Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What I've learned from Tiki Central

Pages: 1 43 replies

Today is my one year TC anniversary. It doesn't feel like it's been a whole year, but it has.

I discovered TC while looking for party ideas for my wife's birthday. I was instantly hooked, and it has been nothing short of life-changing. Here's a few things I've learned over the past year:

Don't be afraid to join in the conversation. For the most part everyone here is very receptive and welcomes new imput.

Always be sincere. As long as you are up front and honest to everyone, including yourself, about what you say and do people will respect you.

When you deside to carve a tiki (or draw, paint, etc), just dive in and do it and make sure to document your results. If there's anything TCers love, it's to see pictures and give advice and support.

Spred around the love. The other thing TCers love is to recieve advice and support.

Just be cool, have fun, and enjoy yourself. As Pablus once said,"It feels so good to pass a smile along"

If you just stick around, you will make friends. Congatiki, Benzart, Aaron's Akua, Hewey, Foamy, Sam Gambino, Atomicchick, and far to many others to list here are people I list among my friends and the list grows everyday.

And lastly, rum is yummy!

Thank you, everyone, who has helped to shape Tiki Central into what it is, and for letting me be a part of your world.

Mahalo,

Finkdaddy

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-05-11 07:59 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 7:46 AM

Congrats FinkDaddy!

Although, if you are like me, your liver probably hates you for finding tiki :drink:

Very well said and so true.

My wife thought it was a one time thing for me to try carving, Boy was she wrong.
Its because of the great advice and support and kind peeps here that I am hooked.

Congrats Finkdaddy

Happy Anniversary FinkDaddy! :drink:

Aaaloo-Haa!
:tiki:

Congratulations Finkdaddy!

I've been realizing, over the course of the past week or so, that joining Tiki Central has been a complete and permanent lifestyle change for me.

The things I've done and the people I've met have changed me forever, and for good.

I hope to meet you finkdaddy, and share in the great internal warmth. Oh wait, that's the rum.

Spread a little Aloha
-Tikiwahine

On 2005-05-11 10:42, Tikiwahine wrote:
I've been realizing, over the course of the past week or so, that joining Tiki Central has been a complete and permanent lifestyle change for me.

The things I've done and the people I've met have changed me forever, and for good.

I agree wholeheartedly! The amount of ohana that exists here continues to amaze me.

I've been hoping to get some dates via Tiki Central......still working on that one. 8)

On 2005-05-11 07:46, Jawa wrote:
Although, if you are like me, your liver probably hates you for finding tiki :drink:

My liver AND my waist-line.

Congratulation FinkDaddy... well said

On 2005-05-11 11:35, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2005-05-11 10:42, Tikiwahine wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly! The amount of ohana that exists here continues to amaze me.

I've been hoping to get some dates via Tiki Central......still working on that one. 8)

When Tikivixen told me about TC back in the Yahoo days, I never knew it would be pretty much NumberOne in my social life! The Ohana is an inspiration to us all!

Tiki Central was a Bait and Switch for me.

The bait "Hey you should join and post here on TC once in a while" I thought.... OK Ive been on other message boards before. How much could there possibly be to talk about?

The switch- You will spend at least part of EVERY day doing something related to TC. Buying raw materials to make tiki stuff, Actually making Tiki Stuff, Attending Events, Home Parties, Meeting people for lunch, entertaining out of town TC guests, Tiki Road Trips, Tiki Vacations, Buying Stuff from your artisian friends, selling stuff, showing up to support your musician friends.

Its been an amazing ride so far 3 years and whos counting

On 2005-05-11 12:35, Monkeyman wrote:

Have we discussed where the Tiki Central retirement home is going to be yet?
This place changed me too.

On 2005-05-11 12:44, Unga Bunga wrote:

Have we discussed where the Tiki Central retirement home is going to be yet?
This place changed me too.

THAT'S IT!! Unga's got it!! That's what we should do - pony up our 401K $$$ and buy the Caliente Tropics, stop the ongoing madness - and open the TC Retirement Home!! A TIKI "Leisure World", if you will!! Mai Tais and shuffleboard. Martin Denny and midnight ping-pong games! Wheelchair races around the pool!! The mind boggles!!

[i]

No, trust me, you’re better off alone.

In fact, I’ve learned a few important things here on tiki central. I’ve learned that tiki central is, more or less, a great group of fun people, and also that if you hear any of the following at a tiki central event, most likely it is a lie:

*This is my first mai tai of the evening/day
*I’m not a Jimmy Buffet fan
*This aloha shirt is vintage, not new from Wal-mart!
*I don’t have a thrift store addiction
*I’m not just looking for a “rockin tiki good time”
*My other car is a tiki bar on wheels
*This is my first tiki central event
*I’ve never dated any other tiki central members
*I’m not as think as you drunk I am
*I’ve never sniped on ebay
*Sure, I remember my last tiki central event- wasn’t there a bear involved?
*I know who WWJD is
*I don’t spend all my work day goofing off on tiki central
*I have a very large tiki - want to see it?
*That bad smell is not me

(especially if uttered by drunk ughly men in tiki bars)

J
JTD posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 4:44 PM

dangergirl299 - Hey! I am NOT ugly.

Finkdaddy - Happy TC B-day.

On 2005-05-11 12:29, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2005-05-11 11:35, cynfulcynner wrote:
I've been hoping to get some dates via Tiki Central......still working on that one.

:D

Yeah, those are probably the only dates I will get around here. 8)

P

TC seems to mostly be a couples thing. Not that many single folk here, and those that are single are scattered hither and yon. It was hard enough dating someone who lived in Oxnard. Dating someone in San Francisco, Seattle or further I just don't see.

The one good thing about being a tiki lover
in the midwest...maybe the only thing...is
that I've had a chance to mingle with the
likes of Finkdaddy and Rebecca...LakeSurfer...tikibars...Exotica 59..and EsQui and Lissette...even the
now-departed TikiToa...and let me tell you
that Finkdaddy is the real deal...good to
know you!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 8:50 PM

Hey Finkdaddy, I'm honoured to know you count me as one of your mates. Its good to have you on here (even though you been on here longer than me...)

I have learnt that TC leads to a decrease in my efficiency in undertaking internet research for my studies. If I fail I will hold the administrators liable and sue their asses off. Well, maybe not. But I wont be happy!

I have also learnt that the general community does not have any idea about tiki, and in no way should be confused with TC folk. "What do you mean by a tiki bar?"

M
mig posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 9:04 PM

I made a friend on Yahoo Tikicentral in the year 2000. (She never made the migration to Tikicentral.com.) All of a sudden, 5 years later, she and I are together. Very unexpectedly. But together. Does that count?

It happens when you least expect it.

-mig

How neat is that! Happy anniversary sweetie! :D

~L

B

You will spend at least part of EVERY day doing something related to TC. Buying raw materials to make tiki stuff, Actually making Tiki Stuff, Attending Events, Home Parties, Meeting people for lunch, entertaining out of town TC guests, Tiki Road Trips, Tiki Vacations, Buying Stuff from your artisian friends, selling stuff, showing up to support your musician friends.

Agreed. It's taking over. I really have fallen in love with you guys and the spirit you invoke. (or spirits)

Congrats, finkdaddy..may there be many more.

Thank you everybody for the kind words, that's why I love it here. You're right, it's all about the ohana.

B

Happy anniversery Finky,
we are so glad you happened upon TC and blessed us with your Aloha spirited ways.
Looks like you found what most of the rest of us have found,,each other. It's fun to watch a newbie come on board and grow the way you have. Some people come and never get it, but most, like yourself grow, learn, share and love being here,
Happy,Happy,Happy,Happy

Tiki Central retirement center!
cool.
I'm there.

8T

I've learned:

that I can make new friends who happen to be hundreds of miles away but may never get to meet them in person.
that I was wrong about my fear of joining a "chat" site.
that I have more creative talent than I ever thought.
that I look good in a "Hawaiian" shirt.
that my wife was SOOOOO right about buying that old rotting wooden idol thingy that I drove so far in the rain to look at!! (I love you Mrs. 8 FT.
that Hanford Lemoore is a very cool dude whose vision has made a real difference in many of our lives. THANKS MAN!
that I probably really belong in So. Cal
but the roots are deep in this Missouri clay.
most of all I have learned what tiki is to me and I hope all of you have discovered that as well.

On 2005-05-11 13:31, dangergirl299 wrote:

if you hear any of the following at a tiki central event, most likely it is a lie:

*I’m not a Jimmy Buffet fan

Aieeeeee! Noooo!!! Then again, that might just be your dirty little secret......

Trader Woody

TC is a big family. It has lots of great, fun, loving people, but it also has a few relatives no one talks about. I am discovering from TC that I am a little of both.

[ Edited by: Benehune on 2005-06-17 21:51 ]

Everything Finkdaddy said, and more.

Yeah, TC Ohana is the best!

F

On 2005-05-12 05:49, Tikilicious wrote:
How neat is that! Happy anniversary sweetie! :D

~L

:blush: she called me sweetie! :blush:

T

The best thing about TC is you don't have to explain your weird tiki obsession to everyone you meet.

"Well you see, remember those old polynesian bars, and uh, well you drank these drinks in these mugs that.... ahh f*ck it."

A

everyone here is just plain great!

T

On 2005-06-06 10:15, tikifish wrote:
The best thing about TC is you don't have to explain your weird tiki obsession to everyone you meet.

"Well you see, remember those old polynesian bars, and uh, well you drank these drinks in these mugs that.... ahh f*ck it."

Exactly! I actually go out of my way to not bring it up to people I meet and I never wear aloha shirts to work because 99.9% of people think those shirts mean "party animal" or "Jimmy Buffet fan" (or both!). Tiki will never be a huge commodity so I no longer feel the urge to evangelize.

M

Happy Anniversary Finky!

The one true most important thing I have learned on TC? Check your spelling & grammer or suffer the wrath of Tiki Bong!!

Oh so sorry - you are correct. But he does kind of sulk around here like a Wraith, pouncing on your young nubile throat when you least expect him..........

[ Edited by: Maori_man on 2005-06-06 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: Maori_man on 2005-06-06 22:58 ]

On 2005-06-06 21:45, Maori_man wrote:

Check your spelling & grammer or suffer the wraith of Tiki Bong!!

Grammar! (meant unwraithfully...)

I've learned to keep the giant, unabridged dictionary at hand, unless I'm trying to incur the wrath of Tiki Bong.

Happy anniversary, finkdaddy! It's great to know ya too (thanks, TC).

http://www.samgambino.com

This is the only place where I feel normal about this kind of thing. Most people don't get it...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 11:31 PM

Maybe it should change from TC to Tiki Nuts Annonymous?

No one else understands, which is kinda why I like it! But it does suck having to explain it to everyone.

Harley riders have a saying "If you have to ask why, you won't understand". (I paraphrased cause I can't remember the exact words)

Finky... happy anniversary! you've progressed incredibly over the past year!

Hewey, i know what you mean. I had my latest tiki in my office for a fellow employee to pick up, and another manager walked by and asked what that was. I told her it was a tiki, and she says, "What's a tiki?" i had to explain the whole concept to her and she just didn't get it. i mean, she never even heard of the word tiki!

On 2005-06-06 10:15, tikifish wrote:

Yeah, but now I have to explain why I am drinking beer in a Tiki bar to all y'all :D
Seriously though, I haven't met so many funny and interesting people anywhere else, well except maybe in detention while in jr high.

Chongolio

Does Barry Manilow KNOW that you raid his wardrobe?

On 2005-06-13 06:55, procinema29 wrote:
Does Barry Manilow KNOW that you raid his wardrobe?

No more yanky my wanky - Donger need food!

hey, its good that you can learn all this great stuff from a bunch of poeple youve never met! wow... anywho...i guess the internet IS good for you...

ARK! ARK! ARK! (ark)

Pages: 1 43 replies