Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pyrat rums anyone?

Pages: 1 17 replies

I recently walked into my local liquor store and found a brand of rum called Pyrat. I found a White and a Planters Gold, which aparently is a medal winner. They seem pretty tasty to me and I really like the bottles. the White is in a slim, frosted bottle with a cork, and the Gold is in a bottle reminiscent of the one used by Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Carribean. I was wondering if there were any others out there or if anyone had experience with them beyond mine.

T

just tried Pyrat XO for the first time, not quite sure what to make of it.

neat, it is very smooth, but tastes more like irish whiskey or cognac to me than rum. it's almost too sweet.

mixed, it's too delicate to discern.

i'm gonna have to call this rum an acquired-taste sipper.

(posted in this thread bc the other threads re Pyrat are focused on prices and sale locations, not on the rum itself)

To my palate Pyrat XO and Zaya are too sweet to be sippers. Can you think of any other spirit that is sweeter? I don't have any use for them in mixed drinks either although they may be acceptable sippers for people unaccustomed to sipping spirits.

Zacapa 23 and Ron Atlantico give Zaya a run for it's money in the sweetness category. They are not rums I usually tend toward for sipping, and I really have to be in the mood for. Based on the reviews of Pyrat XO as being on the overly sweet side of the spectrum I have not spent any time with this one.

I know one of the Pyrat products is supposed to have an orange flavor component to it. Is that Pistol or is it the XO or something else?

I don't like Pyrat rum. It is made by the same company that makes Patron, which I think is an overpriced, poor excuse for Tequila. I personally don't think it goes well with anything and I will never stock it in my home bar.

I really like the Patron Añejo. I agree it's overpriced (they're targeting the premium category after all), but I find it incredibly smooth and drinkable. What's your favorite high end tequila?

I'll chime in on the tequila question. For añejos, Don Julio is my personal favorite. Wish I could afford to always keep it in stock.

I second the Don Julio. Delicious.

On 2013-08-18 14:18, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I know one of the Pyrat products is supposed to have an orange flavor component to it... is that Pistol or is it the XO or something else?

Oh my god yes!!!

Here's a good link if you are looking for orange liqueurs: http://ohgo.sh/category/cocktails/orange-liqueur-showdown/

Pyrat XO is probably the rum most deserving of the label 'try before you buy' if you intend to sip it.

On 2013-08-19 12:01, TikiTacky wrote: What's your favorite high end tequila?

Not too derail the thread but...

Tequila is a bit of a funny beast. I've tried way more than I have sipping rums (like 40 tequilas? Compared to ...20 rums? Yep, I went to Playa Del Carmen (near Cancun) & kept asking for samples! If I liked something I'd have a snifter in a bar to get a better feeling for it.

Sipping tequilas are a little bit homogeneous for me, they have depth of flavour but within the 'bounds' of tequila. I think tequila needs a bit of pep for me to enjoy it, that includes sippers.

Don Juilo is quite soft for me, I nearly brought some but I brought back Hennadura Respardo which has a more pep but still quite soft, & EL Jimador blanco as its fine for a white.

But I really should have brought back Chamucos Respardo, but was a cheapskate & reqret it now

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/tequila-chamucos-distillery/

I don't say this in a douche bag way but if you want to try tequila go to Playa De Carmen near Cancun & get it for free! Perhaps the most quickest way to try the most tequilas. PM for travel tips :)

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-19 12:46 ]

Don Julio is the best by far. 1942 to be exact, but it is not cheap. I feel like El Jimador is superior to Patron at less than half the price.

D

I've had an open bottle of Pyrat for a couple years now and it's fine, but I don't often find much use for it. I did like it in one cocktail I made for a while, but I don't remember what it was. Planter's Punch, maybe? It's sweet and definitely has an orange component to it. Very consumer friendly for the mass market, which is not a dumb move.

Don Julio and Avion are my two favorite tequilas, although there are a million I haven't tried. Most of them come in goofy-looking bottles that I think are supposed to be cool. :)

I did a comparison of Zaya and Zacapa 23 this evening as I haven't sipped the Zacapa in months. Yes the Zacapa is a little bit sweet but doesn't have the overwhelming vanilla aroma of Zaya and has a much more nuanced flavor profile with a bitter aftertaste which makes it a much better rum in my opinion. I'm going to try the Zaya in a Navy Grog as maybe the bitter grapefruit will subdue the sweetness of Zaya. I finished my Pyrat XO long ago and don't plan to replace it. I've run out of storage space and TikiCentral has given me leads on other good rums to try!

P

I've been through a bottle and a half so far. The first bottle had strong hints of vanilla and was mild on the 'orange marmalade'. It was a great mixer. But the second bottle has an over strong sweet orange taste and a nasty aftertaste of, for lack of a better term,vomit. I like consistency, so I will not be purchasing another bottle.

GK

I find Pyrat to make an excellent Mai Tai, once you cut back on the simple syrup to account for the sweeter rum (and depending upon the companion rum in the drink).

GK

GK

I find Pyrat to make an excellent Mai Tai, once you cut back on the simple syrup to account for the sweeter rum (and depending upon the companion rum in the drink).

GK

K
kkocka posted on Wed, Oct 2, 2013 4:04 PM

I use Pyrat a lot for mixing. I think it does the job just fine, and I heavily like it - I reserve all the higher aged rums for sipping.

D
djmont posted on Wed, Oct 2, 2013 4:11 PM

Mix the good stuff, too!

Life's too short.

Pages: 1 17 replies