Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Know your Herb-Flavored Liqueurs

Pages: 1 13 replies

In Europe there are many amazing herbal liqueurs, as well. Of course, we mentioned the archetype herb liqueur, which is Chartruese. The Elixer vegetal, Chartreuse, is still made exactly the same mysterious way since 1605 by Carthusian Monks. Of course, the green was the strong original version, and now we have the weaker and sweeter yellow. I always mix my Chartreuse one-third green with two thirds yellow, and that make me happy. Nobody besides the monk distillers now what exactly is distilled in Chartreuse but it is supposedly comprised of 130 various herbs.

In Italy, you have Centerbe, also called Mentuccia. To me Mentuccia taste minty.
In Bordeaux, there is the fruit and herb brandy called Cordial-Medoc
In Spain, the Basque produce Izarra. Like Chartreuse, there is a green and yellow version.
Spain also has Licor 43
In Belguim, they have Elixer d”Anvers
France is also famous for producing Benedictine, an herb brandy liqueur, and the B & B variant.
Italy also produces Liquore Stregga and Amaro 72. One of my favorite Italian Liqueurs is Galliano.
Sambuca Romana is from Italy. Next time you order it at the bar call for “sambucca con mosche” which means with flies. The Flies are the three coffee beans afloat.
Italy is also famous for Get 27, which is a fantastic crème de menthe. Commonly, crème de menthe is drunk “frappe” (which means on crushed ice and through a straw.
Scotland gives us Drambuie, which takes its name from Scots Gaelic “an dram Buidheach” (translated thedrink that satifiies).
Ireland contends in the whiskey based herbal liqueur with Irish Mist.
England even has its own The King’s Ginger Liqueur.
Germany has Jagermesiter, which I hate!

Lastly, I am left with Bitters, which I love. I have about 40 bottles of various bitters on my bar. Nothing settles a stomach or cures a bad hangover better, Nothing balances out an overly sweet cocktail either.
Angostura, which we all are use.in Tikiland.
New Orleans and Sazerac produce Peychaud’s.
Italy has Campari , Cynar, and Fernet Branca
France has Amer Picon, and Germany the bold, Underberg.

Again, nowhere close to being an exhaustive list. Experiment around with new cocktails. After all, that is what Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber did!

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-13 04:39 ]

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-13 04:49 ]

Don't forget Pimms. I just read an article that Pimms is "coming back in style" whatever that means...

I personally like a Pimms & Gin, but not a Pimms cup - any drink with a cucumber garnish seems wrong in my book for some reason.

No forgetting Pimm's, Dangergirl. The quintessential English drink.

Pimms is not really classified as an herb based liqueur, nor an unsweetened fruit eau de vie. Pimm No. 1 Cup is a grain based gin spirit, although it has a mash of herbs and quinine in is distillation. The closest other spirit to Pimm would be Boord's London Old Tom Gin (pink gin).
The original gin sling was a Tom Collins (not to be confused with a John Collins) as it was made with Old Tom Gin.
Pimms is a bottled concentrate version in which fizzy dry lemonade was added to make a "gin sling."
When Champagne was added it was called a Pimm Royal (think Kir Royale = Champagne and Cassis).
Pimm was created at a London Oyster bar by james Pimm , and he originally created six Pimm "fruit cups." he served the originals in tankards. Originally Pimm had six cups, each with a diffirent spirit base. Pimms Cup Base Spirit by number
No.1 Gin (Mainstay brand)
No.2 Whisky (discontinued)
No.3 Brandy (discontinued)
No.4 Rum (discontinued)
No.5 Rye (discontinued)
No.6 Vodka (rare, but sometimes produced)

My favorite Pimm No. 1 Cup recipes are:

Pimms and Ginger
1 measure of Pimms
3 measures of Ginger Ale
1 slice of lemon
1 slice of Cucumber
1 slice of Apple
Fresh Mint

Pimms Original
2 measures of Pimms
2 measure of Ginger Ale
2 measures of Lemonade
1 slice of Cucumber
1 slice of Lemon
1 slice of Orange
1 slice of strawberry
Fresh Mint

Pimms Royale
1 measure of Pimms
1 slice of Orange
1 slice of Lemon
1 slice of Lime
1 slice of Apple
Fresh Mint
Top up glass with Champagne

Pimm Bacon and Tomato Sandwich
3/4 measure Pimms
½ measure dark rum
½ measure white rum
2 measures lemonade

Pim Pom
2 measures Pimms
3 measures POM Pomegreate Juice
A clean and highly refreshing alternative to the classic Pimm. Finishes drier and classier than with lemonade. Dont forget the usual fruit and veg additions.

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-14 03:46 ]

H

Wow I am speeechless.

Hope your not speechless by my very long winded diatribes, eh Hiltiki?
I just have spent my whole life as a sommelier and in the wine/spirits trade. I should benefit my fellow tikiphiles on TC by sharing some of the stuff I have learned.

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-15 15:28 ]

H

Rum Num, not long, just interesting. I am enjoying the thorough info.

Thanks, Hiltiki. Glad your enjoying the info. Now, can you help me lose some unwanted pounds.

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-15 15:31 ]

H

Any time, just let me know what the problem is, and I will solve it right away!

The problem is that tire around my middle. Push ups and crunches Right?

One of the great things about travelling around Europe is that you can step into a bar, look at the bottles behind the barman, spot something you've never seen before that's made locally, and give it a try. It can certainly be hit and miss, but you can discover some fantastic stuff. Tunel Hierbas was one we found on the island of Mallorca, and it springs to mind whenever I think of herb flavoured drinks, particularly as it has a whopping great piece of vegetation in every bottle!

It comes in three styles: A sweet one, relatively low in alcohol, a dryer one that's quite strong, and one which combines the two. On the island there are a lot of 'imitators' (I'm not sure which brand came first) all which are worth a try. Many bars had this 'Hierbas' in huge 3 foot high ornate bottles with a little tap at the bottom. I'd guess it was originally something the locals would make themselves, then over the years distilleries grew up around what were cottage industries.

Trader Woody

H

Rum Numb, you need to be on a 1200 calorie a day diet along with maybe an hour of cardio workout such as fast walking or jogging. Oh and lets not forget no alcoholic beverages .... :( I know sad but true, it is the only way...

Okay an hour of cardio..got it..
1200 calories or less..already there
No booze..guess I'll remain chubby

Averna from Sicily has to be my favourite

A few not noted already:
Killepitsch - German herbal liqueur, a dark red-brown. Compare this to Jagermeister minus the liquorice/anise overtones. Thick, slightly syrupy, and I think it has a bit of a cola aroma. Bottle says "A taste of old Dusseldorf!"

Becherovka - Dark brown, almost bitters, made in the Czech Republic. I don't know much about this, save that it's a Czech 'thing'.

Liquore Strega - Italian herbal liqueur, fairly sweet, very complex flavor like Chartreuse or Benedictine. Bright yellow, colored with saffron. "Strega" means witch, and this liqueur had a legend (I have reason to believe this was written by the inventor as window dressing) that, being brewed first by a real Strega, it is bewitched: two lovers who partake of it together will fall madly in love forever. If nothing else, it's a pretty story and I tell it when serving this.

And back to Germany for Danziger Goldwasser. Everyone knows Goldschlager, the German cinnamon schnapps containing tiny gold flakes. Goldwasser, produced by Der Lachs since 1598, contains more, larger flakes, and is the original gold liqueur, with a nice herbal kick rather than hot cinnamon. Liqueurs began as eau de viw (water of life) i.e. brandy, at distilleries started by monks. The "water of life" was intended to be a curative agent, and thus was infused with herbs and flowers having supposed curative properties. As for the gold? Gold, too, was believed to be an almost magical curative... so they put gold in it!

Pages: 1 13 replies