Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

pablus' bilge blob blog

Pages: 1 35 replies

P

Relating to the Tiki Events thread in which I bemoan my state of blob-hood and cancel my trip to CA;

I thought this would be a good place to keep track of my progress toward perfect health.

Sunday - June 19th...
Threw a party at the Lagoon Lounge.
The food was spectacular and so were the drinks I HEAR! Yes, that's right - as we made the Scorpions and Hawaii Kai Treasure, I also bastardized a version of the Maui Sunrise (non-alcoholic) and drank it from a beautiful cored out pineapple my Amber Love Goddess made for me.

A great time for everyone and I was pretty astonished at my resolve, which almost caved at the end of the night when I just sipped a straw full of the "Treasure" and a straw full of "Scorpion." Then I finished my water.

I actually lost 2 pounds... making the total since Cinco de Mayo - 37.

I'd rather down a barrell of Zombies but that's what got me here in the first place...sooo...

I hope I can look back on this thread one day and laud my success over some fresh Mai Tais or Navy Grogs or Test Pilots.

Or I may look back on it and wish I had stayed on course.

Either way - I thought it would be a good idea to keep my focus up since I visit here everyday.

Hope you will indulge me this little corner of the forum and thanks for all your well-wishes, advice and warm thoughts in the Events thread. I really mean that or my name isn't Ocean Tiki.

:wink:

Pabless,

I'll be your number 1 cheerleaderhosen. You can do it! Give me a P, give me a U, give me a ... what was I saying?

Pabby-

Screw the booze and just start slammin' dope!!!

P

WIthout mentioning any specifics, I have had to quit EVERYTHING, including coffee.

My doc knows all about my...errrr...pastimes and said "for a while", until I get my BP under control - everything must go.

It's OK - I'll get in surf-shape and get you liver-pirates to teach me how to surf. (Once I was a pretty good slalom water-skier.)

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-06-21 05:26 ]

T

We're all rootin' for you Pablus. You see we want you around for a long time!

I feel for you. I had to give up tropical drinks and beer (though not all alkeehol) for a while to stop my chronic heartburn and reduce my beer belly so my clothes would fit again. It took about a year but it worked.

The best of luck to you my friend! I want to see you at my first Hukilau later this year.

Holy shit it's like asking the Pope to quit praying!

Take care of the vessel my brutha, it's all we really have.

If you need a stunt drinker I'm not your man! I can probably cover about an 8th of it but I'm going to have to put together a group to cover the rest.

Seriously take care.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2005 2:40 PM

Thanks Floundy,

48 pounds gone as of this morning.
And I'm still a hog scow.

I did have some terrific German beer at Schnitzelhaus on Friday night. But only 1 mass and one normal one.

When I'm at the breakfast table munching the FlaxPlus cereal with blueberries and soymilk... I gaze over at the half full bottle of Pampero and the full bottle of Plantation and wonder.

But I have a goal in mind for liquor consumption and it's not going to be for a few months still.

BP is averaging 135/72.

Working on the Crazed Mugs CD this week.
Finished the mix and mastering of the Haole Kats new one last week.

Feelin' fine.

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2005 4:40 PM

Pablus,
Great news buddy, good work. Hey, I heard your CD at Ona tikis party last week, sounded great, heard my name mentioned. We'll see you in California soon enough.
Mahalo,
Al
(shelley and I changed our names)

P

50 pounds and holding.
I gained a few back and took it off quickly.
Then did that again.
And again.
So I'm holding here for 2 months and have just begun to ride my beloved bicycle again. Man, I forgot how much I loved that thing. And just in time for gas to be 11 dollars a gallon.

I do imbibe but not much and only on special occasions.
Like "night." Or "day."

Reprogramming the neural net takes some time but I'm commited to being healthy.

BP is great and I have taken the medicine down to a quarter of what I was originally taking. 20mg down to 5mg of Benicar.

Just sayin' is all.

That's fantastic to hear. I want you to be as healthy as you can be, but I also want there to be plenty of you to hug when I get to Hukilau! I'm selfish that way.

Keep on keepin' on.

Best thread name ever, Pablus :wink:

(now say it ten times fast)

Congratulations to you on your awesome progress!!!

Belieeeeve me, I know how difficult that is. Ugh.

xo tikivixen

Okay, Pablus... We're rootin' you on and ready for your California arrival. We'll take you out for a night on the town! We Californians can show you a real good time and get you into some tofu sandwiches on sprouted wheat bread washed down with some wheatgrass juice and some delcious Tofutti for dessert. Yummmmmeeeeee! Oh, we also have those Trader Vic's restaurants out here, but I doubt you'd be interested. Looking forward to seeing you out here soon.

-Weird Unc

M

Pablus,
Just wanted to drop a word of encouragement because it sounds like you deserve it. Keep up the good work, and Godspeed to the next mai tai when the time is right.

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 8:52 PM

And here's from the Tampa ohana that still have yet to see you...lol...

Here's to another Labor Day weekend completely farked by doing chores and housework..damn an apartment looks good right about now, except for the house down the street selling for about twice what a reasonable person would pay! I am rambling again...too many Mai Tai's this evening...boy Lemon Hart is good.

Anyway, good luck with the BP! Hope all is well soon and we can share a Mai Tai or 5...hahaha.
Ok gotta sleep now, work tomorrow you know, plus I gotta charge the wife's ipod...
:drink:

http://www.tikihappy.net

[ Edited by: Jawa 2005-09-06 06:52 ]

P

Well - I finally broke the 50 lbs mark.
52 pounds as of yesterday.

Man - it's starting to get tough to shed them now.
I actually have to move around and stuff.
I thought if I typed faster it would help - but it doesn't.

2 things:
I'm am a fish-a-holic now. I can't get enough of it.

Also, went off the BP meds 2 weeks ago and the BP actually came down a bit. Prolly the excercise and all that. Well, that and the tee-totaling.

The bad moments are getting shorter and farther apart and the good feelings are getting more intense and lasting for days now. I was in pretty bad shape... no - real bad.

Thanks for all the good mana and aloha and for allowing this to continue, because I sort of HAVE to continue now that I've got this stupid blog going.

Bikes are great.
I actually can make it to the studio now in under 10 minutes and it takes me that long to drive, usually.

I've been so dumb... but now I'm...uhhh...lesser... dumb-ly...ized.

H

Man, I am so looking forward to giving you the LOVE in person. I know this is an everyday-challenging endeavor, but I also know you enough to know you have it in you, in spades. So again -- big LOVE coming your way. In roughly 6 days or so.
Congrats, you not-heart-attack-candidate sum'bit.

J

Yay Pablus!
Keep up the faith, brother! We're cheering you on from the four corners of TC!
See ya in a few days at the Hukilau.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 7:18 AM

It's good that you have given up on this notion of becoming a Brudda Iz impersonator. I mean, he died! Just work on the tunes and we'll love you for who you are... And we need you around for a long long time.

P

61 pounds gone now.
I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale after having been traveling for so long.

I actually had a few Navy Grogs and a few other drinks at Trader Vics London the other night.
Plus when I returned I went to Roy's and ate up... including dessert.
So it might have been more had I not indulged over the previous 4 days.

Also - I've swam in 3 different oceans in the past 60 days.
Being in Hawai'i was very physically invigorating. Lots of hiking and swimming.
It was nice to be able to do those things at a level far more strenuous than I could have at my "other" weight.
Also the travel included several days of lots of walking and carrying and sweating and long treks through airports.

Can't stop now. It's just getting interesting.
Threw away a lot of clothing recently.
Still haven't learned to surf and that sucks.

I'll hit here again when I get to 75 lost.
That's when the swimsuit modeling offers should start pouring in. :wink:

On 2005-12-13 14:05, pablus wrote:

Can't stop now. It's just getting interesting.
Threw away a lot of clothing recently.
Still haven't learned to surf and that sucks.
:wink:

Stay with it Budda P !

Did you not go and meet our friend Mad Dog on Oahu?? Did he not get you up on a board? ( or did he look at you and say, No way brudda. Da pig roast is down da street!)

Keep at it!! Go go go!!

Maybe we sould place a bet. You drop more pounds and I'll quit smoking!!! Deal?? Let's say 20lbs. I'm up to 2+ packs a day. Wadda ya say?

We can save each others lives!!!

P

Wow, quittting cigs is tough.
I was able to just scale back and scale back until I just didn't smoke anymore.
The occasional bar-smoke once a month and maybe a few days where I smoke 10 cigarettes and then nothing again for 3 weeks.

Most can't do that.

It's got to be all or nothing.

I don't know anyone that has successfully gone from smoking a lot to nothing.
I think scaling back is the best from my observations.

Let me research it for a few days and you do the same.
We'll come up with some kind of a contest for sure and I'll kick your ass.

btw, I never got to see your friend, Mad Dog - Waikiki was a zoo that week - so I stayed on Kaimana beach. That one long break on Waikiki was always full of surfers. I may have killed someone there had I tried to surf it.

..."pig roast" indeed. I'll get you for that, smokey.

Aloha,
piggy

Sorry Pablus didn't mean to make you stray.

But inspirational blog. Inspired my wahine and I to make the New Years Resolution to loose our excess weight and get fit. So only another 19 days of excess.

Keep up the good work man.

T

Try the nicotene patch Ben (when you're ready). After 10 years at 1-2 packs a day, and several unsuccessful cold turkey attempts it worked for me. Cig free since 1994!

Congrats Pablus! When you've lost 75 lbs. I'll fly to Tampa and eat a 75 ounce steak at Bern's! :wink:

On 2005-12-14 13:34, thejab wrote:
Try the nicotene patch Ben (when you're ready). After 10 years at 1-2 packs a day, and several unsuccessful cold turkey attempts it worked for me.

http://members.aol.com/matt999h/fag.htm

Pablus, your progress is inspirational.
You have amazing will power, which I wish could be bottled and shared with many more people.

Here's to a healthy Paul, free from the shackles of self inflicted whale jokes and a former size. Cheers!

:drink:

T

Pablus, how ya' doing on this one? I'm one of the "silent ones" who was impressed and inspired by your candor and resolve regarding this (now very much "all-American") challenge. No, I'm not pressing for the latest statistics (for fear that someone will ask for mine!), but just a general shoutout as to how this struggle is going. And a salute to you for initiating the discussion.

P.S.: On subsequent thought, it occurs to me that, the whole topic being a personal matter, one might wish to leave it dormant. In which case, silence will be perceived as golden.

(edited to add P.S.)

[ Edited by: Thomas 2006-04-21 03:08 ]

P

Well, I was going to actually make some real progress before posting again, but in truth it's just that I haven't put any back on or taken any more off.

However, I've not only kept it off but really started a serious toss as exercising... shudder
I bought a Breezer City Bike and have started commuting to work at least 2 days a week and sometimes more.

The Breezer is great. It's got a pannier I bought with it that fits my laptop. So cool.

So I've dropped some inches even though I'm basically the same weight.

I'm glad I've gotten my stamina to a level it hasn't been in years because I'm in Paris right now and the city is a fat man's nightmare. You gotta walk everywhere. When you get a taxi, they make you push it halfway to your destination.

I doubt all the walking will do much for me here though because of the fois gras and vin.

Somehow, I blame virani.

T

Well, as a brief, unsolicited 2 cents, let me wonder out loud if successfully maintaining a significantly lower level for an extended period of time isn't in fact a kind of "progress" in itself.

Like the chart analysts on CNBC say about stocks, "it's consolidating recent gains, and after spending a while in this new trading range we expect the favorable trend to resume in due time."

Best wishes on this.

I like to beleive that good things happen to good people.

you are good people pablus...

Keep working toward your goal. Although a physical change is inevitably what you are after, the biggest goal should just be getting out and about and exercizing regularly regardless of the result.

Ukulelecize!! Play that uke, jump up and down, strum it fast and swing it around. Go pablus Go!!

Chongolio

Hey Pablus...I haven't met you (I think) and I'm not privy to your full story, but just wanted to say AWESOME!
I lost about 100 lbs and had to cut waaaay back on my drinking. Not easy!! but I started blacking out and have actually lost a substantial amount of memory, along with the weight. Not good. I have the worst long and short term memory now; so much so I can legally claim it as a disability! But my health is great: low BP, Chol, etc... and a lot more energy. I try to just drink socially now... and keep it metered. Only diet tonic water w/ Torani Lime syrup (sugar free) and tequila. And 2 per evening/event (blew it at Oasis!).
Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know I feel for ya! And I'm rootin for ya!

P

Thanks all,

But I gained it all back by drinking 112 Navy Grogs at London Trader Vics in one night.
Kon Hemsby kept pushing me.

...nah, I escaped Paris and London unscathed and actually lost a few pounds.
(Samuel Smith Bitters is the best beer I've ever had - which is a lot of them around this great globe of ours.)

Doing well and am dropping at a steady pace.

Closing in on 75.

When that landmark (lardmark?) happens, thejab is supposed to fly over here and get a chateaubriand at Bern's Steakhouse with me.

Jab, old bean, I happen to know several of the waiters there and we'll get excellent service and choice cuts.
Maybe you can stop by on the way to Hukilau 2006.
I'm should have easily hit it by then.

Congratulations Hau 'oli Tiki! That's quite a feat.
I'm sure I'll see you in California.

On 2006-05-31 06:12, pablus wrote:
I'm sure I'll see you in California.

When?

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 2:14 PM

Well, I'm going to try to make it out there for Ona Tiki's party but can't commit just yet.
Trying to line a few things up out there so I can stick around for more than 3 days.

Hey Pablus, sounds like you're doing it right! A lot of people tourture themselves to loose weight fast but then yo-yo when they can't keep it up. Slow and steady wins the race. Take care!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-06-07 21:07 ]

Pages: 1 35 replies