Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Happy HULAween!

Pages: 1 30 replies

Have a safe, sober (at least until the kids are done trick or treating), and fun HULAween!

SugarCaddyDaddy

SugarCaddyDaddy,

True! Safety is a paramount concern for parents. I don't think my parents were as concerned about my safety as a kid. Especially when my mom got me the 'invisable pedestrian' costume that one year (?)

T

Great reference Bong!

When I was young I was "Johnny Space Commander" and after a few minutes of wearing the plastic bag and rubber band on my head I passed out, I think that's why I'm alittle slow today. Well that's what my mom thinks, anyway.

Tiki_Bong wrote:
..Safety is a paramount concern for parents...

Yeah, isn't it too bad Halloween isn't like it used to be when we were kids? Less & less kids seem to come around as the years go on due to safety concerns in what your little ones get in their trick or treat bags.

This is my girls 2nd time out actually walking and saying "Trick or Treat" (she's 3), and until she catches on to me, I'm still going to do the 'ol switcheroo... I let her do her 'trick or treating', then when she gets home I switch her candy bag with a bag of candy I already bought her myself. No hassles, no filtering of suspicious items, just fond and sugar-filled memories for her. Most hospitals offer free x-raying of your goodie bags (yes, they really do!), but who wants to have their kid(s) remembering Halloween along with a trip to the hospital every year?

SugarCaddyDaddy

I'm still going to do the 'ol switcheroo... I let her do her 'trick or treating', then when she gets home I switch her candy bag with a bag of candy I already bought her myself. No hassles, no filtering of suspicious items, just fond and sugar-filled memories for her.

What a great idea! I'm going to have to do that with my kid too. Thanks for the tip!

When I was a kid in the early '70's there was a big concern about getting candy with LSD in it. I never did ... what a rip off!

Try pulling the old switcharoo with a bag filled with tikis. That might make for an interesting childhood memory . I got tricks, I got treats, I even have two smelly feet.

Chongolio

Fortunately, most fears about poisoned Halloween candy are unfounded:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/hallowee.htm

I'm not doing a tiki costume today, but I am wearing the most frightening article of clothing I own -- a t-shirt from Duran Duran's 1984 tour! :lol:

--cyn

Cyn, I think I'd classify that Duran Duran t-shirt as a costume.

PolynesianPop wrote:

H

And stirrup pants? You've got to wear stirrup pants.

Now all you need is some wine coolers and then it is time to Party like its 1999.
Like Totally!

Chongolio

M

Three best costumes I've seen:

1. A couple, he is an electrical plug, she the outlet. When he "plugged" in a light on his head illuminated.

2. A guy with a smal chair on his head, dressed in pink. Get it? he's a piece of gum stuck under a chair.

3. A guy dressed in a Boston Red Sox uniform with a baseball hanging on a string between his legs. He's Bill Buckner!

On a related note, does ayone else laugh at ANY halloween/costume party depicted on TV? I mean, everyone always has intense/complicated $500 costume, as if normal people have access to a wardrobe dept. Just a rant, 'cause that always makes me go, "stupid!".

midnite :evil:

On 2002-10-31 14:56, midnite_tiki wrote:
On a related note, does ayone else laugh at ANY halloween/costume party depicted on TV? I mean, everyone always has intense/complicated $500 costume, as if normal people have access to a wardrobe dept.

i've thought the same thing - i've been to some pretty cool costume parties, but never one where everyone had costumes worth what they show on tv. Even West Hollywood doesn't look that good!

On another related note...
here's a page with a ritual for a Wiccan Halloween - bringing it back to primitive paganism...
http://www.goodwiccan.com/r_samhain.htm#wel_history

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2002-10-31 16:08 ]

Humuhumu wrote:

Yet you kept the Duran Duran shirt.....!

:tiki:

traderpup wrote:

It was my first live show! I was 13! :)

M

Today for work I dressed up as Elvrish-the Irish Elvis . I even wore the outfit on the BART train and plan to wear it back tonight!
Later tonight I will be Mr. OktoberFIST, again!!

ok, now this is a freakin funny post....glad you didn't get smashed by a car, Tiki Bong, in your "invisible suit." And so sorry about the "Hendrix' thing you missed when young....but, made it up somewhere I'm sure.
OOOHHHH, Tiki Mug.....tooooo funny...space commanders are always a difficult thing when made in the kitchen.
HAPPY HULAWEEN......Mahalo!

T

I overheard this priceless conversation at the goodwill the day before yesterday, as a woman with teased and feathered hair held up a pair of stirrup pants:

Woman to friend: "Oh my gawd! I love these pants! I used to have a pair just like these, but they got all ripped in the knees that one time, remember?"

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

C

I read about a guy who dressed as a compost pile for halloween. He had all kinds of stuff like applescores and Banana peels attached to him. He was passing out gummy worms. Pretty funny me thinks.

Chongolio

I wasn't planning on dressing up for Halloween this year b/c I had to work, but at tthe last minute i put on a black suit, skinny black tie, sunglasses, and went as one of the Reservoir Dogs. Needless to say, nobody had any idea who i was supposed to be. The most common response was "Hey, Men In Black!" (cringe). One lady thought I was Ellwood Blues, but i pointed out that I had no hat. She neverthless INSISTED I was Ellwood Blues. One person even thought I was Spider-Man, due to the fact that my tie had a spider painted on it! I wish one person said, "Oh yeah, Mr. Pink," or Vincent Vega, or even Jack Ruby.

On a related note, one of my coworkers came dressed in a straw hat and aloha shirt and was carying a guitar. Guess who? Jimmy Buffett!!! After the crap I've read about Buffett on TC, I had to laugh.

I wasn't planning on dressing up for Halloween this year b/c I had to work, but at tthe last minute i put on a black suit, skinny black tie, sunglasses, and went as one of the Reservoir Dogs. Needless to say, nobody had any idea who i was supposed to be. The most common response was "Hey, Men In Black!" (cringe). One lady thought I was Ellwood Blues, but i pointed out that I had no hat. She neverthless INSISTED I was Ellwood Blues. One person even thought I was Spider-Man, due to the fact that my tie had a spider painted on it! I wish one person said, "Oh yeah, Mr. Pink," or Vincent Vega, or even Jack Ruby.

On a related note, one of my coworkers came dressed in a straw hat and aloha shirt and was carying a guitar. Guess who? Jimmy Buffett!!! After the crap I've read about Buffett on TC, I had to laugh.

I put on a black suit, skinny black tie, sunglasses, and went as one of the Reservoir Dogs. Needless to say, nobody had any idea who i was supposed to be. The most common response was "Hey, Men In Black!" (cringe).

A few years back, my department made this big deal about dressing up for Halloween. They chose the theme of "Kings." As such, people came in various "King" costumes - King Tut, King Kong, Don King, etc. The funny part was when my buddy showed up dressed as The King (Elvis) in the 70's Vegas style with a cape - and someone yelled out "Hey look, it's Evil Kenievel!"

BB

Ahhhhhh. Bong, you are a riot!
Costumes.... Last night my 4 year old Bonzai Blake went as "Crazy Al" coconuts and all! My 7 year old Jack went as Johnny Rotton. A few years back(12) Mrs. Boo and I went to a party and I was a carrot and she was a rabbit! 1st place. 15 years ago, again I won 1st place at a costume contest as a piece of chit!(sp?) A brown trash bag with t.p. and corn glued to it and a big rubber fly on my head! The crowd was yelling, piece of chit! piece of chit! The bee girl(with g-string) lost against the piece of chit! I bought a round for the entire bar with the winnings. Ahh, the good ol days!

On 2002-10-31 16:24, cynfulcynner wrote:
traderpup wrote:

It was my first live show! I was 13! :)

That didn't happen to be at the Forum in Los Angeles, did it? Like, oh m' god, wasn't Nick Rhodes just totally awesome with his silver eyeliner and all. I'm afraid I can relate. Didn't buy a t-shirt, but still got the program. :)

:music:
"I heard you making patterns rhyme like
Some new romantic looking for the TV sound."

vintagegirl wrote:

I couldn't tell, as I was seated in the nosebleed section. I don't think he could hear the girls behind me screaming "NIIIIIIICK!!" all evening, either. :roll:

For the record: Duran Duran is not a boy band. They write their own songs, play their own instruments, and they never completely broke up.

--cindy, now old enough to date these guys

R
rch427 posted on Sat, Nov 2, 2002 8:51 PM

Well, we've finally recovered from Hallowe'en, so I thought I'd give a recap. Kelly & I went as Shag (tm) characters--at least after a fashion--she as the prototypical glamour girl, I as a hybrid of the Slothful Asassin and a beatnik. We had little "Shag" signatures on our fronts. The morbidly curious can take a look at http://hedonia.net/shaggies.jpg . Despite all this, not one person guessed our theme. Hmph! And this in a hip neighborhood in San Francisco! Anyway, after a few cocktails, we staggered over to the Hemlock Lounge to see Project Pimento. If you're in the Bay Area and you haven't seen 'em, catch 'em next Saturday night at Bruno's in the Mission--they're probably the best theremin-based lounge act you'll ever see. Singer Lori Carsillo was made up as a stunning Cat Woman. Anyway, much drinking and frivolity later, we staggered back home and slept for 3 hours until we had to get up and go to an damned estate sale.
Cheers --
Robert

[ Edited by: rch427 on 2002-11-03 22:30 ]

R

Oops! The Project Pimento gig is this Thursday night, not Saturday.
Oh--and the estate sale wasn't mine, it just felt that way.
-- Robert

T

The shag costumes are priceless! I wish I had thought of that... of course no one here would have understood it either, mostly because I spent halloween night with a bunch of 8 year olds.

They were mightily impressed with my lady ninja outfit though.

A
aquarj posted on Sun, Nov 3, 2002 4:05 PM

Here's the pumpkin we carved this year. I know, it turned out sorta like an Alfred E. Neuman rarotonga tiki, what can I say. You don't wanna see the pic of how it looks now though - think something like the last scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2002-11-03 16:06 ]

Pages: 1 30 replies