Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Staining a Black Tiki

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Aloha,

I know staining a Tiki has been discussed 1,000 times here, but I did a search and didn't find my specific answer, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I bought an outdoor Tiki a couple years ago and it was originally stained black. Over the years it has started to crack (which I like), but bits of the palm wood are starting to flake off. I want to restain the Tiki to cover up the flaked off parts and to help preserve it.

From what I have read here, most of you recommend an oil-based stain. Is there a specific type or brand that you recommend? I don't want it to have a glossy finish, but I would like to keep it a deep black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe just point me to an old thread that discusses these specifics.

Mahalo!

B

The tiki I just stained was done with "Cabots" stain. I bought it from a local Ace Hardware store and I really liked it. The stain doesn't really give it a finish, just a color. Sometimes people Just stain a piece of wood and leave it at that. you may get someone to Look at yours to make sure it has no varnish or poly on it over the black stain. You can try just staining it to see how the stain soaks into the wood. If it doesn't, then there is a varnish finish to it. The easiest thing to do is to experiment on it on the back or somewhere not toko obvious with the stain. If you like it then do the whole thing.
Hope this helps.

M

Ben,

I knew you'd come to the rescue. I'll pick up some Cabots this weekend and try it out on the back. I don't think that there is any varnish on it.

Mahaloz for your help!

After failed attempts to find Cabots stain locally, I gave Monkeyman a call. He recommended Miniwax Wood Finish in Ebony. I picked some up at Home Depot and got cracking. The Tiki came out beautifully. The Miniwax soaked into the palmwood right away.

I put on 2 coats (more maximum blackness), then applied some Thompson's Water Seal. This bugger is protected and it still has a natural stained wood look.

Mahalo for all your help Ben & Derek!

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-07-11 12:28 ]

Pics? Glad to hear it turned out for you.

M

Thanks for asking Rodeo.

Before

After

The "after" picture is shortly after I put the Thompson's on it, so there is stiil some gloss to him, but he's rocking and ready for the rest of Summer!

I should give a shout out to the carver Phil Falcon at Tiki Madness in San Diego's South Bay.

Sweet! :D

That came out better than you had described.
Thanks for the pics..

he looks great mach! nice staining job.

I was just thinking about my bathroom ceiling this morning, it's cedar plank and the hubby wants to do SOMETHING with it. Paint on wood in high moisture areas is never a good thing, I've been thinking about a nice silver blue stain myself. Might give it a go soon. Sanding a ceiling isn't something I'm looking forward to though.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-07-11 12:35 ]

Thanks all of you.

After drying overnight, he's still semi-glossy and I actually really like that. Now he looks more like a Tiki you'd see in a Trader Vic's.

Bee-you-tee-full tiki, Mach. He cleaned up real nice.

Sabu

Restoring old tikis could be a topic all unto itself. I'm sure our friend Bongofury would have lots to add on that subject. This one looks brand new! Excellent work Machtiki.

B

Looks Great Machtiki, you did a nice job.

J

Machtiki - I know you probably don't want that old thing cluttering up your yard so please send it to me ASAP and I will dispose of it properly! It is absolutely horrible looking and your stain job did nothing but make it look all the more repugnant... :wink: just kidding except for the sending it to me part.

Pages: 1 13 replies