Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Antique Road Show's Insider

Pages: 1 3 replies

P

I tried a search on this and found nothing so I thought I would post it.

My mother just came back from the Antique Road Show here in Tampa.
(No, her stuff didn't have hidden worth)

She handed me a mag called "Insider" and it's got a page dedicated to Tiki.

Otto is quoted.
Duke is quoted.
Hanford's site is pimped as well as the books we all know and love.

To my dismay, it had a bunch of those ugly Tiki Bob mugs in the center photo.
Man, I hate those things.

Also a pic of Tiki Quest and a Don the Beachcomber matchbook.

Oh boy... just like skyrocketing gas prices...
Vintage tiki will be going up...

Not because people want it, but because someone told them it was worth big money...

Kinda hurts those of us who are passionate about the stuff and not just out for a quick buck.

(Hope all is well with you Pablus... look forward to seeing you at Hukilau again this year!)

you know its kinda funny you say that lake. every time i go to an antique shop in stockton and ask for items from the the stockton islander they say to me:

"you know if you have the menu from there its worth $400 bucks!"

first of all there is NO ONE in stockton who will pay that much for it. not to mention that there are only 4 or 5 people on ebay who are willing to go that high. they(the dealers) are relying one some jackass that told them they saw it go for that on e-bay or they are watching auctions on e-bay on their own. either way that does not dictate a "local" value in my opinion.

sorry for my rant. i have just been hearing that quote way too much lately!

P

Thanks braddah - I'm as happy as a Tiki Bob.
Though not yet as slender.
I've got a thread in Bilge that will follow my morph into an ephemeral waif of my former self.

I watched a Braddah Iz DVD the other night and they had some interview clips of him talking about his health and he was blowing it off and saying it wasn't so bad and he just needed more oxygen and all that. That's a shame really - I wish that some of his advisors and friends would have done what mine have done for me and push him a bit. Not saying I couldn't keel over today from my excesses but my local folk and www.ohana have been key to me taking my health seriously.

Israel could still be crafting those incredible songs with that wind-like voice of his. (maudlin speech - off)

Hope you're catching some real waves out there on the lake, surfer.

Pages: 1 3 replies