Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pariartspaul to be on HGTV! - New Pix Added!

Pages: 1 22 replies

There is a show on HGTV called 'Crafters Coast to Coast' coming up here to shoot a segment on how we make our tiki signs in a couple of weeks. They are changing the name of the show to 'That's Clever!' and it will air this fall.

They need me to make like 5 different versions of the sign I will make for them in various states of progression so they can film the whole process in a couple of hours. The sign will feature caricatures of our friends Jeff and Stacy and their 2 year old Cameron. It will be one of our typical caricature signs, but I'm adding some wood turned bas-relief tiki torches to it for an extra touch.

I'm really looking forward to it, I think it will be a lot of fun. So I'll let you all know when I find out when it will be on. Stay tuned....

[ Edited by: pariartspaul on 2005-06-08 12:57 ]

J

It sounds like I better place an order with you guys before it airs... once the secret is out, everyone is gonna want a Pariarts sign! Keep us informed, I'll definitely be watching... I've always wondered how you did such amazing work. Congratulations! :)

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 7:07 AM

Congratulations dude! Your signs are very tasty and worthy of plenty of screen time

Let us know how it goes for you after it had aired!

T

Awesome Paul! Very very cool.... We must tape this....

you deserve the exposure for your wonderful work. get some extra help so you can be ready for the crush of business after it airs

Please keep us posted as to the air dates. I love HGTV. It's my favorite channel. Honest.

Your web site rocks. Hell, it looks like your life rocks! Congratulations.

Thanks all,

Hey Monkeyman, seriously, we ARE getting help this season - we have been swamped for the last couple of months and I've been cutting sign after sign after sign!

We found a very talented college student last year who helped us out during our busy season with cutting and assembly. He lives near us and has his own little garage workshop with a scroll saw. He's a very excellent craftsman - so we've got him on board this year too.

I met an old childhood friend here last year who I hadn't seen in like 30 years - his family lived across the street from us in the '60's. Turns out he has lived here in Sacramento since after high school and happened to see our website one day and emailed me. He said "Glad to see you're doing so well... I live in Sacramento, Ca where are you?" and I said, "Hey we're here too!". So we got together, and it happens that he lives close by, and we've been the best of friends since then. Anyway, he's got a great workshop and he's a real woodworking fanatic. We went to a woodworking show together last month and he ended up getting one of those great new RBI scroll saws. So we may have yet another new recruit to help out for this season!

But Richard and I still do all the design and painting.... so far.

Congrats! Very nice to see one of most talented artists getting the respect they deserve.

-Z

Congrats indeed. I often find myself on your site. Such amazing work its hard not be inspired.
Cant wait to see the show.

Excellent news, PP. I'm glad to see a show like this again on HGTV. There used to be an awesome show called "Modern Masters" on the network, but I think it was too PBS-ish (thorough, detailed and slow-paced) for the "modern" viewer and they canned it. HGTV has become nothing but home makeover and selling shows that border on MTV-style ridiculousness. But I digress...
Can't wait to see your segment! I hope they do more shows like this.

My Pariarts Tiki sign rocks! People always ask where I got it so I take it down off the wall and give them the information off of the back of the sign (very clever). Great craftsmanship and great quality! Can't wait to see the TV show.

TTT

Congrats on the TV spot Paul. Definitely keep us all updated on the specifics. I have seen that show that you will be on. Also thanks again for sending me those lava planter pics you had made. They were very helpful.

Keep up the great work!

[ Edited by: tiki junkman on 2005-05-18 17:02 ]

8T

What can I add that all of the rest of you haven't already said????

I know, I love my 6 Pariarts tiki masks but I really wish I had a sign! AND lived close enough to come over and hang out with you guys. Love your work and can't wait to see the show. Good Luck and Have fun!

So they did the shoot on Saturday and it was a long 7 hours! I gave the workshop a makeover the week before so it looked pretty good I think. Here are some pictures Richard took:

Here is our Pariarts workshop. Producer Becky is in the paint area and in the back are my wood tools where I cut and assemble the tiki signs.

This is in our living room at my computer where we come up with a lot of the designs.

Here I am hamming it up for the introduction in our backyard - (I did it all WITHOUT my glasses, so I was blind through the whole thing except when I was using the wood tools!)

We had a lot of fun and it wasn't very serious at all. The crew was terrific and we all had a great time, but it was a lot of work!

Mahalo,
Paul

[ Edited by: pariartspaul on 2005-06-08 12:59 ]

T

Great pix Paul! You gotte let us know when it's going to be on....

T

This is soooo kool!
I love the sign you made for us...can't wait to see the show!

As a proud owner of two of your awesome signs, I can say you deserve all the accolades you receive - Congrats on the show!

Paul! Congrats! We get a lot of compliments on our "ray and Amy's island oasis" sign, especially on the portrayal odf our beagles Sammy and Buddy....

Congrats again!

Amy

Aloha Paul & Richard,
Any updates on the airing time / date of your HGTV segment?

8T

bump....We don't want to miss this show. Any word on an air date????

8T

Finally got to see the re-run of the program yesterday. Very neat Paul! One day we will have saved enough coconuts for our own pariarts custom sign. Hope you get a ton of business from every airing of the segment!

Darn! I'm sorry I missed it! I love my Pariarts sign and would have loved to see the show. Here is a link to the HGTV page.

Link to HGTV page

[ Edited by: joefla70 2006-01-30 10:56 ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - fixed broken link - 2006-01-30 12:09 ]

R

This is at least the 2nd time it's aired... if you have Tivo, I highly recommend setting up a wishlist for the word TIKI -- it caught both this and the show Crazy Al was on for me! Although look out if Tiki Barber is on something...

History channel seems to run a lot of Kon-Tiki programs too.

Hope this helps!
cheers,
Rupe

Pages: 1 22 replies