Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Earthquakes & Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 19 replies

TM

Not sure if this belongs here, but oh well. Do to the increased earthquake activity here in So Cal, I've made the executive decision to finally quake proof my mugs. The earthquake wax I used at the old house left a nasty residue on my sold teak danish modern shelving unit. If you're into such furnishings, you'll know how pissed off I was. The mug collection now resides on a solid mahogany unit and I don't want to go through another cleaning ritual when I decide to move again. Any suggestions on a good product?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 16, 2005 9:20 PM

I have seen this rubber matting stuff that is non slip. I think my brother got some from Ikea. No idea what its is called. Had a woven look to it and was kinda spongy. I will ask him for more details when i see him tonight.

There is a product called Blue Tack. It does go by other names, but basically it is a blue gum like substance. It won't leave any stains. I think it also goes by a name that refers to it as something like poster tack.

True museum grade earthquake wax shouldn't leave any residue. As it is "museum grade".
I'll see if I can rustle up the name of the stuff we use at work.

OR... you could do the thing they did at the Getty where all the statues are on a base that has sealed ball bearings in it. So when an eartquake hits, the staues stay in place while the room moves around it.

And remember, there is no such thing as "earthquake proof". Only earthquake resistant.

I truly hope there isn't a big quake soon, as my victorian china cabinet with all of my mugs earthquake waxed on it will just tip over, and boom there go my mugs.

Put 'em in a lifeboat, just in case we fall into the sea.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Jun 17, 2005 6:06 AM

You could send all you mugs to me, I guarantee no earthquakes here in Florida! Hurricanes yes...but at least we get some notice...

But really, I am glad you posted this question, I have two big dogs and have been looking for ways to secure my mugs from the iminent bumps. I was thinking about thin bamboo railing, but wax or putty seems less invasive.

T

I think that poster tack stuff does leave something. I know if you use it on posters without plastic over, it will leave a greasy stain as the tack drys some and the paper soaks it up.
There is a post about EQs somewhere but does anyone have a good story about there mugs.

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-06-17 08:38 ]

R

Although it can be seen when looked at closely, clear fishing line strung about halfway up the mug will also prevent mugs from tumbling in a rumbler.

One nice thing about this technique is that the mugs can be easily removed and replaced to hold, use, or clean.

I was working on a magnet idea- a magnet attached to the shelf and one puttied to the underside of the mug. That way you could still pick them up easily. Worked with some mugs but not with others- some have concave bottoms and some don't. With concave bottoms, you could use steel ball bearings inside the mug that would attach to the shelf magnet- depending on how stong it is. You can get these really small, extremely strong magnets on ebay. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I live in northern California, and we're due for a shaker soon!

The blue tack does indeed stain, it leaves a greasy mark and sometime will pull paint off. Try the museum putty, we just found some when cleaning out some boxes of junk, and I gave it to mr. P to secure the mugs in case of toddler mishap, down the road.

On 2005-06-16 23:25, TikiGardener wrote:
I truly hope there isn't a big quake soon, as my victorian china cabinet with all of my mugs earthquake waxed on it will just tip over, and boom there go my mugs.

Or as a result of a drunken pal grabbing it to help stand up....the horror...the horror....

Now how does one stabilise a cabinet without drilling holes/screwing screws in it?

Trader Woody

Well you could ratchet strap it to the wall, but that would be unsightly.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:28 ]

Howdy.. Northern Calif here. About 8 - 10 months ago, I attached all my
special mugs to their shelves using Museum putty. I have dusted many times
since then, and they pry up easily, and stick down without too much fuss.
And no residue! I bought a couple envelopes of it at my local Linen N' Things
or Bed Bath & Beyond (can't remember which shop). I highly recommend this
stuff too!

-Myke

MN

ARRRRRRGH! You scurvy zombie pirate dogs didn't jump ship this time!!!!

Fool me once, er, twic...mmmmm, OK three times in three months but, never again!!

LT

Bad mug weather these days! A good time to double-check the museum wax.

one of the good things here in Switzerland is that we have (almost) no earthquakes.
thanks god :)

J

I have a friend who puts velcro on the bottom of his mugs and sticks them to his shelves. But idk how good an idea of this it actually is, cause I don't know if the velcro would come off the mug if you decided to sell it or something. If not, I assume that it would depreciate the value. But IDK, just food for thought.

On 2010-07-07 18:22, LOL Tiki wrote:
Bad mug weather these days! A good time to double-check the museum wax.

Museum wax doesn't hold up very well when the temperatures start rising. Mine has melted to the point of looking like Vaseline on some of my mugs and they easily came off the bookshelf I was dusting this week. Of course with all of the termite damage to my apartment building I think saving my mugs will be the last thing on my mind when a big earthquake hits.
The museum wax hasn't left any stains on the wood, but I would test it on an inconspicuous location if you have nice furniture.

I secured all of my display cases to the wall. Same with my rum shelf. Bolted them all tightly to the wall so that they don't even wiggle when you bump them. I guess anchored to the wall is the best description.

I also have some mugs on the top of my wall. For those I laid a rope in front of them about half way, in the middle if the mug. This should prevent them from crashing to the floor at least.

I do think it is important though and it was the first thing that I thought about when I set up my cases. No one wants their one of a kind mug crashing to its demise.

Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but recently, I wanted something else to help protect my mugs from earthquake damage other than bolting my shelves to the walls. I've started buying these and putting them under the mugs in the front of my shelves, and they seem to hold and stay held to the shelf. They can be washed, reused and moved, they come in different sizes and shapes, and in clear or black. (I now realize this sounds like an advertisement. It's not.) Wondering if anyone else has tried or has any thoughts, but from what I can tell (at least so far), these are great as an extra precaution/peace of mind for possible looming SoCal earthquakes.

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2017-05-12 09:31 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies