Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

WW1 Tiki

Pages: 1 2 replies

I

Most everyone here knows of the connection of World War 2 and tiki (James Michener, South Pacific, etc)

But here is a story that mentions a direct link between tiki and the WW1 Gallipoli battle that happened nearly 30 years earlier. It must have been a good luck tiki, as the soldier ended up surviving that battle and the rest of the war.

ISTANBUL, Turkey - A silver tiki engraved with the name of a New Zealand soldier who fought on the battlefields of World War 1 came close to finding a new home this year.
Former army nurse Daphne Shaw gave serious thought to leaving the tiki, which was worn by her grandfather Norman Dickie, on the Anzac battlefield in Turkey.

Some 3000 New Zealand soldiers died on Gallipoli, and thousands more in Sinai, Palestine, and on the Western Front. Mr Dickie lived to return to New Zealand.

"Just taking it (the tiki) there...it is going to be quite emotional,"

The full article can be read in its entirety at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10122024

Vern

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 6:00 PM

Gallipolli holds a very special place for us Aussies and Kiwis. One day I would love to make the pilgrimage there. It was kinda like the start of Saving Private Ryan, but they had to go up a massive set of hills instead of a nice beach. And most of them joined up because they wanted to see the world.

Tiki collection goes far as back as the first Europeans going to NZ, and collecting tattooed heads. Problem is, the chiefs had the best tats! So they would get slaves (I think) and tat them, then kill them and preserve their heads. The Maori's would then trade these with the Europeans! I can't remember where I read this. It may have been the BoT.

There was a great movie a few years ago called "A Single Bullet". It told the story of Aussies or Kiwis fighting against the Japanese in the South Pacific. Had elements of Saving Private Ryan (survivors meeting at a gravesite) and the Thin Red Line, but came out before both. It really humanized the soldiers on both sides by flashing back on their individual home lives and the similarities between them. It was shown on the Independant film channel and I can find no information in the Internet Movie Database. An Australian feature?

Pages: 1 2 replies