Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Gentelmen Prefer Hanes... Ladies Prefer Pineapples

Pages: 1 33 replies

T

I found this image in a 1980's Vogue magazine... it is strange, amusing and intriguing all at once! What exactly is going on here?

hmmmm, everyone in our house prefers pineapples....

Well I believe in San Francisco;
(some) Women prefere women in Hanes,
(some) Men prefere to wear Hanes.
I prefere women with pineapples. :D

I'm more of a coconuts gal myself :wink:

Kind of looks like the guy is trying to match the lady with a co-ordinating accessory?

D

SHE has mistakenly super glued her finger to her chin, having only one arm she is in need of assistance. HE is taking advantage of the situation and stealing her little pink paper umbrella. Can you blame him?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-07 11:19 ]

H

On 2005-08-07 05:07, tikifish wrote:
What exactly is going on here?

Commonly found in advertising this is clearly a sexual double entendre. He's taking her umbrella, it's pink, it's wide open, she's not stopping him.

Being that Tikifish is in the advertising industry I think she already knew this and was just testing us.

On 2005-08-07 11:18, DawnTiki wrote:
SHE has mistakenly super glued her finger to her chin, having only one arm she is in need of assistance. HE is taking advantage of the situation and stealing her little pink paper umbrella. Can you blame him?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAsnort

she does have that "you wouldn't DARE!" look about her

This photo has been reproduced backwards. A ladies' Chinese blouse buttons from the right, not left. Also, green is not this model's color. And also, if I were Hanes, I'd be asking the ad agency's art director what the hell is this man's lame-ass proferring of the woman's own cocktail umbrella to the lady is supposed to mean. Is this what sophisticated, tie-wearing men do to wow a hot babe? Take the umbrella out of her drink and then offer it to her? Man, he'd better be a doctor or something to pull this off.

B

Maybe she is trying to hide an "outbreak" on her chin and the man suggested she use the umbrella?

I

The woman has just asked the man for a light. That is not really a paper umbrella, it is a James-Bond-like disguised cigarette lighter.

He thinks she will soon bring a cigarette to her mouth, but what she really wants lit is the top level of 151 rum in her pineapple drink.

She finds it amusing that he thinks that she prefers smoking to drinking pineapple rum drinks. Men can be so dumb sometimes.

Vern

On 2005-08-07 12:18, Satan's Sin wrote:
This photo has been reproduced backwards. A ladies' Chinese blouse buttons from the right, not left.

First, it's not a blouse, it's a dress.

Second, my vintage dress of this exact style also buttons on the left, not the right.

It is you, that is backwards, my dear. :wink:

All of this is irrelevant, look at how tightly her legs are crossed. If that's not body language, saying 'get yer mitt's offa my rum drink' I don't know WHAT is.

D

On 2005-08-07 16:21, mrs. pineapple wrote:
look at how tightly her legs are crossed

Yet another super glue mishap.

what everyone has missed is that her left hand holds a silenced p-38 automatic at ready.

the female of the species is more deadlier than the male.

T

Being in the ad business only makes this ad all the more intriguing and mysterious to me! Why cant we see the man, is this supposed to empower the woman? Is she rejecting his meagre offering of her own umbrella? Is this som aging 80's ad man's attempt at trying to make a sexy hosiery ad, while imbuing his ad with this newfangled idea of 'women's lib' - therefore giving of a strange, pineapple scented mixed message?

The only edible bromiliade, it's history is rather wild and full of intrigue.

It was supposedly discovered by Columbus on an island in the Caribbean )now called Guadalupe) but was originally from what is now Paraguay. It was traded for a few hundred years by indians via dugout canoes and the story goes that when Columbus' men snuck into a deserted village they found the fruit next to butchered human remains boiling in pots.

Its also the Hospitality fruit, as for hundreds of years it was the Hallmark of anyone who was well connected. People actually rented pineapples by the hour just to have them at parties.

It's my belief that this photo was taken during the rut, and was snapped at the last moment before the entire lodge broke out in a sans Pantaloon's frenzy

D

On 2005-08-07 17:09, Johnny Dollar wrote:
her left hand holds a silenced p-38 automatic

J$ what are yout talking about? The poor dear only has one hand and it's super glued to her chinny chin chin!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-07 17:42 ]

You're all wrong. She's using her finger to hide her butt chin and the umbrella is a phallic symbol. Look, I know all about phallic symbols. It's an ad about oral sex, obviously. :D

I know all about phallic symbols

I forgot to say my Great Uncle was Sigmund Freud.

Hmmmm...sounds like some kinda subversion of preverts to me.

The puzzle is simply an issue of bad cropping. The real photo prior to the ad makes much more sense. Blame it on the magazine editors.

Sabu

The thing about this photo that is most unrealistic is the lady's bag.
It's Empty!
I've never known a woman have a bag thats not like a botomless pit filled with all sorts of crap.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

T

Good catch Cheeky! Maybe the man is suggesting she put the umbrella in her bag to take home, since she has so much room, and if he put it in his pocket, it might poke his arse!

UB

Fishy,
What are these two thinking?

T

While his one hand is near the very phallic bananas, the other points to her nipple - suggesting that even though he is a clean cut fellow, he's really interesting in sticking his banana betwixt her melons. However, she is holding a pineapple - although traditionaly a sign of hopitality, it's sharp spikes say in a most tactile manner, STAY AWAY! Yes, she's smiling at him now, but that is only because she is a stock photographer's model and hates her life. She will go home and down a bottle of wild turkey and eat 30 Xanax in a haze of self pity. He will call her a 'frigid bitch', then go off to a strip joint.

Or, maybe they're just shopping for fruit.

J

On a weekend trip to sunny Jamaica Phil has a life-changing revelation…

“That’s a pineapple?!? Holy shit! I always thought they grew inside those little metal cans at the supermarket!”

Buffy fakes a smile and thinks to herself, “Oh Dear Lord in Heaven, why did I get hooked up with such a goddamned moron?”

H

Ok, ok you guys are all full of it...He is an extremely controlling man. He is taking the umbrella out of the drink so she can drink it and not have her nose get poked by the umbrella. She is a trophy girlfriend he is a voyeur who does not drink, but only likes to watch.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-08-09 13:52 ]

They are both thinking how incredibly happy they are after sharing a stick of Doublemint gum.

Is he not pointing and saying 'Those ARE melons'?

He's quoting the B52s "Strobe Light":

I'm gonna kiss your eyes
Then I'm gonna kiss your neck
Then I'm gonna kiss your tummy
Then I'm gonna kiss your pineapple

Tonight's the night
For love under the light
Strobe light, strobe light
Underneath the strobe light

Almost. He just said "Why aren't YOUR melons that big?"

Then she said "Funny guy! If you don't shut the $#@% up I'll shove this pineapple, pointy end first, right up your @ss!"

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-08-10 10:22 ]

The other men here may not appreciate me revealing this, but all men know that pineapples will make your breasts grow. Noticing that neither woman is particularly buxom, I believe that the man is offering the women the pineapple in hopes of , uhhh... enhancing her figure. The guy in the first picture is much more clever as he is offering her a pineapple drink which will not only get her to injest pineapple juice, but get her drunk at the same time. The icy look on her face tells me that she is wise to his plan and the paper umbrella "peace offering" is not helping.

B

Then again there is also the rumor that eating Pinapple will improve the taste of a man's certain body fluid.

Pages: 1 33 replies