Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Bar for Sale???

Pages: 1 5 replies

K

It is not for sale yet. It really does not exist yet. The story...

My brothers and I will buy a restaurant tomorrow in Chicagoland IL and create a tiki bar/restaurant. Ask James Teitletilimbaum, I have been searching for a spot for years. It is risky. I have to purchase restaurant and then sign lease without the liquor license. I only have a tentative promise from the mayor that he will issue to me... no guarantee Hopefully things work out, but if I do not get the liquor license, I will be forced to sell even before opening. In which case, there will be a brand spanking new restaurant/bar with stage/new staging for sale in Chicago for a steal!

If I do not get the liquor license, I will look to sell immediately for $150K or just under... turn key restaurant / bar seating a total of 65. There will be no loans/liens on this place.

If you were at the Exotica '03, I am the guy that produced the Bob Chinns Luau. The set, decor and all staging were made by my company. http://www.acustomproduction.com .

As soon as I have time, I will start posting all info on the place including the layouts, etc.

It is really sad to have to entertain an exit stragey even before opening. I feel that if I do not take the risk now, it might never happen. And as those who have researched opening / buying a bar know, it is expensive... so when a deal comes, you have to be ready to take a risk.

If I do not get the liquor license, It will be for sale in September ish. If interested, please let me know

Apologies if I have offended anyone with a sales pitch. I come here often, but dont post much.

Aloha,
Scott

Your props are spectacular. Are the tikis urethane foam on a base of some sort or molded fiberglass? Great size.

Good luck!!!

S

I have heard that Chicago is working to make it very hard to have a liquor bar. They are making you jump through hoops to get a license in order to get a handle on all the pure drinking establishments.

But, don't be too down. Every business should start with an exit strategy. You get 1,2 6 months in and you evaluate. If the business is tanking, you bail out before you lose more money. It's just the way it works.

Also, even here in TN, you have to open your bar/restaurant and start serving before they will come inspect your place and decide if you get a liquor license. They are a lot less strict here, but, you will have to open the doors and serve with no tropical drinks, and you might not get the approval! Scary.

I think you will get it. A tiki bar/restaurant is not the sort of place they are fighting against there in Chicago. Keep Alfred Apaka on the stereo and no way will they deny you! Hapa Haole rowdy drunk? No way. Good mana to you!

K

Thanks BK. I consider that an honor coming from you. I wish to one day create something as nice as your work. Which tikis were you asking about? We use different methods for different size props. The ones on my home page are rigid carved foam with plastic hard coat... then air brushed. Some of the big ones are essentially large, fiberglass shells....hallow with wood frame... made for easy/tough transport

Swanky, thanks for the advice. Regarding liquor license, the way it works here... You need lease and insurance to apply for liquor license/LL. Many landlords will grant temp lease and insurance company will give temp insurance based on $0 sales (very cheap then)... then you apply. If you dont get LL, you are not out much and do not have a lease around your neck. You loose a couple hundered in temp ins and a few thousand for couple months rent. Unfortuately, the landlord I am working with will not give temp lease, and I can not pass up the deal.

I have followed your post about your project for some time. If you want, I will send you my BP. I spent a good year on it. As I made the plan, everything evolved into what the plan is now. Big changes from start to current. Definitely downsized a TON as I learned more about the industry. Making this BP was probably the most important thing I did in this project...invaluable. Know each and every penny to start up and then to operate. And I agree, have good exit!
Thanks!!!

S

Kalani,
I am hip about the BP. Mine has taken so many turns, I am about to start over from scratch! But that's good. I have learned a lot in the process. I think I can make a very solid plan now. I'd love to see yours and maybe give you some advice. I have come up with a bunch of what I think are good ideas that I can share with you.
It's sort of the same here to get a LL. You have to have everything in place as a restaurant and bonding and all that, and then you get to apply for the LL and see if they give it to you. But you actually have to be open and servign meals here before they will inspect you for the LL.

Pages: 1 5 replies