Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anybody from Hayward Ca.?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Because when I ran a search on Tiki Gardens just to see whats out there lately, I came across this

Tiki Gardens Apartments
20 Harder Road
Hayward, CA 94544

I would love to know if there is an actual tiki apartment complex bearing this name. Or when it was built.

Even though it is of no relation to the Tiki Gardens in Florida, it piques my interest.

TG

I pass nearby that area weekly. On a day when I have some free time before the drive home, and my camera, I'll go see how tiki those apartments are.

Adventure awaits!

T

I went to check it out to check it out and when I got there I couldn't believe my eyes!

Nothing. No tikis. Just a nondescript boxy ugly apartment building.

Then I had a sense of deja vu. You see, somtime in the 90s I searched for all places in the Bay Area with anything remotely tiki or polynesian in their names. I checked this one out then and vaguely remember going inside the gate to discover nothing remotely tiki.

Sorry TG. Almost got my hopes up too. There were 2 tikis somwhere nearby in Fremont that I took pictures of a long time ago. I'll have to dig up the pictures.

I did get a chance to take a few pictures of old signs today, and I discovered an old roadside cafe called The Fifth Wheel. I took these with 35mm film so I can't post them yet.

I've always wondered how you could have an apartment complex with a polynesian or hawaiian name, or even worse, with the word "tiki" in it, and not have any tiki whatsoever?

Then at the opposite end of the spectrum are the obviuosly polynesian inspired apartments, with no names, that hint at having had tikis at some point in the past.

Was there a garden? If not it gives a clue to the fact that the owners were just using words to entice potential renters, like when Eric the Red named he ice covered wastes he found Greenland.

On 2005-06-25 18:46, thejab wrote:
I went to check it out to check it out and when I got there I couldn't believe my eyes!

Nothing. No tikis. Just a nondescript boxy ugly apartment building.

I did get a chance to take a few pictures of old signs today, and I discovered an old roadside cafe called The Fifth Wheel. I took these with 35mm film so I can't post them yet.

The Fifth Wheel is a great greasy spoon that up to about a year ago still served their food on vintage Western Tepco plates and platters. Someon must have bought them though, because they are all gone!

T

On 2005-06-27 10:45, mrsmiley wrote:
The Fifth Wheel is a great greasy spoon that up to about a year ago still served their food on vintage Western Tepco plates and platters. Someon must have bought them though, because they are all gone!

And you never told me about it?!

On 2005-06-27 10:53, thejab wrote:

On 2005-06-27 10:45, mrsmiley wrote:

And you never told me about it?!

I told Robin and you....but no one ever listens to me!!! sniff!!

Pages: 1 7 replies