Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

My short film project! has a '67 Mustang!

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

I have a mate who has recently completed a writing/publishing/film degree at university. He and his mates have made a couple of award winning short films. This has inspired me to have a go.

The film will be based upon my piece of writing "Just Driving" (posted below), which i wrote 'just for'. It was published in Cruzin magazine in Issue 44 (up the back, if anyone looks it up).

It will be filmed in a gritty, black and white style on the local streets at night without official authorisation. My mate will probably do the filming and hopefully I will rope in my neighbours and their '67 mustang. I will be the director/writer etc.

Here's the original piece of writing:

Just Driving

A full moon lit up the streetscape, creating deep shadows in the many crevices along its flanks. The air was sultry and oppressive. There was a slight breeze, wind chimes rang eerily into the gaping sky. The streets were deserted. The only life to be seen were a couple of alley cats. Filthy and with matted fur, they perused the garbage bins in the side alleys for a midnight meal. Startled, they stopped their scrutiny of the trash and looked up the street.

The Ford roared along the quite street, a snarl emitting from the lakes pipes as the blown hemi was given its leash. Dogs howled and the alley cats bolted, a flash of fur into the shadows. The coupe (a ’39 to be exact) slithered past, the satin black duco dimly reflecting the streetlights. It was sleek, being de-chromed with a considerable roof chop and moon discs all round. A dinosaur from a forgotten time, the 426 monster was pushing a good 100mph.

Inside, the driver stared intently ahead. He wasn’t going anywhere, but he wasn’t running either. He was just driving. A lone wolf prowling about just for the hell of it. He wasn’t even thinking on a conscious level, just steering and pushing the pedals with an ingrained intuition. Life was so simple in these moments. No bills. No work. No problems. No bullshit. All that mattered was the sweet noise of the hemi as it reverberated off buildings and fences. This was life in it’s most pure form. Living for the moment and enjoying every damn second. Revelling in the simple act of escaping daily life. A moment when man and machine felt as one.

Within the coupe, the driver smirked. Life was good.

The last paragraph will probably be done with a voice over. Or have cuts with white text on a black screen. Still chucking ideas around in my head.

Just another of the many concepts kicking around my head. I also want to write a piece on the experience of a tiki bar - it will work its way out someday.

What does everyone think?

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2005-07-16 00:37 ]

Hell, I'd watch it.

Sounds like fun. Good luck to you.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach 2005-07-15 07:42 ]

H

The neighbour said they're interested. Will try and post some pics of their mustang when i can

C
c10 posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 6:02 AM

A '67 Mustang was my first car. See if your neighbors know that:

1. The horn button comes off of the steering wheel, and you can push thru a thin layer of foam, revealing a hollow space where you can hide stuff.

2. You can open bottles on the metal bracket in the middle (top of windshield) that the sun visors latch into.

The '67 Mustang has seen a resurgence in popularity lately since the 2005 Mustang GT hit the showrooms. The 2005 restyle takes a lot of design cues from the '67 fastback model that most people associate with the Steve McQueen movie Bullitt (actually a '68). I think we can all agree when I say this Mustang shines brightest in its Shelby GT-500 incarnation. To buy one of those cars now in concours condition would cost me as much as my house.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2005-07-16 23:26 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 8:40 AM

A lot of people also now associate the '67 fastback with "Gone in 60 seconds" (the new one with Nick Cage, not the yellow beast of the original). Apparently demand has skyrocketed, and taken the prices with it.

My neighbours mussy is not a fastback, but has a shelby body kit on it. The colour is dark blue, with a light blue pearl over the top. Very sexy.

They also offered their early '80s Ford Sedan (14 second shopping trolley, with a worked 351), as it pulls nice big burnouts. However, it wouldn't have the same 'presence' as the mussy will.

Keep you posted.

Pages: 1 6 replies