Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Great News for Thrifty Drunks!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Had the most wonderful bourbon at a party this past weekend. Had to know what it was. The proud hostess showed me a bottle of what turned out to be Albertson's cheapo in-house store brand.

Its semi-classy label just lists it as "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey." Picked up a fifth today, on sale at $5.99.

It's quite delicious. Sharp, flavorful, boozy, smokey, just a little bit sweet. Perfect for a Manhattan, I'd say, and quite the object of ease and contentment on its own with just a little ice.

Anyway, thought you fine folks would like to know. I know it's the kind of information I'd like.

I believe that Frank-Lin rectifies Bourbon for Albertson's private label. Frank-Lin gets alot of that private label grocery business. I will attempt to find out what distillery produces the batch.

M
mbanu posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2005 6:23 PM

It's probably Heaven Hill bourbon. They do most of the contracting out to stores for generic brands. Basically it's the same stuff as Evan Williams, only younger and a lower proof. Most of the generic HH bourbon is 4 year old and 80 proof.

I love bourbon, but I haven't heard of any of those brands. Any chance it might be bottled under a different name in the midwest?

Fink Daddy..Never heard of Heaven Hill. Are you sure?
Check out website:http://www.heaven-hill.com/
They make some of the finest bourbon in Kentucky, Bruddah.

In spite, of the fact their marketing dept screwed Holden. As far as, Frank-Lin. They are a multi-state wine and spirits distributor based out San Jose, Califas. They also rectify numerous spirits for off-premise chain accounts nationwide. As far as, at least two years ago they made all Scotch, Canadian, and Bourbon whiskey.

Hope this helps.

They made all Brown Spirits (excluding rum) for Albertson's Nationwide that is...
The only reason I know is that Michael Maestro (who is Frank-Lin honcho) married a friend of mine from Mexcor, Ms. Celia Villanueva. (www.mexcor.com) Sorry too many Cuba Libre's this afternoon.

Ah, I just looked at their site. I have had their Evan Williams bourbon many, many times, as well as a lot of their other liquers. I guess I just didn't know who made them. :)

privately held "family Owned" company, Fink..so rare in Today's world of corporate hoodlums.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2005 8:13 PM

Mmmm... Bourbon :)

H

My husband loves Jim Beam, I think I will buy some of this stuff tomorrow and see how he likes it. Thanks for the tip.

The best bourbon for the money is Bulleit Frontier Bourbon. It's about $20 per bottle on average and tastes like bourbons that cost in the $50 to $100 range. It was very hard to get until recently as it had a very limited distribution (I had to have mine sent by a friend in Colorado), but it is now available at many of the more well stocked liquor stores, such as bev mo. Hi Times and Beverage Warehouse have it for less than Bev Mo.

But you have me curious and I'm going to try the Albertson's (or whatever it was) brand and see how it stacks up.

R.N. Davey, did you mention "Cuba Libres?"

Here is a suggestion. Find grapefruiit-flavored soda -- my personal fave is Diet Shasta, but even Fresca will do in a pinch -- and substitute that for Coke. I think you will be surprised.

Also -- I'd appreciate your recipe for a Mohito. We here in California are so terribly concerned with being high, er, hip.

T

My favorite inexpensive bourbons:

Old Grandad - the regular (at less then $10) is very good but the Bonded is even better (under $20 - I always buy Bonded bourbon when I find it - it's bottled under Gov't. supervision at 100 proof)

Old Crow - yes, it comes in a plastic bottle, but just try it - less then $10

Eljah Craig 12-year old - only $20 and better then Maker's Mark

Evan Williams black label - less then $10

Ezra Brooks - less then $10

Bulleit - around $20

George Dickel #12 - less then $20

W.L. Weller 12 year - less than $20

Wild Turkey 101 - less then $20 - great in a Manhattan

mmmmm, bourbon

Satan Sin and others:

I just love Squirt, and I use it for Tequila "Paloma's" all the time. Kim always buys it, so we have it here all the time. I will try it instead of Coke substitute in my Cuba libres. Lately, I have been using the Virgin Black Cherry and Virgin Vanilla Colas as Coca Cola replacements. We bought two or three cases as a blow out item at Big Lots.

As far as, Mojito goes I have this to add. Three years ago, we went to Cuba from Mexico City. We stayed exactly four days, and I was on a real mission to find REAL Cohibas. Believe me, there are counterfeit stoogie peddlers in Havana looking for gullible tourists. I spent the first day and several hundred dollars securing three boxes of Cohiba Siglo V, as well as some tasty Montecristo Joyitas.

Kim was very annoyed so we spent the whole next day visiting museums and buying chatchkees. The food was absolutely fantastic, and we drank too many Daiquiris "Papa Hemingway" at the Floridita. Apparently, Hemingway liked his Daiquiris without sugar and more rum. The recipe I have is as follows:
1/2 oz. lime juice
1&1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
3 oz White Cuban Rum

I stayed and played dominos with some regulars until well in the evening when Kim went back to the hotel and I see why Hemingway loved the place. My Spanglish failed me many times after Kim left, but communication problems aside dominos are universal and the cigar smoke wafted around me like drapes for my soul. "Uno mas Habana Clobb Seis Anos, por favor!" I knew to keep repeating that mantra through the night and I would be fine.

Kim is a Mojito Lover, and I keep Marti stocked for her at home. In Havana, we were told to go for mojitos at the Bodeguita del Medio. We did and we are glad we did. Their Mojito was as follows:

1 oz fresh Squeeze lime juice
6-8 erba buena leaves
2/3 oz of pure cane sugar
2 oz Havana Club white rum
dash of mineral water

I believe it is important to muddle the leaves, sugar and lime juice before adding the ice, rum, and mineral water. I always muddle my mint in juleps, as well, for Bourbon.
For the TCers who wish to stock up on Havana Club, all it takes as a jaunt to Mexico. I can buy (not cheap) Havana Club "Silver Dry", Havana Club Anejo 3 anos gold, and sometimes the 5 anos at Canada Drugstore in Hermasillo in Sonora. I am sure for you West Texans, New Mexicans, and Californians you will be able to score Havana Club in TJ in Baja and Juarez (south of El Paso). Note: Havana Club is contraband and will be seized by cutoms and border patrol! If you are randomly checked, and you did not amnesty drop or declare..you WILL be cited. Once you have tripped that wire, EVERY time you travel abroad YOU will be singled out for searches and harassed. I have never been caught (knock on my head) BUT this is the facts. For you North Country TCers, Canada is awash with overpriced Cuban Rum and Cigars. (lucky bastardos)

T

My biggest gripe with Mojitos is that they often use too much mint (some bartenders think that the more the better). It's good to see a recipe that only calls for 6-7 leaves.

RND - How much money is the fine for bringing Cuban rum over? Last time I drove to Baja I had several bottles in my suitcase and my friends had several more as well. We told the agent we had a bottle of booze or 2 and he waved us through. Whew!

One time I was in a car that was searched but that day we didn't bring anything across except hangovers!

Here is my absolute Favorite Bourbon Bottler for quality to price ratio.

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers
http://kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/

The old Willett Distillery, just outside of Bardstown looks abandoned. It is not, and bottles some of the best whiskey in America. The owner is named Even Kulsveen and he is A European who married into the Willett Family. The old Willett stock has dwindled down, and Kulsveen has his small batch and value added Bourbons distilled elsewhere in one of the eight operational distilleries in KY. He mostly sells to the Japanese market, and pockets of Europe.
Rowan's Creek is my favorite of KBD line, although for the bucks the Johnny Drum is fantastic. If you find this at your bottle shop -BUY IT.
Hard to come buy. By the way, I have the Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old (Bottle 586 of 630) at 90.8 Proof. I am looking for another bottle as this one is half empty (I am a pessimist) so let me know the telephone number of any shop nationwide that you find a bottle in this series.

Jab: Don't know the fine but the aggravation is severe. Kim's dad, Nick Silva, is retired from Border Patrol and Customs in El Paso. Her brother in law is current border patrol agent there. We'll inquire with them and I'll post their reply. Do you buy Havana Club in TJ? What price are you paying there? Buy the way, I bought a bottle of Coruba at $18.99. Seems high? How much are you paying in Bay Area?

R.N. Davey -- thanks for the Mojito recipe.

On muddling mint for a julep -- here's an interesting twist: get a large bowl, fill with fresh mint, then pour in a whole fifth of your favorite bourbon. But in the fridge overnight. Next morning, discard the mint, pour bourbon into the ice-filled tankards you have prepared for the juleps, garnish with a sprig of mint. Add a straw if you're from Kentucky, no straw if you're from Virginia.

Minty!

T

The last time (Oct. 2003) I went to Baja I bought Havana Club in Rosarito Beach. I bought clear (around $7), gold (around $9) and anejo (around $12). (I can't remember exact prices so these are ballpark). I also bought 1 Liter of Appleton silver which I can not find here, and some tequila.

Coruba is hard to find in the Bay Area but I have bought it in LA for around $12-15.

T

*On 2005-08-11 14:16, Satan's Sin wrote:*pour bourbon into the ice-filled tankards you have prepared for the juleps

Nice method!

One should always use crushed ice in a Julep, and it should be swizzled in the glass (or other vessel) until a frost occurs on the outside of the glass.

Gentleman:

I cannot recommend enough a set of Julep Cups from Wakefield Scearce Gallery.
http://www.wakefield-scearce.com/julep_cup_pres.aspx
These are the ones we utilize for Juleps at all Kentucky Colonel Functions like the Derby and Governor Patton's BBQ. Jab: I know you Bay Area guys don't like Dubya, so you may request some Jefferson Davis Clinton JDC engraved Julep Cups. My set are from when I first became a KC, so they are G.H.W.B.

Kim has a ton or Yerba Buena in our garden, as she makes sun tea with it so I have it fresh plucked for my Juleps. They frost up lovely, I say...Boy..where is my dang string tie and my Plantation Whites. Just a funny story as to my last trip to the Derby. Bill Samuels from Maker's Mark invited a group of us to sit in his box. He looked the part with his frock coat and white slacks. He rather "tongue and cheekingly" hired a diminutive man who strongly resembled the photographs we have of Jack Daniels. They dressed the man in period correct clothing (All Black) and the look-alike had Maker's Mark Cigars in a Maker's Mark Shoulder Bag and souvenir Red Wax covered shot glasses he passed out to all who came to visit the box. I have never laughed so hard at the pure genius of Bill Samuels Marketing gimmicks. Bill made ol' Jack his lawn Jockey on that day! jack..you been PUNKED!

On 2005-08-11 14:34, thejab wrote:
I also bought 1 Liter of Appleton silver which I can not find here.

You can get Appleton white rum at Hi Time down here in So Cal--only the 750ml, though.

Pages: 1 21 replies