Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

1st Annual TikiCentral Oasis Crawl May 5,6,7 & 8 UPDATE: Drink Card pg. 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies

Didnt we mention that you must have at least 200 posts under your Tiki Central ID to qualify?

Im just kidding....

I'd like to crawl if Lisa will let me sneak out of our room. We're bringing our 3 year old daughter this year.

I totally agree with Monkeyman.
I admit to not posting enough as I should, but I try to partake in as much "real life" events as I can. Since the Oasis this year is even bigger than last years' event, there has to be a filter for the side parties, since it's not logical to expect room hosts to try to entertain 150-200 people most of which they don't know, and will never know because they just came to get hammered for free.
See ya'll soon,
Ran

On 2005-04-27 20:41, PoisonIvy wrote:
What about people who do not belong to Tiki Central?

Anyone who shows up with a card will be treated with aloha spirit in my room (and will be treated with alcoholic spirits until I run out).

However, in the grand scheme of things, the fact is that a lot of us here are 'ohana. Real 'ohana -- we are with each other through good times & bad, we are there for each other. Not just what you lurkers read on this board. My friends here have helped me through some serious times, and I know that others have had the same experience.

Meeting you at Oasis for the first time is a grand and wonderful thing. Lots of folks find the courage to start posting on TC because of positive experiences at events, and that's great.

I understand it can be intimidating jumping in and joining the group. But we all found a way to do it, so when someone shows up and says "hey, I want that!" a few days after a TC-specific opportunity appears, well good god, it can't help but sound kinda pathetic.

Don't take advantage of the hospitality of others. Do your part to contribute and give back to the community. Anything else is bad juju.

Don't think I will really need a card to be crawling around the place but sign me up anyway

the drunken hat and i will definitely be crawlin'. and watch out for the race to visit the most places....the hat may be small, but i hear he runs fairly fast. :wink:

we will (in conjunction with tikihula), host a room as well at the royal sun. im sure the hat or hulaboy will post more info later on.

great idea guys! :drink:

N

I'll be crawling. I'm better at drinking than mixing.

Puamana and I would love to do a bit of crawlin'.

are any of the hosts staying at the royal sun? if so pm me. i would like to plan on inviting the crawlers to our hotel at the same time. if there are enough of us hosting i think we can lure the folks from the tropics for a couple of hours.

M

I know there's a certain scavenger hunt quality to this event, but I'd like to encourage those who are interested in hosting and are staying at Royal Sun, Travelodge, or other places to please announce it here.

Shelly, can you please make a note on your list of hosts when they are at other hotels besides Caliente?

It will be easier to strategize!

This is going to be such fun! I can't wait for y'all to taste the new original concoction from Beachbum Berry that Weird Unc will be pouring. For more information on where you can get the recipe (in the Maikai Gents new CD package), check this thread out:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14350&forum=11&6

Just had to make the plug. Thanks, gang.

-I. Grogg

I can't wait to see everyone staggering from Reef to room and back all weekend trying to find and drink all the goodies on the kard.....

Can we leave a spot so we can put our names (aka TC Nick) on the cards....

Switch Crawl-Bot to "ON"!

I'm a little unclear on the time-frame for this. Will it be a true crawl, like going from one room to the next? Or is it more of an "open studios" thing where each server sets a time and we need to keep track of who's serving on what days? Sounds like a lot of work considering what condition my condition will be that weekend, but still fun!

Eeek! Monkey man and Humu, I've been so guilty of not actively participating as much as I should. I've been doing more TC spying that posting, so Monkeyman you're comments struck an arrow through my heart. Last event I went to was Halloween at the PO.Not an excuse, but just a lot of stuff going on last year, I'm trying to do my part and contribute as much as I can--and that will not be just for the Oasis!

And I too will be pouring until the Martinis run out! :D

Count me in as a crawler for sure!

I'd also like to host, but will be stuck at the Travelodge at the geographical edge of Oasis -- "Here be Dragons!".

I figure a better way to contribute, meet people, and at the same time learn from some master mixologists is to offer myself up as an official traveling bartender/barback for those hosts with a lot of volume that would like to take a break for a while, or just need someone to go on a booze run, clean up a bit, whatever.

I'm not sure how to handle the logistics of it, but if there are others who would like to help in this way, we could have a separate badge that indicates that we're available so that the hosts don't have to feel reluctant to ask for help when they really need it. And if we start getting burned out we can just put on the regular badge.

Sound like a good idea? I haven't been to Oasis before and maybe the volumes won't be so bad to make this an issue, but I thought I'd make the offer and see what you folks think...

Cheekily yours,

TiC

A

Thanks for the latest input and suggestions!

If you are staying off-site of the Tropics and are planning to host. Let me know and we can try to get the word out. It would be awful to plan a party and have no one show because they couldn't find you! We won't let that happen!

Maybe I can make a master list of info and keep it with me at all times. Then I can become a walking, drinking supplier of possibly incorrect information!

Or maybe we could put a message board up somewhere at the Tropics where people could post their latest developments.

I will try to leave some space on the card for one's name. Otherwise how would we be able to tell them apart? Good thinkin' Shocker.

Cheekygirl. Not to worry! That post was certainly not directed at you!

Tonga N Cheeky, Excellent suggestion! Lending a hand is always appreciated, even if the offer is not taken up on, it is certainly nice to know you are there and your heart is in the right place.

Don't feel shy about asking your host if there is anything you can do or bring to the room either before, during or after! Donations of ice, booze, citrus, juice, cups, etc. are sure to be appreciated. Or lending a hand squeezing limes, making garnishes, measuring liquids,and multiplying amouts, filling cups with ice and of course, cleaning up etc. would surely be a big help! Who knows, a host might be so appreciative that, who knows, maybe you will get lucky or something! Just Kidding!

Now,back to the drawing board, literally!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2005-04-28 13:11 ]

C

Me & my hubby will love to be crawling! We are trying to get a Pupu event going for Saturday and will bring some samples on the Saturday Dusk crawl!

Also, I would love to donate a bottle of BOOZE!

Me, crawly crawly, too, pleeze!

K

Boy, am I late to the party! I would so love to be on said top secret crawl list. And if there's need of any libations, PLEASE put me down as a contributor & let me know!

I plan to suck up new mixological knowledge like a sponge... literally & figuratively, but not necessarily in that order.

is the travelogde and the sun on the same side of the tropics? or are they on opposite sides? sorry this is my first oasis so i wouldn't know. doesn't look like any of the other hosts are staying at the sun. perhaps hula and i should combine our effort with someone at the nearest motel to the sun.

me thinks i will make something in the style of grog. or maybe even blackbeard's ghost. hmmmm i'll have to ponder this a little longer.

I will try and get a room near 135 downstairs and will again host the "Tiki Chillout Chamber" a low key hideaway from the raucus neighbors.

The tippling in the room will of the be non-alcoholic variety TBD

Open late nights Friday & Saturday

Oh please, please, with tiki sugar on it, count me in for the CRAWL! I would be happy to donate a bottle or two(of anything)to any good hearted host. Oh, and can I bring the hubby too, his name is Mr. Jamie TikiButt.

Thank you,
(.)Tiki Sooze

DZ

On 2005-04-28 11:57, Tiki-bot wrote:
Will it be a true crawl, like going from one room to the next? Or is it more of an "open studios" thing where each server sets a time and we need to keep track of who's serving on what days?

It's actually a combination of the two. Room Hosts set their own days and hours: morning, noon or night (or morning again!), any time from Thursday to Sunday. Crawlers check out the posted times on the Room Host doors and show up at those designated times. However, since there are certainly timeslots that are more "prime" than others, there's definitely the possibility of multiple rooms being open at the same time, and then you may find yourself crawling directly from one room (or hotel) to another!

Part of the fun is in the planning!

Okole Maluna! :wink:

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

T

On 2005-04-28 15:10, the drunken hat wrote:
me thinks i will make something in the style of grog. or maybe even blackbeard's ghost.

(...banging fists on table)
Blackbeard's Ghost, Blackbeard's GhOOOooost :D

I'm bringing two 4 ft. resin folding tables, that will be used Fri. Night for the Grog Contest, but will only be using 1 for the Crawl. If someone needs to borrow it, for mixing up drinks they are more than welcome. First person who asks, will receive. All I ask is that you return it safe and sound after your hosting!

On another note, and sorry, this is off topic, Drunken Hat, have you considered entering in the Taste off? That grog would be perfect. I know you are staying at the Travelodge, but you are more than welcome to mix in my room, or I can store it for you in a cooler prior to the event.

And Shell, it was just my own guilt barking at me. No worries....

YF

Might there be room for one more, honey? (Well, two crawlers, actually, but one drinks, the other doesn't... :) Thanks, mateys!

[ Edited by: yuk fu on 2005-04-28 18:38 ]

It's gonna be fun.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-04-29 13:33 ]

Rebecca and I wanna host and crawl. We will probably make our Funky Monkey. Let your freak flag fly!

Holy Crap! Sounds like a party! It's not good to stay away from TC for too long. We would have been wondering where everyone was going. Count Mickee and me in for the crawl! Mrs. Fury will be in search of the Lemon Drop.

If I was a lurker or newbie going to Oasis......Hosting would be a great way to meet lots of fun people but we would love still love you for providing booze!

I need to get out of the house.............

Ooooooooaaaaaaaaaaasis!!!!!!

TM

Be on the lookout for the sign. I'm gonna try and rig it up in the window...

BonkoFury: Lemon Drop Martini, amongst other varieties of martinis (see above) Sat. 2pm-4pm in CheekyGirl Hut! :drink:

M
Moki posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 7:00 PM

Ummmm Matt.....
I think the date on your sign might be wrong.... The crawl is for 5/6 :wink:

Unless you mean it's for Friday from 4:00 - 6:00 (sorry, I'm slow!!)

[ Edited by: Moki on 2005-04-29 19:01 ]

Me & the Mrs. Akua will be happy crawlers.

S

Count us in as two more crawlers!

Wish I could transport a little taste of the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures from one coast to the other, but not this year- not without a Tiki Teleporter, anyway.

This is the greatest idea -EVER, Dr. Z.... I only wish I was staying the weekend and had a room to play a host! You know me - would love to play bartender (famed for my Shrunken Skulls). I'll be signing up for the crawl - as you know I am there for Friday only (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know come dressed as a pirate) - some of you may have to volunteer to carry me back to my car to sleep it off!

Crap, I am a free-loader! Well actually I have been known to go to a few hoity toity events, helped people move and even bring alcohol or bartend (At Dr. Z's only!)... But lately I must admit I have been lax on posting and attending much of anything (can we tell someone is feeling guilty?)

But I promise NOT to be a one-man drain on the Oasis crawl..... I'm probably only good for about 2 or 3 drinks before I start to enter into unchartered waters - us pirates have to be careful what waters we sail into, but for you folks, I'll be throwing a good deal of caution to the wind! Me ship, the Private Reserve, arrives Friday for a one day only visit to who ever's bar may be hostin'-

On 2005-04-28 12:57, CheekyGirl wrote:
Eeek! Monkey man and Humu, I've been so guilty of not actively participating as much as I should. I've been doing more TC spying that posting, so Monkeyman you're comments struck an arrow through my heart. Last event I went to was Halloween at the PO.Not an excuse, but just a lot of stuff going on last year, I'm trying to do my part and contribute as much as I can--and that will not be just for the Oasis!

And I too will be pouring until the Martinis run out! :D

Yeah, me too Cheekygirl - feeling pretty darned guilty - and I have you beat for non-attendance- haven't shown my face around since last Dr. Z's party July 31st... everyone knows I sold out to concentrate on getting into my pirate crew, the Port Royal Privateers
... then I sold them out to start school in January so NO ONE has seen my face around for along time.

-Merging pirate and tiki cultures-

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate on 2005-05-01 14:23 ]

On 2005-04-28 15:10, the drunken hat wrote:
me thinks i will make something in the style of grog. or maybe even blackbeard's ghost. hmmmm i'll have to ponder this a little longer.

I second it, make that a Blackbeard's Ghost!

-Merging pirate and tiki cultures-

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate on 2005-05-01 14:17 ]

On 2005-04-27 00:20, PiPhiRho wrote:
I'm willing to mix, but I'm at the Vagabond, not at the Tropics. If somebody with a room at the Tropics wants to sponsor me then we can do that. Otherwise, a walk to the Vagabond will be necessary. The drink I am considering is the Suffering Bastard.

This is just a suggestion, but I would suspect that alot of the enthusiasm for crawling will wain if the off-site hotels are not within easy walking distance. There is also the concern about driving (the DUI factor). If at all possible people who are offering to bartend off-site need to be located in nearby hotels, or perhaps (as some have already done here) on-site hotel rooms can be volunteered by persons at the Caliete used for the off-site hosts.

DZ

On 2005-05-01 15:03, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
This is just a suggestion, but I would suspect that alot of the enthusiasm for crawling will wain if the off-site hotels are not within easy walking distance. There is also the concern about driving (the DUI factor). If at all possible people who are offering to bartend off-site need to be located in nearby hotels, or perhaps (as some have already done here) on-site hotel rooms can be volunteered by persons at the Caliete used for the off-site hosts.

Well, there's not a whole lot we can do about the location of the other hotels, and we're certainly not going to discriminate against any TCers wanting to participate as room hosts simply because they're "off-site". Invite us over, and we'll come over! As far as the DUI aspect, trust me, the only thing that is more valuable than ice at Oasis is your parking space! I highly doubt anybody is going to be driving anywhere that isn't absolutely essential once they've parked at the Tropics. As for myself, I'm actually lookin' forward to a nice stroll or two "outside the compound" to some of the other hotels.

Okole Maluna!

Once, I arrive, my car is going to stay in that parking place! You are correct, the parking spots at the Tropics are pretty valuable. And I suspect there isnt' going to be much parking enforcement by the Tropics.

I think a walking stroll by the crawlers wouldn't be a bad idea, hum...maybe I'll bring my bike! Can you get a DUI for riding a bike tossed?

M

Has there been a finalized crawl badge yet? How will it be distributed?

DZ

On 2005-05-01 19:02, Monkeyman wrote:
Has there been a finalized crawl badge yet? How will it be distributed?

We're going to wait another day or two to see if there are any 'last minute' folks that want to sign on as room hosts before posting the download link for the cards. (The cards have every room hosts name on it, y'see...) The link will either be on this thread or a thread of its own. When it's up, simply go to it, download and print out your card! I'd suggest using a heavy paper or card stock, just for durabilities sake.

Any more room hosts? Speak now or you'll be left off the card!

On 2005-05-01 17:57, CheekyGirl wrote:
Can you get a DUI for riding a bike tossed?

Ummmmmm. Yes. Please don't ask me how I know, but let's just way it had to do with a certain Belgian Beer Festival....and a certain barleywine I took a liking to. Technically, it's not a "D"UI. I forget the actual charge, but it wasn't cheap to defend.

T

I'll be squeezin' limes & serving up my crawl juice in the infamous & scandalous room 135 on Saturday from 4-6 pm.... !!

All I have to say is "Woo Hoo!" Count me in as a crawler :)

2 knees,2 hands.........I can crawl!!!!!! Please count me in!!!

We will be hosting Saturday, May 7th from 2-3:30 pm and serving the "Atomic Cocktail" (ca. 1951).

Bring your own bucket,

ROOM 220

"Classic Clothing for a Modern World"

http://www.atomiccocktail.net

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2005-05-04 21:49 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies