Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wild Coconuts...OKC

Pages: 1 0 replies

T

After hearing that there was a Tiki bar here in OKC on the Bricktown canal, I took my lovely wife there for some drinks to see what it was all about. We went last night (Tuesday early evening). We walked past the few Tiki prints and hula girl lamp, past the dining area. There we walked into the "tiki bar" portion, which has a small dance floor, a stage area, and a nice long traditional bar. On the railing around the dance floor is a few tables shaped like surfboards with eclectic short stools each upholstered in a different fabric. Paper Machet parrots and a disco ball hang from the ceiling and a grass thatched awning gives some nice ambiance. Tecate' signs and other Mexican style decor (Painted frogs on the pillars..stuff like that) throw your senses toward a more mixed theme. (Tixican Disco???)

"Wild Coconuts" is a mixture of many things. It is a little bit Tiki, a little bit Yucatan Mexico, and a little bit Casual Asia. I was looking for small umbrellas in the glasses or tiki mugs, but none were to be found. No visable altar to show off a tiki mug collection (Shouldn't every real tiki bar have that?) The nice waitress (Who was very attentive) said they were looking into the umbrellas for the drinks. The specialty of the house is Asian food. The menu was pretty complete and the prices were very reasonable.

My wife had strawberry daiquiris, and I had Corona's. There was no drink menu with house specialty drinks, but they seemed willing to make anything you want. Large frozen drink machines line the back wall of the bar. The daiquiris were nice and strong, and the beers were...well they were beers (I asked for extra limes and they, along with the beers, kept coming). Everyone was nice and the service was good...but then, we were pretty much the only ones in there at the time. The music was fairly loud and mostly newer dance style. No hula or Hawaiian music was played while we were there. It more reminded me of a resort style dance club.

We were ready to try some of the food and we ordered spring rolls, which later we were told that they were made on site and took 6 hours to make. I believe it. Those were some of the best spring rolls I ever had. We debated after the wonderful spring rolls if we were going to have dinner there, but we decided to go to a local seafood place instead (We had already wanted to try both things...so we had drinks here and food elsewhere...but it was a difficult decision after those rolls...wow)

Overall the experience was a pleasurable one, and although parking in the Bricktown area is a pain, I believe it is worth the trip.

Pages: 1 0 replies