Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Rubber Stamps

Pages: 1 10 replies

These are the black and white drawings my husband and I drew, which we had made into rubber stamps. Some are inspired by old tikis from So Cal hotels, restaurants and some actual tikis in our collection...
What do you think?

[ Edited by: Sideshow Stamps 2005-08-01 11:47 ]

[ Edited by: Sideshow Stamps 2005-08-01 11:47 ]

T

I found the web page a few posts down....

http://www.sideshowstamps.com

[ Edited by: tikitammy 2005-08-02 08:51 ]

C

Hey Stamps,
Your tiki stamps and cards are very cool and unique. Maybe sometime you can share the stampmaking process. Look forward to seeing more things from you.
Chongolio

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

In reply to Chongolio ~
My husband and I draw the designs with pen and ink and then I scan them and shrink them down to the size I want the rubber stamps to be. I then combine all the images on one 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper and we send that to the manufacturer.
From there they have a fancy machine that reads the black and white images as a negative and after a week or so, it creates a reversed/raised version of the images called a matrix board. Then from that, they press the matrix board into metal and create an engraving of our image page. Then they pour the rubber into the engraving and we get the rubber stamps back in the form of a sheet just like the paper one we sent in.

I think that's the jist of it.
Interesting huh?!
I'm glad we just do the drawing side of it all... Whew!!

It's really fun being able to create something cool out of drawings we did of things we love, like tikis and the whole atomic age culture!
; )
Happy Tiki Talking,
Jennifer

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2005 8:45 PM

Cool. Found the process interesting. I'm guessing you get them mass produced?

B

That IS really Cool. I really love the art work. Those old time tikis are Hard to beat.I never thought stamps could be so detailed. Nice.

Thanks Benzart!
: )

N

A shopper's experience here...

a couple of years ago, when I just got into paper art, I ordered a bunch of stamps from Sideshowstamps (I think this is the second rubber batch I bought). Got the wooden tiki, the stone tiki and a couple of others not shown here. The order was pocessed quickly, the shipping was reasonably priced (that's an issue, when you live outside the US) and the rubber is GOOD - deeply etched and nice to work with.
Below is an old altered book spread I made, using some tiki stamps: The bamboo and background pineapples are from Sideshowstamps. Hula girl is from vivalasvegastamps, two mugs on the left from Sunday International and I am not sure about the rest. The large one is a carving made by my art-pal and TC member, Snarkoutgirl.

the tag goes inside the large carved stamp which is used as a pocket. The flame and martini glass are from Sideshowstamps and the saying is from Paper Candy. Recipe for The Reverb Crash is written on the back side of the tag.

[ Edited by: nuKKe 2005-08-21 12:52 ]

Hey NuKKe-your stamp art is REALLY beautiful! Thanks for sharing art made with our stamps, as well as a couple of our other favorite companies like vivalasvegasstamps and Paper Candy. People often ask "What do you do with stamps?" Art like yours shows people the potential of stamping as an art form. It is a very fun, relaxing, and gratifying process. It's cool to see how many tiki enthusiasts are avid stampers as well. Keep up the great work!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 21, 2005 9:58 PM

Thats cool

Hey- has anyone else ever done any art with our tiki or Hawaiian stamps? I'd really love to see it!
Post it here!!
Thanks
; )
Jennifer
http://www.sideshowstamps.com

Pages: 1 10 replies