Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Shaker Alternatives

Pages: 1 27 replies

H

Shakers are beautiful, elegant, and can go a long ways toward setting the tone when mixing drinks for a party.

However, they are a total pain in the ass. They get cold and seize up, they get slippery... I've never been able to get through an evening without having to ask someone to get the sucker open for me, and it's not been unusual for me to see very strong people stuggle mightily with them. Sure, there are all sorts of tricks you can use to get them open without a struggle, but I've not been able to master them.

For years, I used a Boston shaker (half metal, half glass), but they can be hard to open, too (not quite as hard as a traditional shaker), and can be leaky.

Here's what I've started to use:

Rubbermaid Plastic Bottle

It's not fancy, but boy does it do the trick. It's plenty big, and the top opening is wide enough to get ice cubes in just fine. It seals up very well, and the white top cap pops open easily, but only when you want it to. The small spout opening together with the ice cubes act as a perfectly good strainer. Since the bottle is plastic, you can squeeze it and the drink comes out quickly. It has nice grips on the side, and they're super cheap -- I think it only cost me a couple bucks. Hanford & I have a several of them, we we also keep fresh squeezed fruit juice in them.

Anyone else use a non-shaker shaker?

T

I use a metal shaker because metal chills the drink faster, more thoroughly, and more evenly than other materials. For these reasons metal shakers are recommended by several cocktail guides I've read, both old and new. I realize that they chill the hands very efficiently too, but one can hold them with a bar towel, or use the kind that I use that has a metal sleeve that the shaker fits into which acts as an insulator. It's called a dial-a-drink because you can twist the sleeve to view drink recipes. Silly yes, but the best shaker I've found. And I've never had a problem with a stuck lid or cap.

http://www.homewetbar.com/dialadrink-recipe-cocktail-shaker-p-39.html

For prolonged shaking (like to make a proper Ramos fizz) metal is a must.

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-07-01 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-07-01 12:23 ]

H

hmmm... I wonder if I could line the inside with a metal insert, or put some other sort of metal framework inside.

This is the one I use.

"Groggy" shaker from Ikea.

It's cheap but does the job nicely, and the glass part has a rubber rim that seals but releases fairly easily.

The sensations are part of the whole mixing experience for me; the cold of the metal, the clink of the ice, the drips, yes, sometimes there are drips. All part of the territory. :) If you don't come out wet and sticky, what's the point? :wink:

Now what I'd REALLY like to find is something that pours or pumps with accuracy. Like a 1/4oz pump for my syrups. In chrome. THAT would be the cat's ass.

My Ikea groggy broke :(

I probably have about 15 shakers of different materials & styles, but the Ikea cheapo model was my favorite. I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to buy a replacement. Also, a friend once gave me a freebee shaker that came with a drink at T.G.I.McScratchy's (or whereever) and it was one of my faves as well, dispite it's less than swank design.

cheap seems to work much better than high brow for some reason.

-Z

RD

I only have two shakers. One is a swanky antique glass number with drink recipes and oz markings on the side, but I have a real tough time getting the top off (thanks Humu for making me feel less like a whiner). Now I use a metal bottle shaped shaker that I got in a giftie box set from some vodka company whose name I'm forgetting. BUUUUT, in the past I've found that (and please forgive me) a mason jar or even (gasp) a well cleaned spaghetti jar works just fine as a shaker. And talk about cheap!

-Joe

M

Please remember:

Ikea Groggy

and

Iuka Grogg

are two different things!

:wink:

I bought a plastic replica of a proper cocktail shaker at the .99 cent store and figured it would be my "camping" shaker.

But when I got to my favorite spot in the desert and the Flamingos began their lovely do-wop cover of "I Only Have Eyes" I suddenly realized that wherever I was making drinks, I was on holy ground.

When a military priest lays out the implements of the Sacrament on a footlocker in a combat zone, does he do so with haste or with thought of how a particular rite is inconvenient? Of course not! It is by ritual that we pay respect to our humanity -- and invoke the divine that is within us all.

Condemn your aluminum cocktail shaker to the shelf of unused things? Why not burn down your house and run around the neighborhood screaming nonsense?

WTF?

On 2005-07-08 09:51, Satan's Sin wrote:
I bought a plastic replica of a proper cocktail shaker at the .99 cent store and figured it would be my "camping" shaker.

But when I got to my favorite spot in the desert and the Flamingos began their lovely do-wop cover of "I Only Have Eyes" I suddenly realized that wherever I was making drinks, I was on holy ground.

When a military priest lays out the implements of the Sacrament on a footlocker in a combat zone, does he do so with haste or with thought of how a particular rite is inconvenient? Of course not! It is by ritual that we pay respect to our humanity -- and invoke the divine that is within us all.

Condemn your aluminum cocktail shaker to the shelf of unused things? Why not burn down your house and run around the neighborhood screaming nonsense?

so you're the one who e-mails me with nonsensical crud! shame on you!

Tikiwahine, whenever you will so kindly please cable unto me the sum of US$5000 for processing fees we will at last be able to forward unto you the fortune of my late ancestor which we have agreed you will be the executor of and as such will be able to claim a management fee of US$10,000,000 before rendering the balance to your humble friend here in Gabon. Bless you.

No thank you, I already have a penguin.

So what you're trying to say, Satin's Sin, is that plastic shakers aren't the greatest?

Lemme know if I'm close.

H

By all means, if you a) are strong enough to open metal shakers with no problem, or b) own one that for whatever magical reason doesn't stick, more power to you, and keep doing what you're doing.

For me, the most gorgeous, perfect shaker doesn't do me one whit of good if I can't get my drink out of it.

Tikiwahine, all I'm saying is that mixing a cocktail in a plastic shaker is like having sex with someone you don't love. The baser animal urges may be satisfied, but there is no joy, no grace, no trip to the moon on gossamer wings. Surely you must recognize the simplicity and plainness of this verity.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2005-07-08 12:57 ]

Humuhumu, this is what I've done with my balky shakers:

Put a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on the outside rim of the bottom part of the shaker. Smooth it around the rim with a napkin.

Don't worry; the oil won't get inside the shaker.

Then, when you are finished shaking and the shaker is so cold that your hands can't stand it anymore (just as God designed it!) then twist the top off instead of pulling.

Glad to have helped!

On 2005-07-08 12:45, Humuhumu wrote:
By all means, if you a) are strong enough to open metal shakers with no problem, or b) own one that for whatever magical reason doesn't stick, more power to you, and keep doing what you're doing.

For me, the most gorgeous, perfect shaker doesn't do me one whit of good if I can't get my drink out of it.

Humu, I must admit that I do like your plastic bottle for a shaker, it looks cool and would make much less of a mess.

When I start 'tending in my carpeted living room I will definitely try one of these, else I'll have one heck of a soggy mess on my hands!

Mahalo for the suggestion, much appreciated :)

N
nuKKe posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2005 4:26 PM

2 cents from a newbie:

we bought a fancy metal shaker from a bar/ restaurant supplier, for the simple reason that it looked like it would do a better job than the fancy designer ones we found at the interior-design store. We lived in Jerusalem at the time and those are the only places where we found shakers that seemed somewhat decent. Plus, the one we got was cheaper than the designer-brand one.

When there's a problem opening the lid, we take off the cap and release the pressure and everything's fine.

K.

C
c10 posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 6:11 AM

I have an old aluminum shaker, from the 1934 'Century of Progress'. It has a bunch of recipes on the side, without all the fancy stuff you kids are drinking nowadays. Most call for gin, 'whisky', or rye. I will scan or post them if anyone is interested.

H

On 2005-07-16 19:17, rummaker wrote:
At least you can use an authentic Hawaiian rum, to make the trouble of using the shaker worthwhile; improve your tiki drinks with the best rum on the planet

Unfortunately your SPAM ADS leave a bad taste in my mouth.

H

Hey there -

Some worthwhile talk about shakers is happening here, but seeing as how this is a thread about shaker alternatives, it's kinda muddying the waters.

Traditional shakers definitely deserve at least one thread of their own, probably a few, so I've started one for you guys to talk about shakers and post pictures & tips and what have you:

All the Cool Kids use Shakers

Last night I became aware of the professional way to unstick a frozen-stuck cocktail shaker.

I was mixing drinks at a party and my bar-mate happened to be a professional bartender. My cocktail shaker had become frozen entirely shut and I could not open it to save my life, much less make the next drink.

My bar-mate simply took the shaker firmly in hand and went to the wooden fence (we were in a backyard) and whacked the shaker against one of the fence's 2x4s. A good solid whack.

Came right apart! And no harm to the shaker.

T

Satan's Sin

Well, at least I'm glad my "Mark of the Beast" post was about something important!

I've been using a Blender Bottle (without the whisk ball) ... might be real similar to the Rubbermaid jug OP posted, but the pic is gone now.

I think it works well, but I'm still new so I don't really know any better. :D

On 2016-07-07 08:15, Tiki Drifter wrote:
I think it works well, but I'm still new so I don't really know any better. :D

It may work just fine for you. The advantage to using other ways of shaking/cooling/diluting a cocktail is greater convenience, or more speed, or less parts to wash and keep around.

I currently use a 28oz shaker tin with a pint glass. I'm going to move to a 28oz weighted shaker tin with a smaller 18oz weighted tin as the "cap" instead of the pint glass.

I also have a Waring Professional top-down mixer which is essential when you're making drinks for 3-4 people and only want to mix/"shake" once. Larger volumes of drinks (for more than 2 people) often won't work with a 28oz tin-and-cap shaker unless you're using a Boston shaker.

Hope that helps.

For larger quantities, you can always roll the drink between two 28 oz tins. Doesn't give the action, but definitely works if you are in a hurry.

The Straw Hat Barmen will also often whip out the 60 oz 3-piece shaker when we are working larger events. Like all 3-piece shakers, it's a total pain to work with, but it gets the job done and it provides a really good visual for the crowd.

Tonight's shaker alternative:

Drifter, I just took a class at Polite Provisions and learned a couple things. Two metal cups are often used at bars because the ice will shrink the metal and form an instant seal. Shake with the big glass forward to not throw drinks or metal cups onto your customers.

Anything will work fine as a shaker in a pinch. I've had to use water bottles and other less than desirable devices to get the job done, but I have never been disappointed in the drink they produce.

Pages: 1 27 replies