Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

This Item perplexes me...

Pages: 1 15 replies

...A Mexican beer manufacturer offers a special collector's "Tiki Stein" which features North West Coast (or Haida) Carvings on the handle and Hawaiian Luau pix (or at least beach party images) throughout the body...

Anyone else find this odd?

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2005-07-18 19:05 ]

Yes.

H

Mexican-meets-German-meets-Native American-meets-Polynesian? That's really bizarre. Who designed it, Frankenstein?

Hey! That's a bad pun! I didn't even mean it! I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.

Ya gotta be proud of ones like that, H2.

in 20 yrs they will be bidding hundreds of dollars for it on ebay

M

On 2005-07-19 06:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Who will... Mexican-German-Native Americans from Polynesia?

I too am disturbed by the German and Native North-American influences. But Mexican? Hey, Tiki has always been Mexican. Just look at this old menu.

Sabu

R

I think the designer was drunk.

I like the one world/one culture absurdity of those steins. After all, beer is drunk all over the world so why not have a cosmopolitan stein.

On 2005-07-19 09:35, MachTiki wrote:

On 2005-07-19 06:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Who will... Mexican-German-Native Americans from Polynesia?

Hey you making' fun of my Dad, Senior Franz Running Bear Bunga?!

My deepest apologies Unga. I meant no disrespect. :wink:

I hope this doesn't seem too far fetched. I think heres a chance that at one time the idea or origin of the tiki mug may have come at one time from the the first beer steins of the middle ages.
Weren't the original beer steins originated partially due to the rampant disease and plague prevalent in the areas of the world at that time? The people that could afford it had their own personal lid covered "mug" for their use only. That way they would try and cut the risk of catching something from another.
These "steins or mugs" were then decorated with faces, coat of arms, or designs of their choosing, or maybe each pub placed their own design or markings on it then?
Maybe way later on the tiki bars and restaurants saw these collectible and decorated beer steins and thought of making personalized tiki mugs for their own customers.
I see similarities between the steins and mugs in regards to each being a decorated drinking vessel with faces and designs. hmmmm, now where did the volcano bowls come from?

[ Edited by: tiki rider 2005-07-19 20:09 ]

B

I like your theory; however, I collect both and they look like shite next to each other.

I agree that the german or any european stein and the tiki mug look like crap when displayed together. But tikis and totem poles seem to be close bedfellows. In my slow accumulation of stuff for my tiki bar, I'm keeping an open mind when I find stuff influenced my the native peoples of the PNW. Like these noble swizzles...

Ring of fire, baby! Sorry about the fuzziness. Swizzle photography is an art I haven't the means to master at this time.

Anyway. I'm now fascinated with this bastard mug and believe I must have one.

mahalo,
Joe

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.