Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disneyland Visit in November...Question

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hey all,

I am making the trek out to Disneyland in November and I am trying to decide which hotels are OK to stay at in the area.

The Disney hotels are probably OK I am sure, but a little out of the budget range.

I have done a little research on Trip Advisor, and people seem to like Candy Cane Inn.

So I would like to pose the question to you SoCal folks who might be in the know and could steer me in the right direction...which place would you pick?

Thanks for any info!

Ed

I have heavily researched this question. A good decent (fairly cheap) hotel is the Fairfield. I am staying there in September. However, it does not have a theme, but is clean and quiet and inexpensive. I researched all of the theme hotels within walking distance and found too many complaints of poor management, poor cleanliness and noise.

You should however spring for at least one night at the original Disneyland hotel, with a room overlooking the water area in the middle. It is magnificent, and worth the $200/night. Plus, when you are a Disney guest, you get to enter the park an hour early.

H

When I stay down there, I like to stay at the Carousel Inn, the Park Inn, or the Park International, or any of the other hotels that are clustered right there next to each other. They're all directly across the street from the park, a very, very short walk. The rates are quite inexpensive. They're certainly not fancy, but they are quite serviceable.

T

T

Too bad the Golden Forest Inn is long gone....

My family & I always stay at the Tropicanna Inn. It's right across the street from DLand. They recently gutted and remodeled each room. Every room is a suite, complete with microwave & fridge, a family of 6 can co-habit comfortably. I have never had a problem there. They have AAA rates if you're a member too. You walk out your door, cross the street and you're there.

http://www.bei-hotels.com/new_trop_1a.htm

I once stayed at the Best Western Stardust, it was a complete nightmare. First they gave me a key to a room which was occupied. The people in the room were just as shocked as I was when I opened the door. I went back to the office and they issued me another room, no apologies. We tossed our crap in the room, and ran to catch the shuttle. When we got back our luggage and belongings were covered in cockroaches. We threw everything back into the car. I went to the office to complain and the kid working the desk was so busy on level 4 of his video game he made us wait until he hit pause. I was screaming at him at this point. I told him about the first room, the roaches in the second room, that I wanted to leave and I refused to pay. He didn't say a word to me just took my key and said "You'll have to take that up with the manager and he's not here right now."

I wrote Best Western's main office and the Stardust office. All I got was a form letter saying we're sorry you had a bad experience, hope this doesn't effect any future stays at any of our other hotels. I had to go through my credit card to terminate the payment as they charged my card. Not a happy camper :(

T

I stayed at the Candy Cane several years ago. It was a nice enough place, but we had a power outage that lasted about 12 hours, and the staff was truly ill-equiped to handle the crisis. No apologies were offered upon check out.

The Disneyland Hotel is fantastic. Worth every penny.

I've also stayed at the Crystal Inn, Howard Johnson's, the Jolly Roger, the Days Inn, and (most recently while being low on $$) the Super 8. They are all perfectly fine.

H

This might be of interest to you, if you haven't already seen it:

MousePlanet reviews of Diseyland area hotels

Wow so many great responses!

Thanks for all of your input. I am thinking of the DLand hotel, but I liked your choices Humuhumu and the Tropicana sounds great as well!

The power outage sounds pretty bad...as do cockroaches! :)

It never ceases to amaze me how nice everyone on the board is when someone has a question. I will hopefully be able to meet a lot of you next year at my first Oasis!

Thanks again!

TM

On 2005-07-07 11:21, Tangaroa wrote:

Brings back memories. My uncle was the manager of the hotel in the 70's and my dad worked there for years. I used to have the run of the place as a kid. Ah, the good old days....

Don't [I repeat DON'T] stay at the (Disney's)Paradise Pier. It's seriously amazing how far it is from the Front Gate (about a 20 minute walk) and they don't even have a direct shuttle (at least they didn't when we stayed there 2 years ago). When you spend so much time walking around the parks, you don't want to waste precious energy and time getting to/from them, honestly.

As far as location, if you want to be close enough to duck out in the middle of the day (which I cannot recommend enough), when the sun's the hottest and the crowds are the worst, choose a hotel who's address is around the mid 1500s on S. Harbor Boulevard. Like many have said, there are lots and you'll be able to find a good deal.

We like the Park Vue Inn, and have stayed there 5 times in the last three years. Never a bad experience (and you really connot beat how close they are to the Front Gate), but don't pay more than $65/night (I've seen them ask for upwards of $125+, and they do not rate that much, they are 2 stars after all.)

We're going to try Park Inn Anaheim in August, and I'll let you know how that was.

Hope this was helpful. :)

T

Hi Ed--
I've been going to D-land yearly for about 6 yrs now. To be honest, there's a GREAT hotel 5-6 miles away that offers a free shuttle, clean non-smoking rooms, heated pool & spa, great staff, FREE breakfast (Full, NOT continental), and low rates (under $100/day). It is the Country Inn (or Countryside Inn) at Chapman 1 blk. west of I-5. It is walking distance to an excellent outdoor shopping center (The Block at Orange) and 1 mile from the Crystal Cathedral at Garden Grove. I've been staying there since 1999 with Never one problem...there....my secret's out!
Good Luck,

Dave

Pages: 1 11 replies