Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

[b]The Tiki Experience[/b]

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

There was one thing in the beginning that pulled me into tiki and then down the road I discovered the lifestyle of the tiki experience. There are many aspects of tiki as there are posts on Tiki Central.
I was thinking of a short list to name some of the lenghts on the different avenues.

• TikiCentral-Most current source of tiki. There are guests, then different classes of post rank and then financial supporters of Grand Memeber.
  • Tiki Mugs-How deep can we go with ceramic? The guy with one mug, three(collection), thirty and built shelves, the guys who buys $75.oo and up mugs, the one who collects everyone made, and then the ones who create mugs for others to buy somewhere in the list.
  • Tiki Creation-All things made. There is the dabbler enthusiast/admirer. The weekend hobbist. One who sold a carving, painting, or other, and then one that makes a living from their talents.
  • The Word of the tiki- The one who reads here or posts, a new subscriber to tiki news or magazine. Bought books. Wrote the books. And the ones that are in a band. Movies too.
  • Tiki Stuff-With all the thing mentioned, how much. Music, food, drinks(the mixology), and coconut smells. A little corner to place it. Bits spread throughout the house, or a tiki bar. How about a tiki room. Or a tiki house?
  • There is some much to do and many levels to proceed down. Its more than the sum of the bamboo parts. And then the Experiences that are always there after the Mai-Tai.

Later teaKEY

B

Hey TeaKey, seems you hit a lot of the nails right on the head. You are right in that there is SO Much to do, see, hear, smell, feel, say, and what ever else you want to add. It helps to explain the tiki experience but at the same time it is just the beginning.

You forgot my particular favourite - "The Search for Tiki". For me, the pinnacle of this is finding a Tiki Bar unmentioned by guides (almost certainly in Europe) and reporting back. This can also include looking for Tiki in flea markets and that kind of thing. It's the thrill of discovery that's the interest.

Trader Woody

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, May 3, 2005 4:02 PM

The hunt probably is the biggest thing I guess. I was looking at my mugs today, like everyday and I thought to myself that I have more fun finding new mugs, buying and then waiting for them. Talking about the new mug about to come and then openning the box to see it in real life and holding it. Then they sit.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 4, 2005 9:35 PM

I agree, there is nothing like the thrill of the chase. Sure ebay is cool, but you kinda expect to find things there.

Its when you are poking around in a musty, cramped little shop and stumble across a tiki mug in the back corner out of the way, on a dusty shelf. It's like finding burried treasure.

Then you walk up to the counter with this massive goofy grin on your face "Just this today" handing over your new prized posession. They look down at the ugly mug they thought they would never sell and think "thank god for that".

You then go home and tell your partner/freinds/family about it and show them and they give you the same look as the shop assistant "Righty-oh. this one is a few sandwiches short of a picnic". And you cant stop thinking about it and you go to bed all warm and fuzzy (maybe that is just the Mai Tais talking).

Pages: 1 4 replies