Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

World's Largest things

Pages: 1 18 replies

T

http://www.wlra.us/

An awfully high number of these are in Canada. What's up with that?

K
kirby posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 5:47 PM

small weeners big stuff!!!

I

Having gone to college in the city that claims the World's largest Six-Pack, I feel as I have been given the license to condense here a few words from the preface of Karal Ann Marling's classic and scholarly 1984 book 'The Colossus of Roads - Myth and Symbol Along the American Highway'

It is the terror of infinite spaces.

Hours of straight roads, lined by endless, even fields of beans and corn, or stands of timber merging with the mirror surfaces of shallow lakes scooped from the level surface of the ground. The land is too flat, loudly proclaiming its bigness and its blustering expansiveness and its crude power by that insistent, uninterrupted sprawl.

Like a boulder on the highway, the material of the big [fill in name of giant object] stops traffic. A rooted mass at odds with the flight of the road, it vivifies a sense of place. We write postcards for friends back home: "Wish You Were Here!" "Here" is strange and odd, the domain of lurid, monster fauna - dream turned to nightmare, the magical someday becoming a sweltering now, fantasy becomes a dense, disconcerting, impenetrable reality.

Seen against the measure of pokey little Main Streets skittering past the shores of placid lakes, they startle by their florid rhetoric, their grandoise aspirations. They brag and boast and holler and stomp, in a wild Amercian orgy of self-assertion and desire.

It is a place made for pioneers and pilgrims and tourists, a place for the dramatic arrivals and flamboyant departures that give to the weary transient the assurance of having come to someplace new. The miles and hours 'have' indeed flown by. Roadside monuments mark off the frontiers and boundaries of 'here.' By increments of 'heres,' we feel our way every onward.

"Which way to the American dream?" Why, it's up the road, there.

Damn, I wish I had written that.

Vern

J

Baltimore once had the distinction of calling "The World's Largest Trashcan" its own!

After certification by Guinness the trashcan was hauled off to the landfill and never seen again... Isn't that ironic? Baltimore once owned the world's largest trashcan now the entire city is a trashcan! Let's see Guinness document that!

Disclaimer: To all my local TC ohana who call Baltimore and its surrounding areas home - I'M JUST KIDDING! :D

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 6:52 PM

In Australia we have the big:
Merino (sheep)
Prawn (shrimp)
Bannana
Oyster
Lawn Mower
and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I have been to. I have also been to a little ayers rock (!). It was painted concrete hotel - mmm tacky!

I think all up ther is 20 "big things" in Australia

Hey Monkeyman, that Uniroyal Gal - Go-Go Dancer was the first thing that caught my eye when I first arrived in San Diego-go in 1971. I was immediately reminded of one my favorite grade B sci-fi movies - "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman".

Actually, I only saw a ratio of about 1 Canadian attraction for every US attraction. That fits in well with our population ratios...Or the funny answer:
"Ha Ha...We're bored up here! Tee Hee! You see, It's cold! HA HA"

As for Kirby's explanation:
Up Yours Ratzo!

On 2005-05-17 17:45, Tiki-bot wrote:

I think the main reason there are so many in Alberta is that the provincial government used to give money to small towns to build things that would attract tourists to places that tourists would otherwise not go and many towns chose to build big things.

http://www.swankola.com/bw/bw.html
("Kip Kendoll" is another of my aliases)

On 2005-05-17 18:52, hewey wrote:
In Australia we have the big:
Merino (sheep)
Prawn (shrimp)
Bannana
Oyster
Lawn Mower
and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I have been to. I have also been to a little ayers rock (!). It was painted concrete hotel - mmm tacky!

I think all up ther is 20 "big things" in Australia

Don't forget the Big Pineapple!

One of my favorite playgrounds here in Victoria is at Cadboro Bay,
which includes a Cadborosaurus(named for the bay - a present day dinosaur)

There is also a giant salmon and an octopus which are fun to climb.

Shouldn't Danny's "World's Largest Tiki Mug" be in that listing?

I think the main reason there are so many in Alberta is that the provincial government used to give money to small towns to build things that would attract tourists to places that tourists would otherwise not go and many towns chose to build big things.

The town meeting to decide this would make a great short film. Just imagine:
"Mr Speaker I now open the floor to public comments on your proposal to allocate $400,000 in city funds for the building of what shall heretofor be known as "The World's Largest Bong".

my mother's elementary school tried to make the World's Biggest Milkshake, but they missed it by a large amount - I think it was just a ploy by the kids to get massive amounts of ice cream in one day.

it sure was gross cleaning out our oversized freezer afterwards (the dark side of ice cream...)

On 2005-05-18 11:25, Tiki-bot wrote:

The town meeting to decide this would make a great short film. Just imagine:
"Mr Speaker I now open the floor to public comments on your proposal to allocate $400,000 in city funds for the building of what shall heretofor be known as "The World's Largest Bong".

There was an episode of Corner Gas (a Canadian sit-com) that was sort of like that. The residents of Dog River decided to build the world's largest hoe (a dirty hoe, no less).

8T

I submit for your consideration.......
THE WORLDS LARGEST PECAN.

1,00 POUNDS
SEGUIN, TEXAS.

BUT WAIT, THAT'S PEANUTS COMPARED TO THE REAL CHAMP WHICH IS NEAR OUR HOME IN THE SMALL TOWN OF BRUNSWICK, MISSOURI.

7 FOOT TALL AND 12,000 POUNDS.
TAKE THAT SEGUIN!

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-05-27 20:18 ]

J
john posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 3:55 AM

On 2005-05-17 19:55, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

On 2005-05-17 17:45, Tiki-bot wrote:

http://www.swankola.com/bw/bw.html
("Kip Kendoll" is another of my aliases)

tourists not want to go to places like medicine hat or moose jaw without incentive.. yeah right :wink:

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-26 03:56 ]

On 2005-05-26 03:55, john wrote:

tourists not want to go to places like medicine hat or moose jaw without incentive.. yeah right :wink:

Medicine Hat (pop. 51,000) and Moose Jaw (pop. 32,000) are huge metropolises (metropoli?) compared to Beiseker (giant skunk, pop. 813) Mundare (giant kubasa, pop. 715), or Glendon (giant perogy, pop. 418).

I just passed by a new addition to Roncesvalles Ave in Toronto - 2 massive boxing gloves looking ready to punch ya outside a gym!

Pages: 1 18 replies