Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Mai Kai Swizzle

Pages: 1 8 replies

IZ

Just returned from the Mai Kai (was there over Memorial Day weekend). Had a wonderful cocktail: the Mai Kai Swizzle.

Here's our best guess at the drink. Not exact, but a good drink that uses lemon instead of lime (which is a nice change up).

1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 oz fresh orange juice
1 oz mango juice
1/2 oz Bols Orange Curacao
1/2 oz sugar syrup/honey mix
1/4 oz Orgeat
1 oz white appleton
1 oz red label appleton

Mix the ingredients together. Pack a glass with crushed ice. Pour in drink and stir until glass frosts. Garnish with a slice of orange rind.

Had a chance to partake of this drink along with some cribbage and exotica records at I, Zombies pad the other night, and I can vouch for the quality of this recipe. I'm not sure if it's exactly like the Mai Kai Swizzle, since it's been months since I've had the real thing. But one thing that worked well was not shaking the drink--rather, pouring it into the crushed ice and swizzling it. It had a rich, fruity, almost creamy texture very reminiscent of a typical Mai Kai drink. Somehow, it tastes even better if you have "The Versatile Mancini" spinning in the background...

Once again, an old Tiki Central thread comes in handy as we continue our journey through the Mai-Kai cocktail menu.

The Mai-Kai Swizzle, which dates back to 1956, is likely a descendant of the Donn Beach classic Don's Swizzle.

Check out the review and tribute recipe ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/02/mai-kai-cocktail-review-mai-kai-swizzle-showcases-old-school-technique/

I, Zombie was on the right track. We just tweaked some of the ingredients and proportions to come up with another great Mai-Kai tribute recipe.

Okole maluna!

Your work on the Atomic Grog Blog has been nothing short of amazing Hurricane!!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2012 8:29 AM

Remind me to add this one, and any others uncovered, to the Grogalizer.

A

On 2012-04-03 08:29, Swanky wrote:
Remind me to add this one, and any others uncovered, to the Grogalizer.

Great idea!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2012 1:04 PM

Done, but I discovered some issues with the Grogalizer since the hack. Gotta get all that stuff fixed...

I am going to change the "Basement Kahuna's Recipes" to just "Other Recipes" soon.

How about a Mai-Kai section of The Grogalizer, with cross references to the Don the Beachcomber originals? When all the reviews are done, it would be nice to have everything searchable.

Sounds like we need to discuss at The Hukilau over a few Black Magics. Which leads me to my next review. Hold onto your fez, this one's gonna be good.

On 2012-04-03 22:18, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
How about a Mai-Kai section of The Grogalizer, with cross references to the Don the Beachcomber originals? When all the reviews are done, it would be nice to have everything searchable.

Sounds like we need to discuss at The Hukilau over a few Black Magics. Which leads me to my next review. Hold onto your fez, this one's gonna be good.

Seconded!

Pages: 1 8 replies