Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

1st Annual TikiCentral Oasis Crawl May 5,6,7 & 8 UPDATE: Drink Card pg. 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies

H

As I mentioned, I'm going to be hosting a bar while also doing my Second Annual Aloha Wear Release to the Wild. It'll work just like last year, here are the rules:

1. You must be someone I have met before.

2. The item must fit you AS IS -- no alterations. These poor things have already been sitting neglected for too long, and the item may fit someone else at Oasis perfectly.

3. You must try the item on to confirm it fits you.

4. You cannot take an item with the intent of giving it to someone else, it must be for your own use.

5. These are gifts for my friends. I will not accept anything in exchange for these items, except for a warm hug and a smile. Seeing these lovely items get worn is all the payment I'm looking for.

I've been too busy this year to find the time to take photos of the items I have available, but I have about twice as much stuff as I did last year, once again it's almost all women's items, and are in a range of sizes -- pretty much any size but my own freakishly small size, 'cause if it fits me, I keep it!

It's been really fun for me to see last year's dresses & shirts out at events. Please come try a few items on and see if something wants to go home with you!

Humu, I'm all over that!

I fortunately was able to fit into a little blue and green number, that I fit into last year, some dresses, damn I wished I could squeeze into, but RULES, and my damned HIPS! It just means that that particular lovely dress was not intended for me.

On another note, PhiPhiRho, I'm making 4 kinds of drinks, I don't know what I've gotten myself into! These particular drinks can't be pre-mixed, so I'm bringing 4 shakers and plan on doubling the mix each time, so I can make 2 drinks at a time, AND, I'm going to free pour. In my bartending days, I was pretty damn accurate. I hope this will help. I'm just gonna start mixing and yell out "OKAY, WHO WANTS A KEYLIME MARTINI??!!?"

And I look at being host as getting reaquainted with some TCer as well as getting to know some new faces.

"Make new friends, but keep the old some are silver some are gold!"

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-05-07 10:36 ]

OL

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I will be crawling with my favorite gonzo photo-journalist, Krustiki. So as all of the hosts are dealing with hordes of lurking, party-crashing, free-booze-seekers, we expect that your rooms will be immaculately tidy and festively decorated. You should be appropriately attired and camera-ready, and your drinks should be elegantly and professionally presented with all the necessary garnishes, swizzle sticks, straws, cocktail napkins, etc. Thank you.

On 2005-05-03 10:40, mrsmiley wrote:
YES--the tip idea is a good one!!! A buddy of mine has bought $200 worth of booze to GIVE away when he hosts a room!!... It seems only fair for the hosts effort and booze contribution. I am recommending this as a suggestion, not a rule.
Whaddya think?

Yes, I agree. Having done a guest bartending stint at Dr. Z's I can attest that it is expensive to host free drinks. Just one bottle of Demerara set you back about $25... I will be tipping!! Its the least we can do to defray the costs of those nice enough to offer their rooms and bartending skills.

T

Hey Dr.Z-

Doyou have a list of the times that everyone is hosting? I want to figure out my time, but need to know what's open?

Thanx,
The Pugster

A

Humuhumu,
I am bring a few muumuus and such to add to your alohawear release. Thank you for bringing back a soon to be Oasis Tradition!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

DZ

On 2005-05-03 20:02, TikiPug wrote:
Hey Dr.Z-

Doyou have a list of the times that everyone is hosting? I want to figure out my time, but need to know what's open?

Thanx,
The Pugster

Some folks have posted their days/hours here already, but for the most part, I think you'll just have to keep an eye on room doors and windows for them.

I, for one, will be hosting my usual Thursday night soiree for all the early-arrivals, and will then be "Crawl-hosting" at random times throughout the weekend (Look for the "The Doctor is IN" sign on my door)

Trader Vic's Classic Mai Tai's, Beachbum"Z" Own, Chief Lapu Lapu's and maybe some other 'surprise' stuff. (All top shelf ingredients - no cheap store brands from the Good Doctor, doncha know...)

Okole Maluna!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Since this is The 1st Annual Tiki Central Oasis Crawl, and our first trip to Tiki Oasis we thought why not start this 'New' Tradition the right way? We are looking forward to having lots of Fun in the Sun with everyone this weekend. Thanks Tiki Central for sharing the world of tiki with us :) ~WooHoo Wahine & SoccerTiki

C

Any hosts want to let their desires be known for libation donations? We (Tiki Sooze and I) are arriving on Thursday and would love to hook you up!

M

On 2005-05-03 10:30, mrs. pineapple wrote:

and actually thought Martiki was a bit snooty! HAHAHA.

See you all soon,
Xoxox
Mrs Pineapple

oi! No grog for you!

:wink:

M

On 2005-05-03 12:05, Monkeyman wrote:
For those of you experienced TCers who know many in the group. Extend a hand to the folks on this list during the crawl to help them get acquainted with the regulars at Tiki Central.

Tiki Bare

Um...I hate to tell you this about Tiki Bare...let's just say he's experienced.

M

Thanks for the badges, Shelly!

I

Aloha TC. My husband and I met a few folks at the SF Crawl. Our first crawl and looking forward to the Oasis for the forth time. Excited to see some familar faces. Check out this game! http://www.wagenschenke.ch/ I can't seem to get past 28 meters. Cheers!

I

Sorry! I forgot It's in German. Follow these directions. Get the Drunk Home

Try this and see how far you can keep this drunk man up.
Hysterical....Good Luck! Haven't we all been there before.....

You just move you mouse left to right (no clicking) to keep him walking
in a straight line. The object of the game is to keep him walking,
without falling over, by using your mouse from left to right or right to
left - you can't see your mouse which makes it more difficult.
Apparently the record is 82 meters! And it's in German!

CLICK ON THE HYPERLINK BELOW TO PLAY - ITS ADDICTIVE

http://www.wagenschenke.ch/

I BET YOU DON'T DO IT IN THE FIRST 15 TIMES YOU TRY IT THIS IS FUN.

Ok, Mike and I went over to Kinko's to print out the drink card and it is HUGE! It is like 4.5" x 6.75". I will probably have the biggest drink card there and everyone pointing at my chest and saying, "what's that?" So much for keeping the crawl a secret. If you guys tell me what size it is supposed to be, maybe I can have mine reduced....

H

On 2005-05-03 23:24, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
If you guys tell me what size it is supposed to be, maybe I can have mine reduced....

From what I could tell, it should be 2"x3".

H

On 2005-05-03 23:15, isotiki wrote:
Check out this game! http://www.wagenschenke.ch/ I can't seem to get past 28 meters. Cheers!

You should have posted this as a new topic in the main discussion forum. But nevertheless, what a funny game! I managed 65 meters on my third try and finally beat it on my twenty third try reaching 73 meters. Now if he wouldn't keep swigging from that bottle, maybe I could get farther.

okay - SOMEBODY had to say this about the crawl...

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges."

I am Caliente-bound in the morning (Wednesday) and will not be able to print out my badge as I handle all such technical shenanigans from my work computer. Whatever shall I do?

I am so HAPPY, I will be residing at my beloved Caliente within hours! the Oasis Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday simply isn't enough.

P

On 2005-05-04 00:05, Cherry Capri wrote:

I been thinking that all day.

DZ

On 2005-05-04 00:05, Cherry Capri wrote:

Oh yeah? Well, just try to get a drink in MY room with that attitude Miss Capri!

And don't even try threatening me with that nail polish, or I'll have even MORE drinks on your tab the next time I'm in Vegas...

P

Ok, Mike and I went over to Kinko's to print out the drink card and it is HUGE! It is like 4.5" x 6.75". I will probably have the biggest drink card there and everyone pointing at my chest and saying, "what's that?" So much for keeping the crawl a secret. If you guys tell me what size it is supposed to be, maybe I can have mine reduced....

The first time I tried to print it I printed just the jpg file and it came out like 1" X 2". So I pulled it into acrobat and made a pdf file of it and printed that. yeah, that's fairly big. Even reduced its like 7X5. What size should it be? What size are the holders? The mext step would be to make a web page of it and set the size with the html, then print that.

On 2005-05-04 01:22, Doctor Z wrote:
And don't even try threatening me with that nail polish, or I'll have even MORE drinks on your tab the next time I'm in Vegas...

Oh No.... It was not I!!!!

DZ

On 2005-05-04 01:30, Cherry Capri wrote:

On 2005-05-04 01:22, Doctor Z wrote:

Oh No.... It was not I!!!!

SHOCK! HORROR!! HUKILAU BROWN?!?! And here I thought it was YOU all these years! Hmmm... I think someone else owes me some drinks...

A bit of advice from the Good Doctor to all Oasis attendees: BEFORE you pass out, be sure to at least CLOSE your door, or this might happen to YOU...

(The gold sparkle was really not my color.)

(And is that a can of Pringles I'm snuggled up with? Nice...)

Heed my words, dear friends, heed my words.

Wow! Who knew that one of the advantages of the TikiCentral Oasis Crawl is a free pedicure? I'm leaving my door ajar

DZ

On 2005-05-04 01:23, PiPhiRho wrote:

The first time I tried to print it I printed just the jpg file and it came out like 1" X 2". So I pulled it into acrobat and made a pdf file of it and printed that. yeah, that's fairly big. Even reduced its like 7X5. What size should it be? What size are the holders? The mext step would be to make a web page of it and set the size with the html, then print that.

This is actually Shell in the Pacific's department, but from what I understand, the 'actual size' of the card should be approx. 4" x 6" (although mine came out at 3 1/4" x 5"). Any smaller and there wouldn't be enough space for room hosts to sign the cards. Right click, 'print picture' and voila! The plastic "condoms" are 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", so the cards will need to be folded if you're going to be using one (Supplies are limited!)

Room Hosts: remember to bring something to sign Crawler's cards with. As it appears that some folks might be laminating theirs, I'd suggest a Sharpie, or something else that won't wipe off.

H

Wow 4x6 is big! But that's fine. The next ratio down was 2x3 but that would only leave room for hosts initials. It sure looked good on photo glossy paper though.

A

If you are experiencing technical difficulties try Doctor Z's advice...

"Right click, 'print picture' and voila!"

The plastic "condoms" are 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", so the cards will need to be folded if you're going to be using one (Supplies are limited!)

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

M

On 2005-05-04 00:14, floratina wrote:
I am Caliente-bound in the morning (Wednesday) and will not be able to print out my badge as I handle all such technical shenanigans from my work computer. Whatever shall I do?

I am so HAPPY, I will be residing at my beloved Caliente within hours! the Oasis Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday simply isn't enough.

i will try to bring a spare black and white version for ya, Tina!

Atomic Cocktail, I'm hosting during the same time, but that's not going to stop me! I'll be visiting your and VG's hut, I want to try that drink!

I'm not braggin' or nothing like that but My card printed perfectly! :D

Big Mahalos to Doc Z, Alnshely, & all the hosts that are putting so much effort into making this a great event for all of us crawlers. Nina & I are staying at the Travelodge, so we're bring lots of tip $$$$ and a bottle of rum to contribute to somebody's party - not sure whose yet. I'm no rum connoisseur - more of a martini guy myself. But I just ordered a bottle of Pyrat Rum XO Reserve from Bevmo. Is this a good choice? I have no idea, but maybe you fine rum drinkers can set me straight. It will be great to finally meet so many of you whom I've only posted with at TC. See you soon!!!

A-A

I'll be hosting the bar on Saturday evening starting at 7:45 in room 135! Here's what you can look forward to:
A once in a lifetime, tiki tippler's dream!!!!
The unveiling of an original cocktail created by Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, the recipe for which can only be found inside the packaging of The Maikai Gents new CD. Speaking of which, The Maikai Gents and The Mysterious Miss Mauna will be on hand to sell and sign their new CD! Should be a real hoot! See you there for the intrigue.

-Weird Unc

T

On 2005-05-04 13:00, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I just ordered a bottle of Pyrat Rum XO Reserve from Bevmo. Is this a good choice? I have no idea, but maybe you fine rum drinkers can set me straight.

This won't do. Don't embarrass yourself by offering the XO to any respectable mixologist. Bring it to my room and I will exchange it for some Bacardi Gold. :wink:

C

Is a bottle of Kettle One good for a respectable mixologist?

i would also like to offer up a bottle of rum and even pitch in to run ice, cut limes or help keep things tidy. palm springs weather looks really nice this weekend, i cant wait to get in that pool! :)

can't wait to stumble, crawl, stagger with the rest of you...I'll hit Palm Springs tomorrow night so keep an eye out....

If anyone is thinking late night tribal drum circle on fri. and sat. (after they close down the pool area)... head for room 139

FREE LEMONS!

I just picked up a few dozen lemons off my parents tree (organically grown and good meyers quality)... I'll bring them and they are available to anyone who can use them...

On 2005-05-04 13:19, Tiki-bot wrote:

On 2005-05-04 13:00, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I just ordered a bottle of Pyrat Rum XO Reserve from Bevmo. Is this a good choice? I have no idea, but maybe you fine rum drinkers can set me straight.

This won't do. Don't embarrass yourself by offering the XO to any respectable mixologist. Bring it to my room and I will exchange it for some Bacardi Gold. :wink:

Tiki-Bot, you scurvy rascal! Well, we'll just have to pop the cork and try it (just picked it up - hand blown glass bottle, real cork, looking like a pretty respectable rum). The caviat is that you'll have to explain the finer points of rum tasting before we're all too inebriated to appreciate the subtleties.

A-A

T

After much thought, I have decided to make my mojitos from 4:30-6:00 on Friday. I figure it would be a good first stop for those rolling in on Friday. After a long drive, nothing beats a refreshing mojito.

C-yall tomorrow.

The Pugster

On 2005-05-04 13:16, weirduncletiki wrote:
I'll be hosting the bar on Saturday evening starting at 7:45 in room 135!
-Weird Unc

Alright, that is about the 5th person who has said they are hosting in Room 135 (which I thought was always Traditionally Al & Shelly's pad...) what's going on here? You all can't be staying in that same room. another question - isn't Futura Girl hosting the quiet room next door to Room 135... or did she say 235? Or am I going crazy or is there some sort of conspiracy going on with "Room 135"... ah that's it, it is the secret code for somthing... if only I could figure out what the code means....

[ Edited by: on 2005-05-04 23:23 ]

[ Edited by: Hanalei_pirate on 2005-05-04 23:24 ]

H

On 2005-05-04 23:19, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
.. is there some sort of conspiracy going on with "Room 135"... ah that's it, it is the secret code for somthing... if only I could figure out what the code means....

Rm 135 is code for the roof. Nice view, privacy and lots of space. The ladder is behind the dumpsters.

Now Shhhh.

*On 2005-05-04 23:19, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:*SNIP..... is there some sort of conspiracy going on with "Room 135"... ah that's it, it is the secret code for somthing... if only I could figure out what the code means....

Buy King Kukulele's CD - He is the MC for the event and hopefully he'll have some for sale this weekend - listen to "Otto's Oasis" and all will be revealed.

http://www.kingkukulele.com/

T

Okay, I just have to say, that the Oasis crawl was the coolest experience I've had at the event! I met great people, sampled some awesome cocktails, many of which were very well presented!

I really look forward to this being a regular feature of Tiki Oasis!

many thanks to all who participated!

Me too! What Pup said!

BTW, I really dug that Typhoon...

I only regret I couldn't make it to more of the 'hotel home bar' venues.

Next year...gulp...we might even host ourselves. Something...hmmm...let's see, yes, a red drink. It'll taste nice too, I promise. Plus snacks, because my one problem with the whole enterprise was that I REALLY had to pace myself, ie not finish drinks, which felt rude. But I just wasn't taking time to eat enough.

Thanks, everybody! xox tikivixen

Whoever witnessed the goofy smile on my face in 135 on Saturday night will know this was the best Tiki Oasis for me to date! What an unbelievably loving and welcoming family that you instantly feel you've known for years! Today, I had to pack up and head west back to the "Burbs" ( that one's for you Doctor Z!) but the days at Tiki Oasis can never be taken away and I am, once again, so thankful for Otto putting it on! Of course, I'd be an idiot not to thank Hanford for allowing us to already know each other before meeting! Fantastic! Life is good......

The room crawl was one of the greatest Tiki Oasis ideas ever! The comraderie, drunkeness, and friendly sense of competition was only matched by the quality and inventiveness of the drinks I enjoyed. I salute the drink-makers and idea-makers!
Mahalo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies