Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What to do in Singapore?

Pages: 1 9 replies

I'm going to be in Singapore the last two weeks of July. I will have some time off and was wondering ... what are the "must sees?" Any day trips to Malaysia to look at ruins? Does it all really boil down to finding a cheap flight to Bangkok?

Thanks in advance ...

Don't graffiti any walls. If you do, don't make the mistake of writing it in English! I understand those canings hurt!!

TC

Have a Singapore Sling at Raffles (where the drink was invented) and resist the urge to chew gum (it's illegal).

Have fun,
Tiki Chris

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES take advantage of the superb prostitutes available at reasonable prices.

Sabu

On 2005-07-07 17:19, Satan's Sin wrote:
Does it all really boil down to finding a cheap flight to Bangkok?

Thanks in advance ...

Well, it might be worth it in order to visit Trader Vic's in Bangkok, not to mention one of the few Senor Pico's out there.

And along Sabu's lines, you'd must make sure you don't become the filling in a 'Thai Sandwich'....

Trader Woody

T

Trader Vic's bangkok is nice but not worth a special flight...

On 2005-07-07 18:02, Tiki Chris wrote:
Have a Singapore Sling at Raffles (where the drink was invented)

NO DON'T, have one anywhere else in the world because so many people ask for them they make them in batches and then leave them out.

A

you could find an exporter of tiki mugs (and the various related bric-a-brac) and arrange for a couple container loads to be dispersed @ 10% over cost to TCers who'd be interested...

or you could go to the butterfly park!

It's been a few years since I have been to Singapore, but these are my memorable sites and places of interest.

1. Singapore Zoo - I lived in San Diego for 10 years and loved their zoo, but I have to admit, the Singapore Zoo was just as fun.
  2. Jurong Bird Park - Sounds schmultzy, but this was a great outdoors place to see all kinds of birds and just enjoy nature.
  3. Island of Sentosa - Old military bunkers and hiking trails. When I was there, transportation included a cable car suspended above the water to get to the island from the mainland.
  4. Orchard Road - Shopping, shopping, shopping. Check out the electronics. Fun stuff that you can't find in the US.
  5. Raffles Hotel - On the harbor and very historic. Good food and drinks.
  6. Haw Par Villa / Tiger Balm Gardens - Singapore's theme park. I didn't get to visit, but was told I should have and after seeing pictures, I wish I had taken the time.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Myke

May the Tiki be with you, and float the Aloha to all parts of the world!

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2005-07-08 08:57 ]

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2005-07-08 08:58 ]

J

On 2005-07-07 22:53, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES take advantage of the superb prostitutes available at reasonable prices.

Sabu

If you cannot resist the urge to igore Sabu's warning, just beware that many of the "superp prostitutes available at reasonable prices" are, in fact, re-built boys... and its not very easy to tell the difference, especially if you are drunk off your ass from Singapore Slings. Not that I know this from experience... its just something I've been told by friends who have visited there.

[ Edited by: joefla70 2005-07-08 10:36 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies