Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New ESQUIVEL release forthcoming

Pages: 1 10 replies

R

Posted at Billboard.com:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000999904

A host of previously unreleased recordings by late lounge music pioneer Juan Garcia Esquivel are due Sept. 6 via Bar/None. Recorded in 1975, the material on "The Sights and Sounds of Esquivel!" was originally intended for release as a promotional item for Chicago's La Margarita restaurant chain.

Recorded live in the studio with Esquivel's band -- with canned applause overdubbed later -- the set includes arrangements of George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue," the Ervin Drake/Dan Fisher/Irene Higginbotham standard "Good Morning Heartache" and the Tanya Tucker-popularized "Delta Dawn." The bandleader's widow, Yvonne Debourban Esquivel, contributes the disc's liner notes.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

That IS good news!!

rupe33 --

Thank you for this extremely important news!

Ditto!

Beautiful! Esquivel literally changed my life...first heard him by chance almost 10 years ago at the local coffee shop, I asked the barista who he was. She told me that the owners never let her play Esquivel, but I happened in at that one moment when the owners were gone and she happened to have a hankerin for some esquivel. I went right out and bought all the Esquivel I could find, and sought out more of this kind of stuff from other artists, which led me to Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Ultra Lounges Exotica CD, and that led to...Tiki! Maybe it would have all come together some other way, but I often wonder what my life would be like now if not for my friend Stephanie's timely urge to listen to some forbidden Esquivel.
Can't wait to hear this new release.

My first posting...
I am looking forward to this new release as well. In the spring of this year I was diagnosed with Esquivelitis. A friend at work had burned a unlabeled CD for me of this really weird music. I thought it was a compilation of some sort, from different artists. Finally one day, I asked her who was on that CD. She told me "Esquivel", and that is where it started...

To hear "Delta Dawn" ala Esquivel... can't wait!

Any "Esquivelian Esqperts" out there willing to share their knowledge? I've started a spreadsheet in Excel. I'm calling it "ESQUIVEL: From A to Zu-zu-zu". It lists all original album releases and compilations. I am wondering if there are any "holes" I need to fill in. I'd love to share this with other fans.

One missing release is "RCA: 100 Anos de Musica". Does anyone out there have this? Are there tracks on that 2CD release that don't appear elsewhere?

K

Ahhhh- nothing like a new Esquivel release. Unfortunately, I had to return mine for a replacement, tracks 13 and 14 would not play. But I did manage to hear "Delta Dawn" ala Esquivel. Pure Magic!

I finally got my copy. Well worth the wait. Beautiful music from the master! Doesn't anybody have film footage of his live show? What a DVD that would make!

This guy has just retired his MP3 blog, and his final post was some rare, early Esquivel.

Grab it before it goes away...

http://endlessmike101.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the heads up Tikibars. If you like to look at pictures while listening to music, here's the artwork for the cover of the record and poster for the film.

ch

Pages: 1 10 replies