Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Resin Table Grapes?

Pages: 1 28 replies

Does anyone have any information on the lost art of resin grape manufacturing? There must be some round vintage molds floating around somewhere. I think it's high time to resurrect this hobby

C

I just love those things and was just looking at two grape swag lamps yesterday.

I'm dating myself, but my mom had a set on her living room coffee table. I always thought they were pretty cool.

TM

Love 'em! You can get them at flea markets for a few bucks (usually).

E
eel posted on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 4:37 PM

I've been working with resin for a while now. Those who have attended Oasis have seen my seahorses, mermaids, swordfish, tables, lamps, jewelry, etc.

Some day I'll post pictures...I've been meaning to for a while

If you decide to try the "vintage craft" yourself be aware that the materials are expensive and highly toxic. Even though I have a collection of about 10 vintage DIY resin books, many of the materials needed aren't even made anymore due to their toxicity. There is a book called "Pad" in which there are detailed instructions for creating a set of coasters.

As for grape molds, I have some old stock glass ones however I have yet to use them, they are a one shot deal. I've found that the grapes are plentiful out there and I pick them up whenever I find a good color or good price.

I love doing it and am constantly creating new stuff. I also have a large collection of vintage resin lamps, wall art, furniture, and jewlery. Cheesy fun!

I’m surprised that these things turn up semi regularly in yard and estate sales but I’ve yet to see a mold of one. Like tiki mugs they’re one of those items that can go for either $1 or $50 depending on the seller. Ebay’s a good source but the shipping of an 8 pound item is often more than the purchased price. I’ve seen lamps, bookends, table grapes, and candle holders made out of those crazy grapes and everyone I met seems to have fond memories of them so I thought a revival would be a natural. I’d love to be able to make a cluster of colored tikis on a vine as a homage.

I was going to sell a pair of red grape swag-lamps that I found at a garage sale until I actually plugged them in and saw how beautiful they are. I hung them behind the tiki bar in front of the zebra-skin instead. Here's a photo of Doctor-Z & the grape lamps from last party. He is pointing out the lion-claw scars on the zebra.

Sabu

That's my husband Krustiki in the picture with Dr. Z. It's funny that he would show up in a thread about resin grapes, because I love them and keep buying them, but he can't understand why!

Yes! Love em!

K

Does anyone remember the "clackers" that were made of two big resin grapes attached to both ends of a string? You held the middle of the string and moved your hand up & down real fast so the grapes would swing up and down & hit eachother making a clacking noise. They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

N

When they were the rage in elementary school you couldn't walk ten feet without hearing the rhythm of the clack. As long as you hit them below the ring they were fine but when you got bored with this and put some muscle into them you might painfully hit your face or even chip the resin. I've had this one for a while now and still haven't worked up the courage to go downtown on it.

8T

I love the clackers! We all had them in elementary school.
I still have 2 sets and as for the table grapes, I like the lamps best. I've only bought one (at a yard sale last summer) and as I walked back to my car I could hear the people at the sale all laughing at me. Well, the jokes on them because I got one cool as hell lamp for $1.00

On 2005-08-06 10:29, kctiki wrote:
They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

In the UK we were told they were banned coz the balls could fly up and break bones, that why there known as wrist-breakers.

B

On 2005-08-08 03:52, atomictonytiki wrote:

On 2005-08-06 10:29, kctiki wrote:
They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

In the UK we were told they were banned coz the balls could fly up and break bones, that why there known as wrist-breakers.

Or worse. When I was about 6 my Dad was showing me how they worked, and on my first attempt I nailed him right in the nuts.

Yeah, resin grapes are cool, but I'm working on something that will revolutionize the "resinated fruit craze"....
RESIN RAISINS!!!!!!!

On 2005-08-09 17:39, tikitortured wrote:
Yeah, resin grapes are cool, but I'm working on something that will revolutionize the "resinated fruit craze"....
RESIN RAISINS!!!!!!!

Cue Marvin Gaye...

I too am a lover of the resin or glass grapes, which my parents used to have. Today I do not own any b/c when I see them they are always commanding top dollar at flea markets and yard sales. I just cant pay $10 for a set, that seems to be the average price in my hood.

L
laney posted on Tue, Aug 16, 2005 1:49 PM

believe it or not it would cost a lot more than $10 to make them so if you want some $10 is a good deal. I pick them up for $6-$10 depending on the color and # of grapes

Thanks Laney, I had no idea! I also didnt know, prior to this thread, that the grapes were often homemade. (My grape knowledge was limited to glass and marble ones.)Now I will strike when the proverbial iron is hot at the next yard sale. I cannot wait!!!

[ Edited by: TikiGoddess 2005-08-17 15:14 ]

Resin Grape Central?!

here's my contribution to the thread.. a lighted resin Pineapple Lamp

C

This might be dating me but I remember at my Great Grandmas house that she made butt loads of these grapes. Grape resin lamps and diamond shaped resin lamps. And yes, I think the reason she stopped doing them was the toxicity factor. That must be the reason my grandma (daughter of my great grandma) has dementia. From exposure to grape resin!

We sold them all off years ago (in the late 70's), but my mom still has some and won't give them up!

I also remember resin "teardrops" in avocado and yellow that we had hanging in our entryway as a "curtain".

Check out this sweet plump bundle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acrylic-Glass-Grape-Hanging-Swag-Light-RED-Retro-50s_W0QQitemZ4418567270QQcategoryZ52349QQrdZ1QQcmdZV

[ Edited by: tikitortured 2005-11-20 10:18 ]

Naugatiki,
Having owned a collectibles store for a number of years, I was fortunate enough to accumulate a number of clackers, some used, some still sealed in their plastic bag. Funny how I came across this thread since not too long ago I actually "got the balls" (yes, pun intended) to take out a never-been-used set out to my backyard and have at it...

Of course, realizing that the age of the resin and the force I was looking to put on those bad boys may end up in shattered pieces, I put on a pair of safety glasses, and started to "clack" away. It took a minute or two to get the REAL force and momentum up to get that good 'ol familiar clacking, just like when I was a kid. For about 5 seconds I was in heaven and pretty proud of myself that I was able to get the clackers going really good. About 20 clacks into it, I stopped for a brief moment just to re-adjust my grip and hunkered down to get a good hard clacking action going for my second round. So once again I got the momentum going and then I layed into it....this time the clacking seemed twice as loud and for a brief second or two I went ahead and looked away (still with the safety glasses on) and gave it my all before my arm would give way, then all of a sudden POP, they both shattered. I listened carefully to get a hint of where the pieces went, but I heard no landing of any pieces whatsoever. I scanned my backyard for a few minutes, but found nothing.

It was fun, but I'm not sure if I'll do that again...although I have 4 sets left...haha.

Just my 2 (resin) coconuts worth...

On 2005-11-21 23:03, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
and started to "clack" away. It took a minute or two to get the REAL force and momentum up to get that good 'ol familiar clacking, just like when I was a kid. For about 5 seconds I was in heaven and pretty proud of myself that I was able to get the clackers going really good.

Come on Frank! We all know our clackers lose that 'ol familiar clacking feeling' after 40. :)
I use to clack those damn things all the time when they were popular. Great memories!

Anyone have any leads on where to find the green plastic leaves that accompany most clusters (Most of them go brittle and rot off.)? I just scored as grape swag and it looks naked without them.

T

On 2006-02-11 14:35, naugatiki wrote:
Anyone have any leads on where to find the green plastic leaves that accompany most clusters (Most of them go brittle and rot off.)? I just scored as grape swag and it looks naked without them.

Try a floral or craft supply store. I know I've seen things like that at stores like Michael's, Stats or Joann's. There's usually a couple of aisles with plastic foliage.

M

I listened carefully to get a hint of where the pieces went, but I heard no landing of any pieces whatsoever. I scanned my backyard for a few minutes, but found nothing.

Don't worry, they'll burn up during reentry. :)

On 2005-07-16 15:15, naugatiki wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the lost art of resin grape manufacturing? There must be some round vintage molds floating around somewhere. I think it's high time to resurrect this hobby

Here's a website that gives instructions on making them - they say to just use glass Christmas tree ornaments for molds...

http://www.marlenewatson.com/craft_project_resin_grapes.htm

Pages: 1 28 replies