Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Does anyone know anything about?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Can anyone tell me anything about this Tiki? What it might be made out of? Style? It's kind of stringy, I think it's organic. Strange material? Doesn't seem to be a plam? Thanks

[edited by Hanford to get rid of the extra ????s in the title]

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-27 11:41 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-10-27 16:10 ]

fernwood?

fernwood? The style looks like Kona .

Chiki's right,

This looks like the stringy wood from a tree fern. It is definitely Hawaiian-style, done after this type of Hawaiian god:

Is this the "Kona" god you're talking about, Chiki? (I've never known its name).

Here is another picture of a tree-fern tiki from the old Tiki Gardens in Florida:

Sabu

Thanks you guys, I thought it might be Fernwood, but I couldn't remember what fern looked like. I would like to know his name if you can remember, :D Thanks

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-27 12:00 ]

When I was just starting to collect tiki about eight years ago, I came across an estate-sale in Lomita where there were a matched pair of 5-foot tree-fern tikis lying together on a blanket. They had been sitting by this guy's swimming pool since the 1960s. I eagerly asked him how much he was selling them for but he said, "Sorry, I just sold them to someone else about five minutes ago". I was crushed. Especially when I found out he had sold them for ten dollars a piece! I practically wept leaving that sale. I don't think I've ever fully recovered since, and I've never found vintage carved wooden tikis at a garage sale in the eight years since then. I think that single event fuels my garage, estate-sale mania. I know that if I'm hunting every weekend, I'll find one someday.

Sabu

Sabu, I'm no expert, but I know that Kona refers to the style of carved image, based on the region that it was originally found in.

Sabu, that American President Lines menu cover is awesome, I am going to use it for the Witco book. If I could borrow yours please, my friend De Soto Brown would not have to send his all the way from Hawaii.

It is a rendering of one of the few surviving FEATHER images from Cook's 3rd voyage, made out of rare and sacred red bird feathers, representing Ku, god of war.

Sure, Bigbro.

Just let me know when you need it and I'll bring it out to you, or to the next event we all attend, (which should be frequently, knowing the party habits of this group).

Sabu

M

Last summer I found a carved fern tiki in the corner of someones back yard at an estate sale partially hidden by some plants.
I always scour peoples yards at estate sales . At another sale I found two Inca woman style earring mugs from the Stockton Islander hidden in a large potted plant. You never know what can be found.

On 2002-10-28 15:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sabu, that American President Lines menu cover is awesome, I am going to use it for the Witco book. If I could borrow yours please, my friend De Soto Brown would not have to send his all the way from Hawaii.

It is a rendering of one of the few surviving FEATHER images from Cook's 3rd voyage, made out of rare and sacred red bird feathers, representing Ku, god of war.

Obviously not the one you were referring to but this is the only mention of American President Lines I could find:

PTD

A

On 2002-10-28 15:52, bigbrotiki wrote:

FWIW since PTD resurrected this, that long-ago discussion above was about this image from an American President Lines menu illustrated by Don Clever:

You can also see it discussed in this 2008 thread which shows various Hawaiian Village artifacts reusing the same image. And you can even see the page in Tiki Modern where Sven ended up using the Hawaiian Village menu version of that image.

-Randy

Ah Yah: The classic Beauty & the Beast pairing! I was even happier to find the Tampa Hawaiian Village rip off version of that menu, with the "Hawaii in Tampa" line on it, because as many folks know, I am trying to keep mainland Tiki and Hawaiiana clear as two different genres :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-09-21 01:11 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies