Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

lot of 40 mugs for sale

Pages: 1 31 replies

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35713&item=6195651264&rd=1

any takers on what the final tally for this might be?

S

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:07 ]

Interestingly the seller is registered on Ebay.ca (Cananda) but sells from Brattleboro, Vermont. Not wrong just weird.

T

Kohalacharms comes through!

J

Yea way to go Kohalacharms! It's good to see you finally win something after all those tries!

Why is everybody so mean and bitter towards Kohalacharms? I just don't get it.

S

Deep Pocket Envy I think. I know I wish I had the kind of disposable income that they have. myfriend Doris knows KC, and says tey are a great person. KC bought one of my Kings Island mugs. You can bet I was glad they had deep pockets then! All the communication I had was excellent and pleasant.

So if you're reading this KC, if there are any of those mugs that you already have, I'd be willing to give them a home at the Tiki Gardener Home for Donated Tiki Mugs. All donations bring the warm feeling of helpng out a tiki collector less fortunate than others.

And I won't put them on ebay.

TG

Is that sucking up to much?

Deep pocket envy? Possibly. Mug envy...no doubt about it! Man, I would love to see KC's collection!

I looked at that listing and thought about buying them and selling them individually. There are just too many $5 mugs in that lot to make it worth it, and nothing in that lot that i really want. I am sure most of us will be stunned by how much that lot goes for. Make me think about grabbing 40 random mugs from around the house and listing them.........

D

those 3 Mark Thomas Outriggers look wonderful, and it's unlikely you'd ever see all that while shopping in the wild ~ too rich for my budget, but nice to look at!

someone's gonna have a nice instant mostly vintage collection!

B

On 2005-07-22 21:53, Primo Kimo wrote:
sells from Brattleboro, Vermont.

Hmmm, sounds like it might be Matt Maranian, Author of PAD?

S

On 2005-07-23 15:35, dogbytes wrote:

someone's gonna have a nice instant mostly vintage collection!

but that takes the fun out of it... like buying a degree from a shady "college" in the back of a magazine.

-Z

I wasnt poking fun at Kohalacharms, sorry if it sounded like I was!

M

*Why is everybody so mean and bitter towards Kohalacharms? I just don't get it.

Well, he was in cahoots with those Hunt boys back in the 70's, tried to corner the silver market. Certainly didn't make any friends with that move, nor with his role as a major KO stockholder demanding "New Coke" back in '84. I also heard he has co-songwriter credit on Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life". Someone sent me a photo of him clubbing baby Harp seals. So the PETA people just despise the dude, not to mention the baseline animosity from the seal population.

Very mysterious dude. Not quite on par with our own illustrious HL, but a real cloak and dagger type guy nonetheless. I've heard, can't confirm, that he actually lives in Vegas, rents out a whole floor at Circus Circus. The guy as so much money he hires imposters, stand-ins if you will, for major events and appearances. I could have sworn I met Koalacharms at some party. Good-looking fellow.

Plus, I understand he has a huge collection of Jimmy Buffett records. Mostly 8-tracks.

midnite

OK, I just fell out of my chair reading that. I'd love to hear Vince Vaughn rant it out. Too damn Funny!

On 2005-07-23 09:26, Swanky wrote:
Edgeoftexas and danlovestikis are not members, so, somehow they are spared.

Actually, they are members of TC. danlovestikis & kohalacharms have both posted twice. Acording to the members list.

OK I'll take for granted that they could be alt-nics but those three are listed as members.

J

On 2005-07-25 11:13, tikifish wrote:
I wasnt poking fun at Kohalacharms, sorry if it sounded like I was!

I was poking fun at Kohalacharms, I'm sorry if it sounded like I wasn't!" :) Just kidding Kohalacharms you know I love ya!

K
Kono posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 5:05 PM

I was watching this mug and it had a few bids on it. Now it's mysteriously been "lost or broken." I wonder how much it was "lost or broken" for? :-?

Do us all a favor folks, if you're selling something on ebay and you are contacted with an offer to end the auction early, immediately report that information to ebay. Remember, as good at that offer may sound, the buyer is making that offer because he feels that if the auction plays out it will cost him significantly more to purchase that item and thus you the buyer would get more of his money. Let's get rid of the scum.

I'd hate to have a collection of which a significant part was obtained illicitly. I mean, you couldn't show it to anyone right? Though I guess you could have a little secret society of cohorts with which to share your "no questions asked" treasures.

J
JTD posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 7:57 PM

Kono,
Me too! When this happens, I always send the seller an inquiry asking what happened and also tell them I hope they didn't take an early buy offer because the item was really going to go for a lot. On a couple occasions, it has just as magically reappeared.

Yours in GRRR,
JTD

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 7:37 AM

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:06 ]

T

On 2005-08-06 07:37, Swanky wrote:
Wow! What paranoia!

No, not paranoia, we just need people we love to hate! ... :wink:

K
Kono posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 9:29 AM

Hey man, why are you getting all hysterical on me? :)

On 2005-08-06 07:37, Swanky wrote:
I mean, come on! Do you really think people who spend thousands of dollars a month on tiki collecting are looking to side step bidding it out on Ebay for a mug they want?

Yes, because two TCers that I trust have told me that on more than one occasion that a collector who "spends thousands of dollars a month on tiki" has contacted them with offers to end auctions early. Neither of them responded to the collector on any of the occasions but nor did they turn him into ebay.

As far as all of your examples of one person beating another person, I'm sure you realize that there are different levels of excitement or "lust" for these items. No collector is going to go for broke or pull out all the stops for every item. Items that are particularly desirable, however, may elicit more aggressive behavior to obtain the item.

I find it exquisitely ironic that you, as a self professed member or former member of several esoteric secret orders, would start flinging around words like paranoia when someone suggests that there may be a secret club. We just analyze the evidence and make an educated guess. The evidence is that there was a suggestion that a group form to share collections that would be "without the scrutiny that's typically found on the TC forums" and would consist of "like-minded people who will not be critical or judgmental of how much a particular item was purchased for" and, of course, the member must "must promise to keep everything on the forums confidential." The other evidence is that TCers have told me that they have personally witnessed the offer to end auctions early. Examining the evidence and making an educated guess is all we can do with you secrecy cats. :wink:

JTD, that's a good idea to contact the seller and let him or her know that the item would've gone for big money. I see on midnite's thread that she did contact the seller and the official story is that the mug is broken (but would the seller say otherwise?). Oddly enough, midnite, Sven and Rum Numb Davey all concluded that the auction was ended due to a side offer yet they were not accused of paranoia. Jeez...to be singled out like that kind of makes a guy feel a little, well, paranoid. :lol:

T

Kono, I totally agree (of course) since I'm one of those people who have had KC make offers to me to end auctions early. BTW, that's the first time I've seen the Lanai signature mug for sale on ebay- glad I already have one :wink:

And about a secret society....what?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13520&forum=5

:D

S

H

On 2005-08-06 11:42, Swanky wrote:
You know, on Ooma-Gooma, you can hide your collection from view I believe.

I just want to clarify real quick -- on Ooga-Mooga you can keep mugs in your own collection private. Your own collection is nobody's business but your own. However, if it's private, it's private -- there's no way to let others see those mugs, short of handing out your Ooga-Mooga password to other people, which would violate the Ooga-Mooga terms of service. If you want to share your collection with anyone via Ooga-Mooga, you have to share it with everyone.

It's splitting hairs really, and beside the point of your discussion here, I just didn't want there to be any confusion about how Ooga-Mooga works.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 7:26 PM

Swanky,
I don't ascribe the pre-emptive deals to anyone in particular, and I don't care to know who they are. It's not paranoia though, as I often see items where the seller has posted the questions asked of them and the most frequent question is "Would you care to end the auction early for $xxx?". I just find it extremely annoying that some folks aren't playing by the rules.

-JTD

Edit: Whether there were shenanigans or not (and I think probably not), seller has responded.....

"I noticed another tiny chip or flea bite nick on the rim... so ended the listing. I did not know that it was worth anything at all. How much do you think it would have sold for? Just curious. Thanks!! Let me know... I may relist."

[ Edited by: JTD 2005-08-06 19:40 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 7:55 PM

Oh Swanky, I just again read my post up above there and I don't think that I was all that mean-spirited. In fact, I think I was damn tactful! :D I didn't name names and if everyone knew who I was talking about then it's because where there's smoke...

You guys ever get that forum up and running?

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2005 9:14 AM

T

Ok Swanky, explain this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6199358074&fromMakeTrack=true

So the seller magically mended the broken mug? :wink:

I bet KC is bummed :D

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2005 8:18 PM

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:05 ]

Pages: 1 31 replies