Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Save Hala Kahiki from Condo madness

Pages: 1 35 replies

D

River Grove is going Condo crazy and buying up a bunch of houses to build hideous condo's and build yuppy stores. It seems the Village of River Grove thinks that it can be made into the next Lincoln Park. I'm sorry the closest thing to Lincoln park that River Grove is because of the proximity to Oak Park. Anyway, my parents neighbor happens to be part of the local goverment and she was almost salivating when she found out that Rose passed away. I might just be jumping the gun on this one, but since the recent 'eminent domain' issue in the government and the out of control tear downs in River Grove I'm just worried that we might lose out on a part of history that people just don't get. If anyone has any ideas of ways to keep the government out of Hala Kahiki please let me know. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep it from turning into Condo's.

that would truly suck.

Anyway, my parents neighbor happens to be part of the local goverment and she was almost salivating when she found out that Rose passed away.

I'm at a loss for words...

I can't believe someone would think of doing it... then again look at what happened in Columbus...

And city governments will leave up other rat infested shacks saying that they are "Historical Landmarks"

If Hala Kahiki isn't a "Historical Landmark" I don't know what is...

I sure hope that doesn't happen.Was just there on Saturday night with Gigantalope and his delightful wife,Deb.We had such a terrific time that to even THINK about losing this wonderful landmark would be an abomination.

On 2005-06-28 11:27, Turbogod wrote:
that would truly suck.

retribution

I think it was a horrible decision that the Supreme Court made with regard to the eminent domain issue. First, I think that you can't just take away people's personal property rights like that, but moreover, the justification given for the necessity of eminent domain in cases where the land is not needed for a public purpose is bogus.

Developers couldn't care less about the historic or cultural value of cities.. they only care about lining their pockets full of money. And because they have so much money, resources and influence with local governement, and the average citizen does not, what do you think is going to happen the next time a big developer wants to pave over some poor shmoe's house to make another mini-mall? The way this shold be resolved is in the marketplace. If the land/project is so worthwhile to the developer or the city, then they should pony up the $$$ to adequately compensate the land owner in an amount that will satisfy him. But if he doesn't want to sell, he shouldn't have to. It his property. This is just another example of the little guy getting crapped on by the man!

I was born in Miami Beach and grew up in the South Florida area. I remember back in the early 1980s the South Beach area of Miami Beach was a really blighted area. Its heydway was in the 50's and 60's, but it really started going down hill in the 70's. In the early 80s, developers were trying their damnest to have the art deco hotels that line Ocean Drive on South Beach demolished and paved over so that they could build hi-rise condos, etc. Thank g-d for the Art Deco Preservation Society and other concerned people who recognized the historical and cultural signficance of this area and successfully fought the developers and prevented them from bringing in the wrecking balls. If the developers had their way, the huge economic ressurgence that happened in South Beach would have never taken place and South Florida would not only have lost a part of its history and culture, but it would have also lost a huge amount of the tourism that this area now attracts.

T

There is a condo building going up half a block from Hala Kahiki as we speak.

The Tonga Traders building, which has stood empty for years just a few dozen yards from Hala Kahiki, was half-demolished when I was there last week.

All appears to be going well at HK, business as usual, but if enough cash is thrown at Sonny and Cookie, I can't see them passing up the opportunity to retire early.

I hope I am wrong, though.

W

maybe the HK can be promoted as a major draw for the condo owners? What developer would want to replace such a popular spot w/ the locals?

well, I mean, it's worth a try.......

K

I might just be jumping the gun on this one, but since the recent 'eminent domain' issue in the government and the out of control tear downs in River Grove I'm just worried that we might lose out on a part of history that people just don't get. If anyone has any ideas of ways to keep the government out of Hala Kahiki please let me know. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep it from turning into Condo's.

You're not jumping the gun. Joefla70 is right: the Supreme court justices(!!!?????) who voted in favor of this one have their collective heads so far up their **, they have to take off their pants to eat. That decision is a travesty for everyone who isn't rich enough to buy the power at city hall needed to prevent developers from taking their property. How do the developers do it? Just get the greasy palmed officials on the city council to condemn a desired area "blighted." It doesn't matter whether it is or not -- it just matters that the fing developers want it.

What's the city council's motivation? Tax revenue. Poor folks living in their own, small modest homes in modest neighborhoods don't bring in nearly the tax revenue that those high-rise condos do. Rich neighborhoods have nothing to worry about. Their homes will NEVER be in danger, for obvious reasons.

How do you whittle away a nation's freedoms? It's easy when the population is sleeping in front of the T.V. The problem is it's usually too late when they finally wake up.

OK -- I'm off my soapbox now! This just really pisses me off... :x

Arrrrrrgggggghhh...

N

OK, I'm probably risking offending the Tiki Gods (or Hanford) here, but I'm going to post this anyway. This was authored by a good friend of mine, who also happens to be the head of an organization I belong to. His name is John Carr--Google him if you care. Otherwise, read, and beware.

First they came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Muslim.

Then they came for the immigrants, detaining them indefinitely solely on
the certification of the attorney general, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't an immigrant.

Then they came to eavesdrop on suspects consulting with their attorneys,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a suspect.

Then they came to prosecute non-citizens before secret military
commissions, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a non-citizen.

Then they came to enter homes and offices for unannounced "sneak and
peek" searches, and I didn't speak up because I had nothing to hide.

Then they came to reinstate Cointelpro and resume the infiltration and
surveillance of domestic religious and political groups, and I didn't speak
up because I no longer participated in any groups.

Then they came to arrest American citizens and hold them indefinitely
without any charges and without access to lawyers, and I didn't speak up
because I would never be arrested.

Then they came to institute TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention
System), recruiting citizens to spy on other citizens and I didn't speak up
because I was afraid.

Then they came for anyone who objected to government policy because it
only aided the terrorists and gave ammunition to America's enemies, and I
didn't speak up ... because I didn't speak up.

Then they came for me, and by that time, no one was left to speak up.

Scott

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 7:49 PM

But what has that got to do with the Hala Kahiki?

Bastardized Martin Niemoller?!?!?!

many have done it. Just give original credit where it is due (didn't you ever write term papers?)
Your organization sounds good and very important, but what does it have to do with the thread at hand?

by the way...the google results:
http://www.google.com/search?biw=367&hl=en&q=John+Carr

bummer about the HK. If the Gov ain't behind it all then it has to be aliens. Cue Molder...

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

edit...EEEOOOWWW...took me 30 minutes to do that?!?!

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-06-28 20:46 ]

Would it be remotely possible to move Haka Kahiki like other historical landmarks get moved to better locations that ensure its existance?
Just a thought.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2005-06-28 22:37 ]

On 2005-06-28 12:26, joefla70 wrote:
I think it was a horrible decision that the Supreme Court made with regard to the eminent domain issue. First, I think that you can't just take away people's personal property rights like that, but moreover, the justification given for the necessity of eminent domain in cases where the land is not needed for a public purpose is bogus.

Developers couldn't care less about the historic or cultural value of cities.. they only care about lining their pockets full of money. And because they have so much money, resources and influence with local governement, and the average citizen does not, what do you think is going to happen the next time a big developer wants to pave over some poor shmoe's house to make another mini-mall? The way this shold be resolved is in the marketplace. If the land/project is so worthwhile to the developer or the city, then they should pony up the $$$ to adequately compensate the land owner in an amount that will satisfy him. But if he doesn't want to sell, he shouldn't have to. It his property. This is just another example of the little guy getting crapped on by the man!

I was born in Miami Beach and grew up in the South Florida area. I remember back in the early 1980s the South Beach area of Miami Beach was a really blighted area. Its heydway was in the 50's and 60's, but it really started going down hill in the 70's. In the early 80s, developers were trying their damnest to have the art deco hotels that line Ocean Drive on South Beach demolished and paved over so that they could build hi-rise condos, etc. Thank g-d for the Art Deco Preservation Society and other concerned people who recognized the historical and cultural signficance of this area and successfully fought the developers and prevented them from bringing in the wrecking balls. If the developers had their way, the huge economic ressurgence that happened in South Beach would have never taken place and South Florida would not only have lost a part of its history and culture, but it would have also lost a huge amount of the tourism that this area now attracts.

You should see whats happening to Clearwater Beach. And what they did to Sand Key is a crime. Only the scientologists buying up downtown Clearwater has saved some amazing early 20th century architecture. It is a shame though that the
old Bank of Clearwater building now says "Scientology Library" or some such abomination.

Ybor at least has some of its original buildings. I miss 1960's era Florida. The architecture at least.

N

OK, I admit I was in a bit of a cocktail fog when I posted the above, but I was (obviously rather poorly) trying to add to this discussion. Sorry to go so far off topic.

I was just thinking, since the eminent domain thing came up, and Kanekila made the comment about whittling away freedoms....

anyway, sorry. I'll try to refrain from posting when I'm all Mai-Tai'ed up.

Scott

On 2005-06-28 18:33, Kanekila wrote:
How do you whittle away a nation's freedoms? It's easy when the population is sleeping in front of the T.V. The problem is it's usually too late when they finally wake up.

BR
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.