Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Images to use for Decoupage

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hi all,
I am designing our tiki room in the basement and on a couple of wall panels, we plan on doing decoupage.

for those who don't know, decoupage is basically taking pictures, gluing them to the wall, and then sealing them with a clear acrylic sealant.

What I am looking for is resources for decent quality images to use of tiki restaurants, paintings, matchbooks, hula girls, tikis, etc. to print off onto good paper and then paste onto the wall. If I was willing to cut up my copy of The Book of Tiki, it would be perfect. However, that is NOT going to happen!

Are there any collections online (other than poking around dozens of threads on this board) to find what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance.

--SBiM

you could pick up a cheap copy of Tiki Style at Old Navy and tear it up. It's only $7.50.

-Z

I could do that, but I would still need more. I have a 20 foot wall to cover.

Thanks.

--SBiM

H

Perhaps go to an office/copy centre with some cash and the book of tiki? Otherwise go to google.com, click on images and search for tiki

Cant wait to see how it goes! You gotta post some pics. Ive got a bonnet off an old '50's era Holden (Australian arm of General Motors), which I plan on covering in Gil Elvgrin pinup pictures. make a nice wall hanging or coffee table

Coconut, that is a great resource, thanks!

I did do several google image searches and found some good stuff, but the link that Coconut gave is the best resource so far.

--SBiM

We bought an older model pop-up camper which needed alot of work. We redid the inside and went with a retro theme. The original tabel was missing so we made a new one and used tiki and other 50's style images on the top. We simply searched through Google and our own picture collection on the computer and printed them out at the house. One thing, I searched on Ebay for postcards and used a number of those images....they work great and are cost effective. If you print on your home computer, be careful on the amount of wate you add the decopoge. Here's a pic of the table in the camper:

The camper looks great! Where did you get that fabric for the seats? We could use that for our curtains.

The way I am doing this decoupage is with spray adhesive and an acrylic sealer, so I don't need to worry about water. I'm pretty much done expect for the sealing. I might get to that tonight.

I did one panel with lots of old images from menus, postcards and the like. One panel with Shag images (I saved my old calendars, so I had some big ones to work with) and then one panel all with women.

I'll take pictures when I am done.

--SBiM

J

I have a "Hula Honeys" 2005 calendar that you can have when I'm doing using it!

Thanks Joe, but I'm already done!

The paint is more green than these photos show. But part of the reason we did the decoupage is that we didn't like the paint color.

Pages: 1 9 replies