Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

8FT's Frankoma project DONE...Final finished photos NOW!

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

B

WOW, Man, I can't wait to see this guy glazed and fired. He is onna b SO Cool. Excellent job.

8T

Well here it is. The color is about as close as I can find. Since I don't have the actual mug or any other Frankoma piece in the same shade in my posession, I couldn't exactly match the glaze with those little paint "chips" at the hardware stores. I had to do my best from a photo. I think it works though. I needed to find a bit of yellow and orange inside the red. I have to say that this was more difficult that I expected it to be and I have come to the conclusion that this is probably because of the properties of a glaze are such that it allows it to have different shades and values across the surface of the piece but with paint, it is about the same shade from the first dip to the bottom of the can. Therefore I accepted this limitation and went ahead because the alternative was to put it in my fireplace to glaze it.......... I think I made the right choice. I am going to apply several coats of urethane next and then one final picture for you. Enjoy, 8FT

E

That turned out beautiful! I have a thing for red tikis...

K

a spittin image good work...

You hit a home run on this one 8ft . It is amazing .

very original idea, rodeo! beautiful work... well thought out.

M

Nice "God of War" Very nice!!!

B

Excellent 8FT, Excellent. What more can I say. You have captured the image perfectly..

Beautiful! I'd like to fill it with ice and make a giant chi-chi.

That's FANTASTIC! I love the color! Now If you could only fill it with rum!!

You're right, 8-FT, we gotta get together. I REALLY want to see how you're doing these amazing carvings!

That is just stunning! I went thru the entire thread and had no idea it would end up looking this way.

Just a really beautiful piece of work. Priceless!

T

THat looks like one of those fake photos. The red is the crown jewel.

Oh Man!

K

Far out! 8 ft. Tiki needs a big honkin' mug! ha-ha

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 3:35 PM

Awesome! Look like you took a picture of a mug and enlarged it and pasted it in the garden. Sweet work!

8T

The other day I took this carving and 2 others to work with me in order to share them in a creative exhibit of employee artwork. On the way there I had to drive through a traffic circle, a sort of round about thing. Well Mr Frankoma decided to shift about and received some damages to the paint. I decided to just take him back home and see what I could do. I spent part of the weekend doing some touch up and then applied a couple of new protective outer layers. I wasn't happy about having to go through the rework steps but it actually allowed me to be a bit more picky and really get a good final coat on him. So I felt confident enough that I took him back to work and this time we arrived safely. I will bring him home tomorrow and will get a new photo then. By the way, I wanted to know the final weight so I placed him on the scale in the shipping dept.
UGH!! 115 POUNDS!
And at home I have been lugging (or is that logging?) him in and out of the house to do work when weather isn't right. I have to carry him up a flight of 10 stairs each time. Now all I want to know is why I'm not all buff from doing the "tiki clean and jerk" ?

On 2005-10-19 16:29, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I will bring him home tomorrow and will get a new photo then. By the way, I wanted to know the final weight so I placed him on the scale in the shipping dept.
UGH!! 115 POUNDS!

Yo 8FT! Have you got him home yet, or at 115 pounds have you decided to just leave him at work?? :)
Lets see some PICS!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2005 3:01 PM

8FT,

What was the product name of the wood filler you used on the red tiki project?

-Gman

8T

Gman, The product I used is called "Titebond Wood Filler"
It was in a 16 oz. tub and cost about $5 I think there is enough in there for several projects! Dries fast and sands well.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 12:21 PM

Gracias!

-G

That's quality and finish, right there...well done.

8T

Well, as promised, here's the last of the photos. Shown here after 3 coats of Helmsman Gloss Urethane for the shiny protective coating I wanted. The finished project totaled
50 hours. It weighs 115 pounds and is 24" tall, 48" around.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 6:03 AM

That looks awesome! You'd never know it was damaged, the finish is perfect.

Where do ya work, and how did a bright red tiki go down with people who saw it?

You got me wanting to paint a tiki up all pretty like too. :)

nice job 8 Foot.....sounds like a lotta lotta work...but
it was worth it...the finish looks incredible...I'm sure
it's ever better in person.

B

Awesome tiki 8Ft. I could not tell it had been damaget. The blue one looks great too.
That is a Beautiful red and the finish is Perfecto!!

That is SWEET! I really enjoyed watching this one evolve.

You look dazed. Cool MugTiki!!!

Awesome work 8ft. You have come a long way since you joined TC. I still think your PISCO carving is one of the best out there. You should give it to me. Ha

8T

Thanks to my friends BK, Hewey, Congatiki, Benzart, Aaron, and Rev. for all of the nice feedback.
Oh and Flounder....your words mean a lot ! Coming from someone with your amazing talent I am indeed honored.
Best wishes to you all!
Your friend, 8FT Tiki

R

I swear that its a photograph and some photoshop magic. Its absolutely beautiful.

8T

Today I put this in its new spot in our great room. I don't think I ever mentioned that this is an INDOOR tiki. I cannot leave it outside in the elements because I don't want to risk any weather related cracking. Besides, the top is concave to resemble a mug and this would just catch water if left in the rain. So he now resides a few steps away from big old 8FT himself. I think he looks happy (for a guy with a big snarl on his face). And the color sure grabs your eye when you glance his way. Thanks again to everyone who followed this thread for the 3 months it took to do the work and post the results. I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments. CHEERS! 8FT Tiki

Hi, although we have been collecting tiki for a very long time I'm really new to navigating TC. I've recently made a Frankoma Tiki bowl that I will share on my new web page that is under construction. I thought I'd see if anyone else had done something like it. Found your amazing carved tiki photos. I love it. I have written to the Frankoma family this week to see if copy write is an issue if I were to do more than the one for Dan. Bet there's a market for your tiki. I'm selling Ren Clark severed heads on eBay right now, I think I made $2 an hour for the work on the first one. It's the fun that counts and it sure looks like your was a lot of work and a ton of fun, Wendy of danlovestikis

Pages: 1 2 79 replies