Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kon Tiki Sheraton-Gibson Hotel Cincinnati

Pages: 1 4 replies

TJ

I was searching google for Kon Tiki at the Sheraton hotel here in Cincinnati when I found this. It is from someone's diary that they posted. It tells of the writer's many visits to the Kon Tiki here in Cincinnati. I thought everyone might enjoy this personal slice of history.

"Every Saturday night we ate dinner at the Kon-Tiki, in the Sheraton-Gibson Hotel. Our weekends weren't OUR weekends without this special touch, complete with its Polynesian atmosphere. How serious were we about this "special touch"? I always called in the reservation just to be sure we weren't disappointed, but it didn't take long before we noticed the "little things". Like they stopped checking the book to confirm our reservation when they saw us coming. We were always greeted by name (it wasn't long before all the full-time waitresses and the head waiter knew us on an almost "personal" level). If it was available we always got our favorite table, under the "star-lit" sky, near the waterfall. And obviously, as we left it was "see you next week" that we heard behind us. Linda loved the recognition. With everything she’d endured before then, she thrived on the fact that she was actually being treated with respect; appreciated for the person she was.
(In the almost three years we went there, I don't think we missed more than 3 Saturdays. And I have to believe that those were unintentional. The Sheraton-Gibson is gone, now. Torn down about 1976 for a hotel-office tower complex. And they had to add insult to injury. They put the new Westin hotel right on the site of the Gibson. At the liquidation sale of the Gibson’s contents, though, we did pick up two of the marble lamps from that Bridal Suite. I still have them, and they still work."

TJ

If anyone has any photos, menus, mugs etc from the Kon Tiki in Cincinnati, please let me know.

K

Thanks for the post Joe. I don't have pics for you, but I appreciate you putting the diary entry up for us to read.

Ahu

Came across this swizzle for the Gibson location.

[ Edited by: Bail Tekey 2015-07-16 15:53 ]

There is already a post for this Kon Tiki location under Locating Tiki. These posts should go there.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33782&forum=2&hilite=cincinnati

That is a great swizzle! Never seen one like that before.

DC

Pages: 1 4 replies