Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

More AAC Moai

Pages: 1 9 replies

Man, I feel like i've been gone forever! I was in NY on a business trip all last week, and was unable to do anything tiki-related...

prior to flying out, I made another trip to our fairly local AAC manufacturer, and thanks to their extreme generosity, went home with a car-load and a truck-load of scrap AAC block in various shapes and sizes... FREE! they especially wanted to get rid of these 2 foot long U-shaped blocks that they don't know what to do with. Well, I knew what to do with them... I got to work over the weekend, cutting the blocks in half, made a cardboard template and started carving/sculpting... turns out that they make pretty nice Moai...

here are some in-process shots...

and here's the finished product painted with various colors of Fleckstone paint...

I think i'm hooked on AAC; it's really fun to play with. Benz, now that i'm back, we'll figure out a schedule where I can get you some blocks to try out.

Thanks for looking, and it's nice to be back to the TC world!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 8:27 AM

Thanks for sharing. Free, thats my favorite price.

P

Neat stuff....I bet the AAC maker would love to see what you've done with their old scrap.

F

really like the the style and I would love to do a trade. Interested in a tiki to exchange.

Palm City Tiki

Peddro: thanks... i'll be taking a couple to the people at the AAC mfgr. who helped me out as a token of appreciation.

Flacookz: thanks... sure, i'll trade one for a tiki.. be aware that they are 1 foot tall. PM me for details.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2005 6:29 PM

Awesome dude. You inspired me to have a go at an AAC Moai, im still progressing on it. In fact, it turned into a pair of twins!

Maybe see if your supplier would like one? I know at least one carver who gave a carved tiki to a local tree loper, and now gets an ongoing supply of wood for nothing.

Mmmm, maybe i shoould contact my local AAC manufacturer...

Very impressed. I love the style of them. Keep em comin

Nice! Those "U" shaped pieces work well.

Hmmmm... somebody's might have to start an "Official AAC Post" one of these days... (hint, hint) :wink:

Nice work - looks like you've got a regular Moai factory going there, Palama!

Aaron

Is AAC available in the Northeast? Thank you in advance.
Annie

Try here, Moondance. Good luck!

A-A

Hewey: thanks! can't wait to see your Moai twins! i'm taking a couple of the carvings to the people at the AAC manufacturer as a "thank you", and hopefully i can pick up some more while i'm at it. I know it's not tiki-related, but they have slabs of it there that will make great tombstones for Halloween decorations. i already started prepping one of those. AAC is great!

Aaron: i appreciate the comments... i did 4 Moai at one time and tried to get a standardized process worked out for making the one-foot guys; i'm hoping to generate some interest in them as coffee-table pieces or bookends, etc.

Moondance: Aaron's links should give you all the information you need; he's the AAC expert. Good luck!

Pages: 1 9 replies