Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Newly discovered tiki bar or abuse of the name of tiki? You decide!

Pages: 1 27 replies

J

Wow! I can't believe I found an undiscovered tiki bar right near Baltimore! You've got to check this place out - here's what caught my attention when driving by...

...looks promising huh?

This looks even more promising...

...who needs a Mai Tai when they've got Bud and Bud Light on Draught? They've probably got 2 for 1 specials on Friday nights! You might also be able to take in 10-15 sporting events on one of their many big screens!

Now here's a photo of the luxurious poolside tiki bar...

...notice all the tropical decor? See all the tikis littering the pool area? Watch your head with all the puffer fish lamps and fish floats! By the looks of the cooler stand right next to the bar that appears as if it may have been imported from an exotic Spencer's retail outlet at the nearest mall, you can get your can of Bud or Bud Lt. served poolside!

Is this not one of the most inviting scenes you can imagine? Picture yourself in your coolest aloha shirt or NASCAR t-shirt, sipping a cold can of shitty beer, squinting your eyes so the pine trees can begin to take on the appearance of palm trees and pretending the roar of traffic on 6-95 is the gentle lull of waves upon a Hawaiian shore and you're there!

I was going to go inside and check out the Sportz tiki bar but I figured I'd save that Polynesian splendor for your imagination! :roll:

That makes me sad. I have noticed alot more of this sort of thing going on in the past 5 years or so. I'm sure this one will be destroyed by beer guzzling cromagnons in a matter of months.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2005 8:11 AM

As a beer guzzling cro-magnon, I'd just like to say "Who the hell uses the word "draught" anymore?" :-?

T

Canadians!

This looks like the little brother of most "Tiki" bars in Florida. Put some palm frongs over a bar and wa-la, TIKI.

J

Maybe that's the Ramada Inn's attempt at being classy! Unfortunately I think their "Old English" spelling may have missed its mark. By the looks of some of the scroungy patrons milling around and the beat-up trucks in the parking lot I'd say a lot of the clientele aren't real literate - that's why they shortened Budweiser to Bud. They might not know what a draught is but they do know that B-U-D spells relief! :)

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki 2005-07-29 11:56 ]

T

Well it is still a tiki bar. It more than I have at the moment. Hopefully things will change soon. Something like that is what I need.

TB

On 2005-07-29 08:11, Kono wrote:
As a beer guzzling cro-magnon, I'd just like to say "Who the hell uses the word "draught" anymore?" :-?

Guinness!

TBird.

Ha! That is funny!

Fancy!

Yep, that's a Florida Tiki Bar, if I ever saw one. Only thing missing is the glass case with the poloroids of tuesday night's wet-t-shirt contest.

DZ

That ain't no tiki bar. Semi-kinda-sorta-maybe tropical-like-esque-ish, but as a much wiser man than myself once said: "If it says tiki ON it, it has to have tiki IN it!"

I think it's COOl how they spelled SPORTZ with a Z! it really classes the joint up, dontcha think???

I mean aside from the Bud Light on Draught??

Because you know there's NOTHING better than piss on draft!
:)

Dude....that's pretty sweet!

I'D hit it!

REALLY!! where's my giant sun-glasses and foam number one hand? i'm ready to...PAR-TAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: tiki1963 2005-07-29 10:31 ]

On 2005-07-29 09:55, mrs. pineapple wrote:
I think it's COOl how they spelled SPORTZ with a Z!

Should I say RaZZ or RaSS !?!?

I say if its able to get some travelers together that like tiki or even if they don't have a clue, over a drink or two or even...yep...a beer, then more power to em. It ain't the money spent of exotic decor, its the peeps that make it fun.
I don't know about you, but even when I see stuff like this, no matter where, it still puts a smile on my face.

T

They got both kinda beers!

Bud AND Bud Light!

...I say to that "Git-R-Done!" Aloha!

Hoity-Toity Wanna Be

[ Edited by: tikimug 2005-07-30 06:53 ]

On 2005-07-29 05:41, johntiki wrote:

...notice all the tropical decor?

I don't know what you're complaining about...

I see not one, but TWO glass floats... so what if they're on posts rather than hanging, and they're white.. and without netting.

-Z

T

John, thanks for posting the pics. Last night my wife told me that someone had told her about the new "Tiki Bar" at the Ramada. Thanks, I don't have to go there now.

On 2005-07-29 09:16, teaKEY wrote:
Well it is still a tiki bar. It more than I have at the moment. Hopefully things will change soon. Something like that is what I need.

Your bar might actually have a tiki on or near it.

While that is a bamboo or a palm thatch bar, it is not a tiki bar.

T

On 2005-07-30 12:53, christiki295 wrote:

On 2005-07-29 09:16, teaKEY wrote:

Your bar might actually have a tiki on or near it.

While that is a bamboo or a palm thatch bar, it is not a tiki bar.

Best guess is that the bar is made of PVC. They are selling these PVC bars about 1 mile from the Ramada.

J

Yup - total FL tiki bar. As soon as I saw "featuring bud and bus light" in the same sentence as "tiki" I knew it couldn't be true.

Even though I hail from the hot groin of Tiki, I still lvoe Bud lierght

I am beside myself....really. I'm actually beside myself.

Those 2 white glass floats are the coolest things I've ever seen. Must have.

J

Alohastation is right-on regarding the FL tiki bar thing and the inappropriate and overuse of the term "tiki bar." You know what the sad part about that is? Whenever I see the words "tiki bar" here in Florida, I don't even have the slightest expectation of there actually being ANYTHING tiki there (unlike JohnTiki had when he saw the sign at the Ramada.) In Florida, and apparently in MD too, any bar that has a thatched roof with palm fronds calls itself a "tiki bar." And in fact, as I have been informed by other TCers, some places will instist they have a "tiki bar" --- even if there is no palm frond thatched roof!

As Lionel Hutz once said to Homer Simpson: "...this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my lawsuit against the film, 'The Never-Ending Story' ".

Johntiki, I don't use the word "hero" very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

M

Along these same lines; there is a bar in Las Vegas called the "Ukulele Lounge".
Ukulele Lounge
(702) 382-7364 620 Las Vegas Blvd N
Las Vegas

It is a few blocks from Downtown, an area of Vegas popular with Hawaiian transplants and tourists from Hawaii. SO.... I figured at the very least this might be a place with somewhat of a Hawaiian feel. NOOO, nothing tiki or Hawaiian about this place-NOTHING. Not even a ukulele!!
I will try to have someone post some pictures-any volunteers? PM me if you want to post them-thanks. It is SO ugly inside.

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-08-01 10:48 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-08-01 10:49 ]

A day at a lame tiki bar is still better than a day at work.

M

On 2005-08-01 10:50, Urban Tiki wrote:
A day at a lame tiki bar is still better than a day at work.

Depends on what beer they sell and if they have the "NFL Package" on cable!!!!

Yes, I'm joking. :) I think I might have to agree with you, U T.

Pages: 1 27 replies