29. Alfred Apaka - The Magic Islands
  30. Webley Edwards - Beyond the Reef Opening
  31. Haunani - Beyond the Reef
  32. Leni Okehu - Luau Lei
  33. Johnny Poi – Makalapua
  34. Ray Kinney – Nani
  35. Webley Edwards - Medley Aloha Oe

Whew!

Thank goodness we cleared that up! Sorry, Tikibars, if I misunderstood your statement about making a CD from an original vinyl copy of a record not meaning it's legit and the music being under copyright, not the medium. I understood it, of course, but didn't "get it" at the same time. The Availablity issue is what is worth paying attention to. It, really, is the only thing that makes "trading" worthwhile to begin with.

Swanky's list is perfect (not only a perfect list, but a perfect example for us to follow). It gives us plenty to look forward to and, at the same time, allows people to let him know if they have a problem with him offering what he's offering. I'll be posting my own lists soon. I kinda wish we'd thought of doing it sooner despite the fact that it would have superceded my last, I feel, very well written post.

One thing I love about TC is the degree to which we can all agree to not disagree. Damn. Lot's of "gree"s in that last sentence...

S

Looking back on my list I see a couple that I should mention. They are available on CD now. My CD uses my recording of the LP, but you can get Alfred Apaka's tunes here and Eden's Island here, my version of this is also from LP. I highly recommend both. Alfred is widely available on LP, if you have a record player. One of his CDs is otherwise a must. Eden's Island is perhaps my #1 Exotica record.

T

With all this talk off swapping music on CD, is anyone bring actual records to swap? I was planning on bringing my doubles and do some trading. But if nobody is bringing their records, I don't want to lug mine. If anyones is planning to do so, please let me know. If one person says they are, then I'll fill my suitcase with them.

Thanx

Records, eh? Not me. They're hard enough to come by around here to begin with. I only have one "Dupe" in my Hapa Haole collection (Hawaiian Interlude by Jonnie Aluani and His Orchestra - many songs from which appeared on plenty of other Spin-O-Rama and Wyncote albums "by other artists")and figure draggin' it down there would be more of a hassle than it would be worth to anyone.
If, on the other hand, I were to get down there and find some records For Sale...? Hmmmmmmmmmm... :)

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2005-09-21 22:10 ]

Okee dokee...

Here's my offering for Hukilau 2005.

Let me state right off the bat that I am doing my best to follow the rules laid out in this thread. I like rules. I recognize their usefulness and the necessity for them (most of the time) and, therefore, follow them to the letter. I take solace in the fact that anyone who is missing out on ever hearing Martin Denny's version of Ebb Tide, from Exotica - Vol. 2, can simply dial in to the local Hip Hop, Hot Hits, Classic Rock or NPR station on their FM dial and listen for the rest of their lives and will, maybe (more than likely not, but...), hear part of it in a commercial or an "Underwriting Statement" at some point.

So... Sorry about the limited content but I've spent the last 2 weeks checking every vintage Hawaiian or Exotica album I've ever bought against the database on amazon.com and have come away with a couple of CDs that, I feel pretty certain, are not available to any of you apart from Thrift Shops and Vintage Stores at this point.

The content of the following playlists is shallow on the Exotica end (most of the Exotica that I own on vinyl is available on CD at this point, I suppose) and a good bit of it represents an attempt by "Easy Listening" artists to cash in on the Hawaiian mood of the 50s (as, I'm sure, some of them did). Therefore, I would like to ask that anyone who wants one send me a Personal Message to ask about it. I'm not "Trading" these. I will if anyone has anything they feel comfortable about "Trading" at Hukilau but, basically, I'm giving these away. I'd just like to know how many to bring with me.

Thanks.

Here they are...

Disc 1:
01. The Hukilau Song - Webley Edwards with Al Kealoha Perry
02. Quiet Village - Leo Addeo and His Orchestra and Chorus
03. Beyond the Reef - The Surfmen
04. Mood Hawaiian - Luke Leilani
05. Driftwood and Dreams - Henry Mancini
06. Red Sails in the Sunset - Heart of Hawaii
07. Paradise Found - Felix Slatkin
08. Now is the Hour - Alfred Newman and Ken Darby
09. Adventures in Paradise - Henry Mancini
10. Song of the Islands - The Outriggers
11. Ke Kali Nei Iau (Hawaiian Wedding Song) - The Polynesians
12. Pink Hawaii - Billy Mure and The Islanders
13. Makala Pua - The Polynesians
14. Sweet Leilani - Webley Edwards with Al Kealoha Perry
15. Mauna Wili Hula - The Polynesians
16. Drowsy Waters - Jonnie Aluani and His Orchestra
17. Naka Pueo - Johnny Pineapple
18. Return to Paradise - John Evans
19. Bali Ha'i - The Surfmen
20. Farewell and Aloha - The Polynesians

And...

Disc 2:
01. The Hukilau Song - Felix Slatkin
02. To You Sweetheart, Aloha - Webley Edwards with Al Kealoha Perry
03. The Enchanted Sea - Alfred Newman and Ken Darby
04. Sweet Leilani - 101 Strings
05. The Hawaiian Wedding Song - Henry Mancini
06. Ports of Paradise - Alfred Newman and Ken Darby
07. The Moon of Manakoora - Heart of Hawaii
08. Lilac and Spanish Moss - The Hawaiian Islanders
09. Makala Pua - The Surfmen
10. Quiet Village - Henry Mancini
11. Return to Paradise - Billy Mure and The Islanders
12. An Occasional Man - John Evans
13. Minoi, Minoi - Chango and the Polynesians
14. Now Is the Hour - The Outriggers
15. Beyond the Reef - Heart of Hawaii
16. Bird of Paradise - The Hawaiian Islanders
17. Love Song of Hawaii - Leo Addeo and His Orchestra and Chorus
18. Bali Ha'i - The Waikikis
19. Isle of Golden Dreams - The Polynesians
20. Farewell Song - Webley Edwards with Al Kealoha Perry

Please let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2005-09-28 23:34 ]

Okay. Well, anyway... I'm gonna bring about 8 copies of each and if anyone wants to trade for them they can. Otherwise I'll just give them, asking nothing in return ,to whoever wants them. Sounds fair to me.

I'll bring some trades as well.....

1-Gene Rains-In The Tropics
Paul Page-Hawaiian Honeymoon
Paul Page-Let's Have A Luau

2-Nelson Waikiki-Ukelele Stylist
Ohta-San-Pacific Potpourri
Eddie Bush-A Man And His Ukelele

3- Jon Hall-Directs Music From Honolulu
(Live at the Lahaina Hotel w Quiet Village)
Jon Hall-Brings Music From Hawaii

IZ

Ok, I'm back in! After reading Traitor Vic's latest posting, I was really impressed by his dedication, and hard work, so following his lead, I used Amazon's data base, and put together a mixed CD. Hope people like it.

See ya soon...

I, Zombie

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2005-10-04 19:43 ]

That was Awesome, guys!

I enjoyed every momement I was involved! Just hangin' around was worth the flight down. The stuff I brought home is entertaining me at this very moment. Hope my silly discs are found to be enjoyable by all who got 'em. I think we played by the rules very well.

Can't wait for Next Year!

S

Great to talk shop with Zombie and Fury. My meager offering made me sad, but I loved talking with you guys. I'll dig out from under this rubble later this week and spin your tunes on the commute. Thanks!

Swanky, Traitor Vic--thanks for the great mix CDs and the great conversation. Nothing beats those thrift store "war stories." Plus, Traitor Vic's [in]famous "bird and cricket noise" CD is worth it just for the liner notes, not to mention the great music!

IZ

Quince-at-Danny's, I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks to both Traitor Vic and Swanky for hanging out and jawing during the Saturday afternoon's music swap. And the CDs are great! Traitor, yes, that "bird and cricket noise" compilation is great and the liner notes are a hoot. And I don't think I'll ever forget Swanky's story about that record sale that was "All you can carry for $5."
Just great stuff.

Thanks!

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2005-10-11 06:29 ]

Hey, Teitelbaum (Tidal Wave?)!!!

This 'Prolusion' thing ROCKS!!! Well... Throbs... Grooves... Chunkachunks... It actually does a lot of things! That's my New Second Favorite Version of Beautiful World!!!

Thanks!

T

On 2005-10-12 23:25, Traitor Vic wrote:
This 'Prolusion' thing ROCKS!!! Well... Throbs... Grooves... Chunkachunks... It actually does a lot of things! That's my New Second Favorite Version of Beautiful World!!!

You're welcome Vic.

I am usually hesitant to promote Left Orbit Temple around the Tiki crowd because it isn't AT ALL Tiki music... and on top of that it is just too weird for most people! But I am really glad you like it. I had a copy of it on Ebay, and Mark Mothersbaugh himself was the winning bidder!

Pages: 1 2 63 replies