Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Vegas Vic's Podcast!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

V

I finally got around to creating a podcast show. You can subscribe to the feed here. Will be trying to create a new show about all of our favorite stuff (tunes, cocktails, tiki events) each week.

Enjoy!

BB

Sounds great!! Like to tune in on Vic's radio but this 'podcasting' is also a nice concept.

iTuning in... :)

V

Just posted podcast #3: The Hawaiian Show. Classic tracks from legendary Hawaiian artists including Eddie Kamae, Hilo Hattie, Genoa Keawe, Alfred Apaka, Roy Smeck, and more.

Aloha,

Vic

P.S. Instructions for subscribing are now on my home page. Also, don't forget to vote!

FYI #3: I got a file not found error... Will check back later.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 10:16 PM

that would be awsome if i had an ipod!!...kirby

N

Listened to about half of Vic's first podcast today, on my way to work....WOW!!

Great, great stuff, Vic. I need to work on my MP3 to Car Stereo interface, but overall I'm impressed. I, for one, really appreciate it. It's a great asset to the Tiki Community.

For those of you new to the podcast thing (as I am) don't get hung up on the "iPod" part...totally not necessary! While the iPod rocks, all you need to listen to a podcast is a computer. Check out Vic's site--it gives instructions how to get an ipod client program that will keep you updated with new shows, and you can either load the MP3 files onto some other type of MP3 player, listen to them on the computer, or even burn them to a CD if you wanted to.

If you're on Tikicentral, you can listen to a podcast.

Happy listening!!

Scott

R
rupe33 posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 2:11 PM

Vic -
Have been listening to these, and they're terrific! Great music, it's really giving me some great tunes to look for out there in thriftland. Thanks for the great show, please keep it up - it makes my hellish DC commute oh so very better.

Cheers,
Rupe

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 5:35 PM

On 2005-06-06 06:02, new2tiki wrote:
For those of you new to the podcast thing (as I am) don't get hung up on the "iPod" part...totally not necessary! While the iPod rocks, all you need to listen to a podcast is a computer.

Thanks for that info, new2tiki. I assumed it was an "iPod" thing only.

Vic, the shows are great but is there any way to up the bit rate sample?? At least maybe to 128kbps? 56 sounds a bit like AM radio, not that that's a terrible thing but you know... We wouldn't mind the extra d/l time if it's not a legal type thing. Thanks. You kind of sound like Tom Snyder on the Late Late Show.

S

I'm downloading ipod-x right now so I can listen too. Is there a reason one needs a "podcasting client"? Isn't a podcast just a big mp3 file? Will all become clear when the download is complete?

N

Spy-tiki:

I think the only benefit is that you automatically get the file when a new one is published.

But then again, I could be wrong.

Scott

N

DOH! homer simpson style

Double post.

[ Edited by: new2tiki on 2005-06-08 16:59 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 2:28 PM

Yes, I think that's the main reason to get a podcasting client - to automate the downloads like a subscription. In my case, mine ports the audio right into iTunes so whenever there are new podcasts downloaded, they go right onto my machine when I sync it up.

One tip: if you are using iTunes, you can make a "Latest Podcasts" smart playlist. When setting it up, choose genre=podcast and playcount=0 (zero). This will make a list of any podcasts you've not listened to yet! If you have "Live Updating" set up too, it'll move any ones you've already listened to out of the playlist automatically. Of course, this is dependent on your actual content getting tagged as such. Most of the ones I'm listening to (Dawn & Drew, Keith & The Girl, Vegas Vic, etc.) are good about doing so.

Cheers,
Rupe

Posted podcast # 4 - The 3 Kings Show. Focus is on 3 artists; Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and Arthur Lyman. A little hungover during recording, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Future shows in the works include focus on Tahiti, Percussion/Bongos, Belly Dance, and "The Canon".

Vic

N

Vic:

If you're taking requests, since you're a vegas guy, how about something like "The Rat Pack" or some such? Capturing the Heyday of Vegas as a hip spot?

I picked up a cool Ultra-lounge CD at a garage sale a few weeks ago (for .25!!!) that would be just about perfect...

Just a suggestion. Keep the good stuff coming!

Scott
Savannah, GA

V

On 2005-06-12 14:58, new2tiki wrote:
Vic:

If you're taking requests, since you're a vegas guy, how about something like "The Rat Pack" or some such? Capturing the Heyday of Vegas as a hip spot?

Good suggestion, I used to have a Live365.com station that was called Vegas Vic's Rat-Pack, so it's definitely doable. Also look for podcasts highlighting Space-Age Pop, percussion records, etc. I'm having a blast!

Oh, and Vegas is definitely still a hip spot :wink:

N

vic:

Glad you're digging doing the podcast as much as we're digging listening.

Wasn't dissin' your town....sorry if it seemed that way. :)

keep it coming. I really enjoyed the "3 kings" show.

Scott

Cool!!! I just got ipodder all hooked up and listening to podcast #4 now. Tip of the mai-tai to ya Vic for getting out on the cutting edge and putting these shows together. Another great way to learn more info and discover new music! We truly do live in an age of miracle and wonder

Chongolio

Did I really just catch my self saying "cutting edge"

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

Just finished listening to all your shows while working away. Very Very cool and well done Vic. You are very knowledgable and do a great show. I am looking forward to the next one.
Thanks for making the daily grind less abrasive.
:music: :drink: :music:
Chongolio

V

Thank you for the kind words Chongolio. Did you have a chance to vote?

If enough TC'ers vote, the podcast will get more exposure and help spread the tiki love :wink:

Vic

V

Posted Podcast # 5 -- Sophisticated Savages. This week we play a great selection of vinyl-only Exotica tracks from an assortment of 50's-era LP's by Jazz Musicians and Band Leaders who followed the trend and recorded their own "exotic sounds" record; even though the closest they probably every came to anywhere exotic was Long Island or Orange County. It's the sound of paradise as imagined on Madison Avenue or in Culver City.

Aloha and Enjoy,

Vic

N

Vic:

Cast my vote. Keep it coming!!

Scott

In an upcoming podcast I'm planning to play a few tracks from "The 10 Most Essential Exotica Albums"; as defined by the collective opinion of this esteemed and knowledgable (although sometimes tipsy) forum.

Note, these wouldn't necessaily be the rarest or most collectable; but the 10 most "essential" -- desert island discs for Tiki heads.

Suggestions Please!

Cast my vote... :)

Another request, if possible... How about surf style??

N

Vic:

How about:

Voodoo--Robert Drasnin

Ritual of the Savage--Les Baxter

Exotica--Martin Denny

Taboo--Arthur Lyman

If you're including modern stuff;

The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki--Don Tiki

Keep up the great work!!

Scott

V

On 2005-06-19 16:55, new2tiki wrote:
How about:

Voodoo--Robert Drasnin
Ritual of the Savage--Les Baxter
Exotica--Martin Denny
Taboo--Arthur Lyman

That's definitely a good start, obvious easy ones are now out of the way. I'll add these to the discussion:

Tropical Fantasy - Michel Magne
Eden's Island - Eden Ahbez
Sounds of Exotic Island - The Surfmen
Polynesian Fantasy - The Out-Islanders

Hmmm. Now it get's tough....

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-06-19 19:03 ]

Just posted Podcast # 06 -- Surf's Up!. This week Vic plays and reviews an assortment of vintage and new instrumental surf tracks. It's all good!

Aloha,

Vic

VegasVic-
Diggin' the podcasts- great work. You are doing podcasting proud. Keep it up!

Hang ten, Brethren!

Nice Album art, too. :) (iTunes)

V

Posted Podcast # 7. This week features tracks from (in Vic's humble opinion) 10 Essential Exotica LP's. Including:

Hypnotique - Martin Denny
Ritual of the Savage - Les Baxter
Bahia - Arthur Lyman
Voodoo! - Robert Drasnin
Tropical Fantasy - Michel Magne
White Goddess -- Frank Hunter
Sounds of Exotic Island - The Surfmen
Polynesian Fantasy - The Out-Islanders
Eden's Island - Eden Ahbez
Lotus Land - Gene Rains

Enjoy,

Vic

P.S. It's July -- don't forget to Vote at PodcastAlley

V

Posted Podcast # 8 - Hapa Haole Hitmakers. This week Vic plays tracks from pseudo-hawaiian artists playing pseudo-hawaiian music. Mmm, mmm sweet, cheesy, exotica goodness.

Don't forget to vote at PodcastAlley.

Aloha,

Vic

Hey vegas dug the surf show we have very similar taste. Most of the stuff you played was in my collection. I would love to hear another surf show but everything is sounded sweet. I put my vote in for ya.
The new itunes with podcasting is working out pretty killer too!
Thanks again,
Chongolio

Posted Podcast # 9 - Trip to Tahiti. This week Vic takes a musical journey to French Polynesia. Tamure!

Aloha,

Vic

Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2005-07-23 15:38 ]

V

Posted Podcast # 10 - Percussion Spectacular. This week Vic dives into the vintage record vault and plays a selection of all things bongo, mallet, and drum.

Aloha,

Vic

Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2005-07-23 15:38 ]

T

I was a little late at getting hooked up to Vic's podcast. Can someone send me the podcast file for the Surf show? Are these files small enough to email? Is there a place where I can get caught up on the shows I missed? PM me if you can or email @ trustar8"nospam"@yahoo.com.

Help! Feeling a little slow on the uptake here.

Grassy Ass

Trustar

J

Now I'm not completely up to speed about Podcasting but the iPodder software I'm using still shows that the Surf Episode is available for download - I'd e-mail it to you but I hardly know what the hell I'm doing. :)

T

Thanks John

A big "Nevermind"

Just heard the instructions at the end of Vic's latest broadcast. It is downloading as I type this. I feel so complete now!

This is just to cool.

Trustar

V

Posted Podcast # 11 - Jungle Madness!. In this weeks show Vic plays Jungle-themed exotica tracks.

Aloha,

Vic

V

Posted Podcast # 12 - Caravan, Miserlou, and Taboo. In this weeks show Vic introduces a new format; plays versions of three classic exotica tracks, talks about tiki news and events, and of course, cocktail of the week!

Aloha,

Vic

Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2005-08-06 20:46 ]

Posted Podcast # 14 - A Taste of India. I was on a business trip to Bangalore, India last week. Despite having made the trip many times, it's always a killer -- so I'm a little under the weather this week. Anyway, in this week's podcast Vic plays India-inspired exotica tracks.

Aloha,

Vic

Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2005-08-14 12:17 ]

V

Posted Podcast # 15 - The Moon of Manakoora. In this episode, Vic plays 17 different version of the exotica classic.

Aloha,

Vic

T

Vic

Are we superstitious or was I asleep at the wheel again and miss podcast #13??? Thanks for all of your efforts with this project. It's been great.

Trustar

V

Trustar - you didn't miss anything. Numerology, superstition, and years of gambling prevent me from using the number 13. Doh! I just used it....

Posted Podcast # 16 - Lost in Space. In this episode, Vic plays space-themed exotica classics.

Aloha,

Vic

Great show, VV.

On an unrelated note, has the World gone crazy for Victoria Acosta yet? I'm hearing her voice in my sleep...

V

On 2005-08-29 07:33, pappythesailor wrote:
Great show, VV.

On an unrelated note, has the World gone crazy for Victoria Acosta yet? I'm hearing her voice in my sleep...

Dude, I am so with you on that. It drives me crazy too!

The Dr. Phil reference in the low production value trac from Acosta sends me over the edge. The other stinger on Live 365, is Anabelle from Bow Wow Wow doing the advert for rock.com.

Her lame, "it Rrrrroocks!" at the end is weak. Perhaps Tony the Tiger would be a better candidate.

V

Posted Podcast # 17 - Tiki Mix. In this episode, Vic plays an exotica mix, remembers good times in the Big Easy, and reminds us to help the victims of hurricane Katrina through a donation.

Aloha,

Vic

Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2005-09-06 12:18 ]

Actually, new podcast is below.

http://www.vegasvics.com/podcast/vvtl090405.mp3

Nice show again, VV.

Pages: 1 2 81 replies