Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Looking for nautical theme room decor suggestions/suppliers

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

We're just starting to get our baby room set up and are planning on a nuatical/tiki theme. If anyone has links to good (and cheap) suppliers, any examples of well-done rooms or local suppliers here in the SF Bay Area, any help is much appreciated.

Mostly I'm looking for nautical stuff since I already got the hook-up for tiki goods right here. :wink: Also looking for tips on fabricating stuff like rope-wrapped pilings and such. And we need a pelican.

Mahalo!

We were also hoping to eventually get a thread going on tiki themed kid rooms that anyone has created. A while back CC Rider (or his wife, who was also an artist, but I can't remember her name ) posted some really great pictures of their daughters room, but that was a while ago, and I KNOW that Poly Pop, Sugar Caddy Daddy, Bamboo Ben and Monkey Man MUST have done some tiki decor in their kids rooms! We'd love to see them, we'll post Baby Pineapple room pix when we get all the junk cleared out and start decorating!
Mrs. P

On 2005-06-16 19:01, Tiki-bot wrote:

And we need a pelican.

White or brown?
Perching or flying?

Just make sure it's housebroken.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 16, 2005 9:38 PM

Everyone needs a pelican at one stage in their house. Just keep it away from puppies:

On the radio they had a segment on pets eating things. One lady was walking her new puppy along the beach without a lead. A pelican swooped it up and had a puppy for dinner!

And that doesn't help at all with your question!

My Mom used to have a pet pelican. Serious!!! No joke!! Named Abraham. When she was growing up down at Whites Point. She would take a nap in the piles of fish net and Abraham would wake her up every afternoon She would clap her hands and yell his/her name every morning and Abraham would come and hang out with her. Crazy but true!!

K

"Fly pelican Fly"

If you're ever down South, try Oceanic Arts, in beautiful Whittier, CA. About 1/2 an hour East of L.A. Or, try http://www.seagifts.com

[ Edited by: SwampCreature on 2005-06-17 00:07 ]

Tiki-Bot & Mrs. P-

I've got a clear glass buoy lens I can donate. It makes a really good lamp. It's from one of the local buoys taken out of service in 1967. I'd like to see it go to the room of a future Tiki Lover. Just shoot me a PM.

On 2005-06-16 22:17, RevBambooBen wrote:
My Mom used to have a pet pelican. Serious!!! No joke!! Named Abraham. When she was growing up down at Whites Point. She would take a nap in the piles of fish net and Abraham would wake her up every afternoon She would clap her hands and yell his/her name every morning and Abraham would come and hang out with her. Crazy but true!!

I was going to mention that! I'm glad you beat me to it, I couldn't remember the name or details, just the story from "How Daddy Became a Beachcomber."

On 2005-06-16 22:17, RevBambooBen wrote:

That's so cool, I have a spiritual, past life connection to the pelicans, I think. They're so pretty! Once when I was on bike ride near Pt. Reyes Station, I came across a peilican with a fish hook in it's beak, and he was all tangled up in fishing line (grrrrrrr). Fortunately the Fish and Game guys were there, and were trying to coax him into a crate to take him the bird rescue center. Pelicans are HUGE, giant wings and heads and beaks! I love them! That's a great story Ben!
mrs. p

J
john posted on Fri, Jun 17, 2005 11:42 AM

dont know if they have them by you, but craftmart has a bunch of nautical stuff.

On 2005-06-16 21:27, ZebraTiki wrote:

White or brown?
Perching or flying?

Just make sure it's housebroken.

We like the Pacific Brown pelicans, perched. I see a bunch on ebay - probably going to get it there.

I'd also like links or photos of any undersea murals, the simple kind that I could paint myself on the wall (not elaborate like a scene from Nemo!).

Thnaks!

You need to get one of these guys

Carved by the world famous Benzart back in the day.

Best wishes with the new addition and cant wait to see the finished room.

Have you tried that redwood carver guy on 7th and Ashby in Berkeley? He might be able to carve a pelican for you.

Not sure if this is your style, but there's a place in San Diego that does some nice sandcastings: Faust Sandcastings

I love pelicans (white or brown). Pelicans are fishermen, whereas seagulls are scavengers. I've sat on the shore and watched a pelican catch a fish only to see a gull try to steal it away from him (or her). That jus' ain't right, but I reckon it's nature's way, kinda like "the frog & the scorpion" (but that's a whole other story).

I'm so glad there are lots of pelican fans!

I confess that one of the reasons I like the Cliff House restaurant is to watch the pelicans fly by at window level. The brown pelicans always remind me of pteranodons.

I've had a white pelican trying to mooch tidbits off my plate at an outdoor cafe in Tiburon. They are deadly accurate with the tip of that beak.

On 2005-06-17 05:36, aquaorama wrote:
Tiki-Bot & Mrs. P-

I've got a clear glass buoy lens I can donate. It makes a really good lamp. It's from one of the local buoys taken out of service in 1967. I'd like to see it go to the room of a future Tiki Lover. Just shoot me a PM.

Cool! What does it look like? We actually have a sconce lamp on the wall we need to replace/alter with something more aligned wit the theme. Can you send me a pic of it and it's size?

Thanks!

On 2005-06-19 17:41, ZebraTiki wrote:
I'm so glad there are lots of pelican fans!

I confess that one of the reasons I like the Cliff House restaurant is to watch the pelicans fly by at window level. The brown pelicans always remind me of pteranodons.

I've had a white pelican trying to mooch tidbits off my plate at an outdoor cafe in Tiburon. They are deadly accurate with the tip of that beak.

I used to take the Oakland Ferry into the city for work a few years ago, and we'd see squadrons of pelicans out on the bay, and they are really one of the most beautiful birds ever (I like the Great Blue Heron, hummingbirds and any hawks too!) I agreee with SWJ, seagulls are one step up from pigeons, while pelicans are working for a living!

mrs. p

J

Hi Tik-Bot

My wife did an "Enchanted Tiki Room" nursery for our baby girl. Here is the link to the thread with pictures. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14212&forum=1 . It is still not finished yet. We want to do a faux thatched roof for the window seat area. Later, when she does not need a crib anymore and moves into a bed, we plan to do a mural on the wall behind the bed. I was thinking of doing a tangaroa tree (from the enchanted tiki room at disneyland).

Anyway... regarding your quest for nautical items and pelicans, I may have something you would like. When I bought my house, I inherited a cast of pelican perched on a wooden pole. It is made of concrete and is painted brown (I think.) It is a bit heavy,and might cost a bunch to ship, but you can certainly have it if you want it for whatever the shipping cost would be. I'll take a picture of it later and post it here.

As far as suppliers of nautical items, I have seen lots of decorative items at Marshalls that look nautical.

Oh, I just remembered seeing an episode of

Finally... I know this wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for a kids room (although I have tiki mugs in my kids room), here are a couple nautical themed cocktail shakers that I thought were pretty cool. One is a lighthouse and the other is a Ship's port lantern and starboard lantern .

OTHER IDEAS:

1. Make a lifesaver shaped pillow with "S.S. Tiki-Bot" -- or whatever your last name is -- embroidered on it. Or, as a wall decoration, you could probably get a regular lifesaver with the same embroidery.(I actually found this site http://www.popsicletoes.com/main/Youth%20Bedding.All.6/display.group/Nautical after I thought of it).

2. Get an old trunk to store toys in. My parents had one that they got pretty cheap at an antique store. It looked like a pirate's treasure chest... kinda like thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63591&item=7331640941&rd=1

They also had...

1. A mirror that looked like a ship's steering wheel. (Or you can mount a clock on to the wheel)

2. Porthole mirror or picture frame. http://www.nautical-products.com/nautical-mirrors.html

3. Nautical bric-a-brac. I've seen decorative items at Marshalls that looks like sextants, barometers mounted on wood, etc.

4. Glass globes mounted in netting. (I found some of these at a place called "Old time Pottery." I've also seen them at stores (locally) that sell sea shells.

5. Shells. How about a nice, big conch!

6. Bed shaped like a dinghy. (I actually saw an episode of Trading Spaces Boys vs. Girls where they made a room that looked like a pirate's ship. It was very cool.

7. Nautical flags that spell out the child's name.

8. Telegraph. http://www.nautical-instrument.com/telegraphs.html

9. Wallpaper that looks like old nautical charts or antique maps.

On 2005-06-20 14:06, joefla70 wrote:

1. Make a lifesaver shaped pillow with "S.S. Tiki-Bot" -- or whatever your last name is -- embroidered on it. Or, as a wall decoration, you could probably get a regular lifesaver with the same embroidery.

I could make that for cheap! :wink:

WOW! JoeFla - that is really great information, thank you so much for the ideas. It's really nice to see that we're not the only people who think tiki's are appropriate for babies! (We know how Otto and Baby Doe feel about it, and we know Vander impressed everyone at the Oasis with his knowledge of tikis, so we pretty sure it won't warp ours to have tikis in his room!)
Sydney is adorable! Just so there's no mistake though, this room is, of course, more for us, than the baby Pineapple, but hopefully he'll like it too :)
We'll post some pictures down the road as we get things accomplished!

Cindy - we'll talk about the flotation device!

thanks again for all the feedback!

Mrs. Pineapple

Hey Tiki-Bot

I'm stuck up in Lake Tahoe until Friday. I'll send ya a picture this weekend. It looks like a very small version of a lighthouse lens. It's about 7 to 8 inches tall and 10 inches wide. It's pretty much a glass sleeve with no top or bottom. It has the grooves in the glass so that a ".77 amp" buoy lightbuld will show for 4 miles. It looks really cool with a candle of lightbulb in it.

Pages: 1 23 replies