Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Kona Gardens Apartment Complex, Garden Grove, CA (apartments)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Name:Kona Gardens
Type:apartments
Street:9731 Acacia Avenue
City:Garden Grove
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This apartment complex still has 14 tikis standing and they are in decent shape. It is located near the intersection of Garden Grove Blvd. and Brookhurst Street.

This fellow sits under his shack and holds a map/directory of the complex.

There are 12 of these 5' pool gaurdian tikis.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2005-05-17 16:51 ]

Awesome pics, Zulu!

Garden Grove is hands-down my favorite city for Estate Sales. Now I've got another reason to visit on Friday. Thanks for doing the leg-work on this one and bringing us some photos. I don't know if I've seen that carver's work before.

Sabu

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 6:56 PM

Another nice find!

I wonder what the people living there make of it! Do they have any idea of the pop history of the place? Do they care?

Wow.....that is way awesome cool! Surprising that a place like that is still in such good shape. I wonder if they had more tikis a long time ago, and this is the toned-down version?

Wow!...love that map holding Tiki, yet another unique application of Tiki style. And I thought I knew them all!
Good work, Mike.

D

ZuluMagoo what an exciting find! I am amazed everything is in such fine shape. How did you find this property? Did you happen to chat with anyone on the grounds? Thanks for the great images, I'd love to hear more about the place.

:o This is my apartment complex!!!! you can see my apartment in all of these pics the one that says manager on a white plaque. We have a feeling the owners are selling this property. They tell us no but hmmmm seeing it on here and watching "appraisal" people take pictures and do walk throughs of all the units 2 weeks ago for termites, water leakage etc... makes a person wonder. What do you think people?

Yes we do keep up this complex very well. We do walk arounds daily through out the day and night. We have been told we have the most spacious apartments in the area for the price we quote for monthly rentals. The tiki's around the pool use to hold up a huge cover that gave us plenty of shade. This complex was owned and built by an actor who did mostly Hawaiian themes movies named, Dana Andrews.
This complex is very quiet. We take pride in our complex and do not want it to get that run down look. This complex has been here since the 1950's.

Geminimist, do you have any older photos of the main poolhut, from when the roof was still there? I saw those Tikis lined up and knew they had to have upheld a nice A-frame once. When did it come down?

P

*On 2006-11-23 18:33, geminimist74 wrote:*We have a feeling the owners are selling this property. They tell us no but hmmmm seeing it on here and watching "appraisal" people take pictures and do walk throughs of all the units 2 weeks ago for termites, water leakage etc... makes a person wonder. What do you think people?

Could very well be. Sounds almost exactly like what went on with a friend of mine's apartment complex. Folks just started showing up supposedly for termite inspection, and they'd take wood samples and such. But they also inspected other things and were taking lots of pictures. Then sometime later, another "wave" of folk came through doing the same thing.

All the while the local management was kept pretty much in the dark and just told to cooperate. But sure enough...a couple of months later...turned out it was the new owner's appraisers in the first wave, and a lending institution's appraisers in the second wave.

In my friend's case...the place is slated for demolition as soon as the current leases run out. No new leases are being signed and as leases expire they are just doing month-to-month deals.

I sure hope your place doesn't end up like that! Looks like a really cool example of this type of apartment building with the added bonus of the great Dana Andrews history.

Good Luck...and hope it is just someone appraising the place for upkeep issues.

[ Edited by: PremEx 2006-11-24 15:58 ]

Wow....what a fabulous little history. I can just see Dana Andrews lounging by the pool with a tropical cocktail in hand. The map-holding tiki is indeed quite a treasure. Hop if you do get new owners that they are tiki lovers and restore the place. Are the apartments furnished with any retro items? Any tiki stuff in them, such as special lighting or anything? Great find!!! Thanks for the pictures. :)

Pages: 1 10 replies