Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hearst Castle... Any recomendations?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha,
I'm planning a trip down to see Hearst Castle in mid August with some family from out of town. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on where to stay, eat, etc.?
I was thinking this might be a good excuse to hit the Madonna Inn but I'm not sure of its proximity to Hearst Castle.
Mahalo,
:tiki:

The Wine tasting is top notch down that way...be sure to hit the graperies around Paso Robles...big F-ing Reds dry-farmed.

If you travel with a lowly Cur (like I do) there is a great place right on the Beach not too far from your destination. Cambira Shores. (I think it's called the Cambria Shores Inn or some such)

There never sem to be kids, but every room you walk past there are barks.

It has an ocean view yard, and Chairs to drink on while watching the sunset, or sunrise.

There is also a statue of St Francis next to the Pooper Scooper..."St Francis of A-feces" I called him, to nobody's amuzment.

It's about 40 degrees cooler there than the inland areas. Cool foggy nights, yessir.

M

It's not too far from the Madonna, if your family would be into that. If you've never been, it's a must see. You can also check out Bubble Gum Alley in town. Truly vile.

There is an antique store down by Hearst Castle that I stopped in and found an ultra rare Bert Rovere's Hurricane Mug. It was marked 14 dollars. I sold it on eBay when I needed money for an engagement ring back in September for around 250 bucks.

T

Check out the Harbor Hut in Morro Bay. There's a few rotting tikis around the restaurant on the grounds.

Harbor Hut
1205 Embarcadero
(805) 772-2257

If you can't stay at the Madonna Inn (no excuses - it's worth every penny) at least eat in the steakhouse there. It's crazy!

On the way there you can't go wrong having a Santa Maria style steak at the Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe or the Hitching Post in Casmalia.

I'm heading down to Cambria this weekend!

Hubby and I always stay at the same place ... The Whitewater Inn. It's right across the street from the beach and the service is amazing! The rooms all have fireplaces, refrigerators and TVs with VCRs. There is a library of videos you can borrow in the lobby. Every morning they bring a breakfast tray with baked goodies, fruit, coffee and hot chocolate to your room and wash the windows of our car. If you feel like splurging (we are!) they have two suites that have a private living room with a bay window overlooking the ocean and private patio out front with your own hot tub. It's HEAVEN. I would highly, highly, highly recommend this place -- I've taken my parents and my in-laws there and they loved it.

Check their website -- they often have specials that include a voucher for lunch or dinner at local restaurants. It's a great deal!

The website is: http://www.whitewaterinn.com

Echoing Brahs Martiki and Jab: If you can - at least go down to SLO-Town and at least see the Modonna Inn - and stay in Kona Rock Room if you can. Humu and I were just talking about it the other night at the Lucky Tiki. We compared notes and I figured out that I have actually slept in the same bed as HumuHumu!! Wooo hoooo! 10 years apart, but still! :blush:

[ Edited by: PapeToaTane on 2005-06-10 21:33 ]

T

Tiki Royale - we have been going to Cambria (down the road form Hearst Castle) every year since we got married...

I strongly recommend the Cambria Pines Lodge - a very nice place with good complimentary breakfasts, in a beautiful setting - and they certainly won't gouge you like most of the other hotels in town....

If you are going during July 4th - you have to go to the Fireworks on the Beach! PM me for more details if you want... We love Cambria & San Simeon!

On 2005-06-13 08:08, Tangaroa wrote:
Tiki Royale - we have been going to Cambria (down the road form Hearst Castle) every year since we got married...

I strongly recommend the Cambria Pines Lodge - a very nice place with good complimentary breakfasts, in a beautiful setting - and they certainly won't gouge you like most of the other hotels in town....

If you are going during July 4th - you have to go to the Fireworks on the Beach! PM me for more details if you want... We love Cambria & San Simeon!

I second Tang's suggestion. Cambria Pines Lodge is a great place. I've stayed there 3 times. I also love Cambria.
You're going to love the castle too.

I stayed at the http://www.bluedolphininn.com/ about 10 years ago when I visited Califoria. I believe it is very close to Hearst Castle and was right across the road from the ocean.

My family and I have always stayed at the San Simeon Pines Resort on the north end of Cambria, right on the beach. Their 9-hole 3-par golf course is quite amusing. Their rates are really reasonable and the owners are super-friendly.

I was a Hearst Castle tour guide in a previous life. ("Here's where Marion Davies stashed her liquor....")

R
rupe33 posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 8:32 PM

I'd HIGHLY* recommend the Madonna Inn (no, not that madonna!), especially the rooms like Daisy Mae, Caveman, Jungle Rocks....

Not exactly tiki, but retro-riffic!!!!
http://www.madonnainn.com

~Rupe

Kon Tiki in Pismo Beach.

I also love the winery @ Harmony, off PCH.

Pages: 1 12 replies