the board or away from the room crawl. All I said was I think they are being a bit rude. If they show up with a smile and a bottle and a story, then great! I fear those I was speaking of are the least likely to get the message.

I applaud Dr Z for spearheading this event and think it will be great. I'm looking forward to being the first person bounced out of Dr. Z's room!

the crawler list sits at an estimated 60 people right now.

On 2005-05-03 11:26, Monkeyman wrote:
the crawler list sits at an estimated 60 people right now.

I think technically at 6 months pregnant, I'm more of a waddle, than a crawl.

Mr. Bot and I have scads of $1 bills from our garage sale last weekend, bring on the gyrating drink servers! woohoo!

Tiki-bit I agree whole heartedly....just playing a lil Devils Advocate....and pointing out the other side.......I had hoped you wern't directing the coments at me....which you wern't......I so can't wait to meet up with many of you.....

Please include VitalTikiDr & the Mrs. in the crawl. CAn we help with any booze???? Let us know! Thanks!

For those of you experienced TCers who know many in the group. Extend a hand to the folks on this list during the crawl to help them get acquainted with the regulars at Tiki Central.

Vital Tiki Dr + Guest
ISO Tiki
MySmartLoan
Cyntiki + Guest
Tiki Sooze + Guest
Yuk Fu + Guest
Tiki Crow
Betty Bleu
Tiki Brini
Tiki Bare
Poison Ivy

See you all there. I done with this thread.

M

On 2005-05-03 11:37, mrs. pineapple wrote:

Mr. Bot and I have scads of $1 bills from our garage sale last weekend, bring on the gyrating drink servers! woohoo!

WHADDYA talking about--I'm not serving drinks!?!?! :)

for you smiley, all you need to do is gyrate in the santa hat :)

C

COOL! Hopefully that means that the stamp card link will be posted soon - our plane leaves Wed. morning at 6am for Oasis, so hoping it posts tonight.....otherwise we'll have to look for a Kinkos in Palm Springs to get into our email & print off the card.
:drink::drink::drink:

M

On 2005-05-03 12:15, mrs. pineapple wrote:
for you smiley, all you need to do is gyrate in the santa hat :)

ZAZZ!!!

T

On 2005-05-03 11:56, VitalTikiDr wrote:
Please include VitalTikiDr & the Mrs. in the crawl. CAn we help with any booze???? Let us know! Thanks!

If you do a seach here on something like "favorite rums", you will get a whole slew of recommendations of which ones are preferred for sipping or mixing quality cocktails.

Part of being in this community means taking the time to get to know these people (and their bar-tending needs). Seems logical to me to take a look back at this thread and see what people are planning to serve and bring something they can use, if donating to the cause is your thing. You'll be a smash(ed) hit in any room if you show up with some Barbancourt or Pyrat XO or Havana Gold. Leave the cheap Bacardi & Captain Morgan at home.

Tiki-bot:
Part of being in this community means taking the time to get to know these people (and their bar-tending needs). Seems logical to me to take a look back at this thread and see what people are planning to serve and bring something they can use, if donating to the cause is your thing. You'll be a smash(ed) hit in any room if you show up with some Barbancourt or Pyrat XO or Havana Gold. Leave the cheap Bacardi & Captain Morgan at home.

Tiki-bot

Myself and WooHoo Wahine are new to the world of tiki and are very excited about spending a tiki weekend meeting new friends and kicking back in the sun. Since January we've been to Tiki Fest in Santa Monica, Shag With a Twist (Tiki News Night), Tiki Farm Parking Lot festival, bought items from Bamboo Ben (met Mrs. Bamboo), Crazy Al (met Mrs.AL), Judy at Bamboo 2 U, met and bought from the friendly and fun guys at Tiki Farm, met Otto, have eaten at Bahooka's & Trader Vics B.H., spent around $1000 at Oceanic Arts, created a tiki "paradise" in my home, have turned others on to "tiki", discovered the joy of treasure (tiki) hunting at swapmeets, antique malls and thrift shops, and have tried to visit as many places listed in Tiki Road Trip as possible. Everyone has been friendly and accepting of us "noobs" Then I read your posts and wonder if you will offer the same feeling of Aloha and welcome as everyone else has. Trust me, our posts will add up as time goes by...So please don't prejudge due to a lack of posts. I hope to gleen "tiki insight" from you and I'll even buy you drink at the Reef (or my room at the hotel next door.) Am I off to a good start???*

T

As I already re-stated, I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this forum or the event. If you re-read my posts carefully, all I said was I thought it was rude to use this event (the room crawl, NOT Tiki Oasis) as your entry point to Tiki Central. I'm not here to judge ANYone's "tiki-cred".

As others have said, there have been myriad opportunities to meet, greet, and drink with fellow TCers outside of Oasis (as well as AT Oasis). I've been here for a while and have never seen a single thread bring in so many new members. It just seems odd that so many chose this particular post to "de-lurk-ify".

MT

Delurkifyer here. Count me in on the Oasis Crawl! I would definitely host if I had a room at the Caliente Tropics or Vagabond. But I will be staying off-site at my family's place, right up the street from Oasis. I'll be working a couple of shifts at the gates. I'll bring some booze for the Oasis crawl. And this:

A

Here it is!

A Tiki Central Tiki Oasis Crawl Card can be yours if you follow these...

Eight Simple Rules For Damaging Your Liver...

1. Right click on the card.
  2. Print.
  3. Bring your crawl card to Oasis.
  4. Visit Shell in the Pacific to receive a card condom (plastic protective sleeve) and piece of string while supplies last!
  5. Locate Room Host rooms and note serving times.
  6. Be Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.
  7. Show room hosts your appreciation.
  8. Have a great time!

PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Right Click on the card.

2. Select "Print Image" or "View Image" and then Print.

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2005-05-04 08:50 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies