Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

One tiki night in Los Angeles...where to go?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'll be in the LA area in early August and am picking my must-see's. Oceanic Arts is already on my list. I'd like to see at least one tiki bar and am wondering which place the locals would recommend, as far as classic tiki decor and visual appeal. I think the last time I saw this sort of question raised, the winner was Tiki Ti. Thanks!

H

Tiki Ti rules!

If you only have one day, I'd suggest first going to Oceanic Arts, then dinner at the Bahooka, then go to Tiki-Ti for the rest of the evening.

Tiki-Ti is great, but they don't serve food and it's a very small place.

Bahooka has lots of areas to explore, with an eclectic mix of tikis, witco, puffer fish lights, aquariums, and other tropical stuff. Let us know what day you're in town, and we'll try to meet you there.

R

On 2005-06-17 07:31, ookoo lady wrote:
If you only have one day, I'd suggest first going to Oceanic Arts, then dinner at the Bahooka, then go to Tiki-Ti for the rest of the evening.

I agree completely. However, depending on what day your "one day" is; Tiki-Ti may be closed. They are only open Wednesday-Saturday evenings.

Also, If you want to be down by the beach; Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach (Orange County) is a clear favorite with excellent seafood dinner specials each night.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jun 17, 2005 9:21 AM

I say the lucky tiki since you have already seen the tiki ti..

If I could do only ONE tiki bar in the City of the Angels - it would be Tiki Ti hands-down - just for the experience and the quality of the drinks. But Riptide is right - watch their website calendar - as well as only being open Wed. - Sat. - they also close for three weeks at a time for vacation (August is not up yet - I checked)

Seconcd choice: Lucky Tiki. Third: Purple Orchid. For food - I'd do Bahooka.

S

How 'bout

1. Oceanic Arts,

2. late lunch at Bahooka,

3. Cocktails at Tiki Ti (6-ish),

4. Dinner at Damon's (Glendale 8-ish)

5. and after dinner drinks at The Lucky Tiki.

I like Spy-Tiki's itinerary, but while traveling to Lucky Tiki, you should also stop off at the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood.

I can't believe I didn't think to ask this before, but are there any exclusive tiki mugs available in LA establishments? Whew!...I almost neglected the materialist in me.

The Purple Orchid in El Segundo has a -well a purple orchid-ish mug that's exclusive to their establishment. I'm not sure about the other places. Well, Trader Vic still has the coconut mugs, but that's a given.

-Joe

The Luck Tiki also has a mug (very similar to one from the Purple Orchid). Photos:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=11975&forum=1&start=75&hilite=Lucky%20Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies