Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki or not Tiki

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

I wasn't sure if this item was discussed before. My search turned up nothing.

So here it is. I need your help with this one. Tiki or not Tiki.???

Or is this one of those space/time anomalies.

(edited to fix image link)

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2009-02-24 13:52 ]

M

I need your help with this one

Hmmm, well, to me, it looks like a naked woman playing the kazoo as she balances on a unicycle and juggles three turkey legs. Oh, and she's holding a hula hoop with her mouth. So, definitely tiki.

midnite

Definitely Cthulu. I'd get rid of it as soon as possible. Hope it hasn't awoken any Elder Gods yet.

Sabu

Horga'hn - An alien fertility statuette seen on the sci-fi series STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION/SYN/1987-94. The Horga'hn is a small hand-held figurine resembling a primitive wooden carving (large oval head and small squatting legs) indigenous to the planet Risa, a tropical Class-M planet noted for its beautiful resorts and open sexuality. When a person wanted to participate in "jamaharon" (a mysterious sexual ritual) he/she openly displayed the Horga'hn to announce their intentions. As explained by a beautiful Risan woman "The Horga'hn is the Risian symbol of sexuality. To own one is to call forth its power. To display it is to announce you are seeking jamaharon." The Horga'hn was first seen on TNG episode No. 67 "Captain's Holiday" when starship Captain Jean Luc-Picard (Patrick Stewart) visited Risa for a little R&R; and later on a 1996 episode of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE when Lt. Worf (Michael Dorn) and Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell) visited Risa on vacation

Unkle John takes the prize as the correct answer was option C (one of those space/time anomalies).

One plush lamprey for Unkle John!

WOOOO!!!

I will proudly place it next to my batleth.

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-08-15 19:25 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 7:24 PM

Do you reckon the aliens have a space ship shaped like a lava lamp made from bamboo?

I want to say I saw that i saw that staute in Commander Riker's quarters.

Move over Kirk.

Here's one I've been wondering about for awhile. Not being a zoologist and not being a Tikiphile very long:
Parrots and monkeys--tiki or not tiki?

For me -

Parrots sound like they should be but aren't Tiki

Monkeys sound like shouldn't be but are Tiki

???

P

monkeys are just always funny.

monkeys and parrots, not to mention non-polynesian masks and artifacts, are tough to pin down as 'tiki or not,' considering that the tiki phenomenon was a bottom-up, decentralized process. there was no great kahuna sitting on a bamboo throne telling the world's restauranteurs and bar owners what they could and could not put in their space. they mostly wanted to fill ther space with enough 'exotic' crap to create a vibe so they could sell their drinks and food at a profit :)

I always thought the stuffed toy monkeys in the rafters at Damon's in Glendale, CA were totally bizarre and not particularly tiki, but boy are they awesome.

This looks like a good thread to hijack (sorry) . . it would be nice to have a thread to post pics of questionable tiki; stuff that may (or may not) be more than advertised. For example . .

I found this roughly three-foot tall carving in an area antique mall window. It's described as an African totem, but it sure looks Marquesan to me. The eyes, ears and nose especially. The carving isn't particularly well executed, so I passed on the $225 price tag. But the question remains . . Tiki? Or not Tiki?

L

The carving isn't particularly well executed, so I passed on the $225 price tag. But the question remains . . Tiki? Or not Tiki?

not bad for what appears to be indonesian version of marquesas tiki. but seems high. Looks like about a hundred bux worth of carved wood... at most. retail
but still, worth/value of "art" is very subjective.

OK, here's another one. Anybody ever hear of Heilman's Beachcomber in Clearwater Beach, FL? Tiki, or not TIki?

T

Picked this up for a few bucks @ a flea market after hemming & hawing for a while...
I'm thinking more Mayan than Hawaiian, but I've seen a few islands pieces before that resemble it...
Any ideas out there? No markings of origin anywhere...

Silverline, Heilman's Beachcomber would be technically PRE-Tiki Poly Pop, even if it existed into the 50s.
...actually, it is "Beachcomber style", a facet of Polynesian Pop, and an important, inexorably intertwined part of Tiki Style.

Twitch, sorry, not Tiki, but Mayan/pre-Columbian airport (or tourist) art.

The prop statue of the Horga’hn Fertility god that started this thread is now up for sale on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-TREK-DS9-HORGA-HN-STATUETTE_W0QQitemZ140117216238QQihZ004QQcategoryZ60360QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A “Horga’hn” is a statuette that symbolizes fertility on the pleasure planet Risa and indicates that a person carrying it is looking for “Jamahoron”, a pleasurable sexual practice native to the planet. Featured in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode “Let He Who is Without Sin…”, this Horga’hn is made of Styrofoam (Polystyrene) painted brown to resemble wood. At the time of this writing, this item appears to be the best preserved and intact available. Measures approx. 11 ½ x 5 ½ x 4 inches.

If anyone snags this please, please, please make a mold of it so that I could buy one.

On 2006-08-17 21:55, twitch wrote:
Picked this up for a few bucks @ a flea market....

Looks kind of like a portrait of Geronimo wearing a Hawaiin headdress. Maybe it was a vacation shot in the days before film....

The prop statue of the Horga’hn Fertility god that started this thread is now up for sale on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-TREK-DS9-HORGA-HN-STATUETTE_W0QQitemZ140117216238QQihZ004QQcategoryZ60360QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OMG! $1005 ????? I thought that we tikiheads were crazy but the trekkies have us beat on "crazy".

Where am I going? And how did I get in this hand-basket?
Tiki Tammy

[ Edited by: tikitammy 2007-05-21 09:31 ]

Sigh... Thrifting for tiki in England is such hard work!

But sometimes you find a piece from the old world that might have inspired those in the new...

UJ

On 2005-08-13 22:43, Hakalugi wrote:
I wasn't sure if this item was discussed before. My search turned up nothing.

So here it is. I need your help with this one. Tiki or not Tiki.???

Or is this one of those space/time anomalies.

There are two auctions up for the horga'hn. One is for a statue and one for the necklace.
Here is what the necklace says:

"This is a necklace of a Horgahn. A horga'hn is a statuette that symbolizes fertility on Risa.

This is made of resin with certificate license by Paramount Pictures and was sold in 1994 on the shopping channel."

Necklace link

Statue link

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-02-04 09:24 ]

T
Tattoo posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2009 5:15 PM

I have no clue what this is although it feels Oceanic...ish. I thought it looked pretty darn cool and would make a good companion for a lonely nite drinkin'. It's about 24" tall.

Tiki? Yeah or Nay

Despite the fact that the above "scared rabbit in the head light" posture is not known in any Oceanic carving traditions, I would venture to say that this piece captures the spirit of WHIMSY inherent in American Tiki, and is as such a fine addition to any collection.

It is interesting because the body is so rounded off and naturalistic, yet the face and head are very abstract and cubist. I wish it would not have painted-on nostrils.

But as I quoted the Master of Modern, P. Picasso, in the BOT:

"You don't need the masterpiece to get the idea. The concept or component of a style is entirely accessible in second-rate examples, and even fakes."

I agree, and as long as a carving contains the SPIRIT of Tiki somewhere, in some form, it's in. As a matter of fact.... the very fact that this is an "odd" example makes it "interesting"..."interessante" (quoting "I am Cuba"), since ALL primitive art pieces were once regarded as "oddities", and "conversation pieces".

On 2006-08-17 21:55, twitch wrote:
Picked this up for a few bucks @ a flea market after hemming & hawing for a while...
I'm thinking more Mayan than Hawaiian, but I've seen a few islands pieces before that resemble it...
Any ideas out there? No markings of origin anywhere...

Looks RASTA to me....

TT

On 2006-02-16 11:07, pappythesailor wrote:
Here's one I've been wondering about for awhile. Not being a zoologist and not being a Tikiphile very long:
Parrots and monkeys--tiki or not tiki?

Parrots are tiki if they can shit all over your vintage rattan furniture, not if they are "plush toys"...
Monkeys are not ever tiki but if one lives in your bar and you don't live in India you rule..!!!

I would say parrots and monkeys are as much Tiki as leopard print and Tiger skin. They are NOT...but, like those patterns, they were sometimes used in Tiki environs in the mid-century. Being generic tropical cliches, I view them as Pre-Tiki Polynesian pop (a la Zamboanga) and as such they can be inhabitants of Tiki lounges...but should be kept in a "supporting character" role -just like Hawaiiana. :)

GT

Here is a real Tiki :)

N

On 2009-02-08 18:41, GO TIKI wrote:
Here is a real Tiki :)

His real name is Atiim Kiambu Hakeem-Ah Barber so, not tiki

UT

Tiki or not Tiki? Tacky.....hell yes. Regardless there going up on the wall in my home lounge. A combination of a six dollar price tag and me being laid off and the economy going to hell and Tiki finds being real slow around here I snatched them up. Made by California Crafts. Thanks.

PS. Looks like some kind of Bigfoot print mold on the back or a giant pair of slippers.

Unidentifiable, mid-century, modernist/primitive wall masks.... = Tiki Modern :D

UT

On 2009-02-09 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Unidentifiable, mid-century, modernist/primitive wall masks.... = Tiki Modern :D

Thanks Bigbro. I took a look through both of your books when I got home. I kinda had a good feeling on these so I picked them up. Thanks again.

Even if these are contemporary (their plaster inside looks new), they have that whimsical, cartoon, fantasy "primitive art" quality. And the whole tradition of always having TWO masks of the same style but in different versions (usually hung on the wall asymmetrically) is very mid-century.

UT

I took a close look at the back of each mask. I can just make out the number 76, at least I think that is what it is. Maybe a date or the model number.

they make me happy!
especially the guy with the "O" mouth!
great find!

I've spent the last month trying to trace this guy's origins poring through BOT & searching on the web for Mexican, African & other oddball figures hoping he wasn't one of those things. The only figures I thought he resembled were Polynesian. His facial features definitely look it, to me, but that thing on his head has me puzzled. When I went back Sunday & he was 30% off, I threw caution to the wind & grabbed him. So, he's going in my lounge, regardless, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts or info about him you guys could give me. He is completely unmarked & the bottom of the base is very rough-hewn, definitely no saws involved.

Mahalo,
Rick

It's African, fer sure...with a little Michael Jackson bleaching. :)

how about this guy ,tiki or not tiki?

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-02-11 03:21 ]

Not. Tourist art of unknown origin. Sorry, I am not saying it is the same as, but this carving reminds of these god-awful surf/demon sculptures that have flooded souvenir shops all over the world and are sold as "Tikis" to the unsuspecting public:

RR

On 2009-02-11 12:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
Not. Tourist art of unknown origin. Sorry, I am not saying it is the same as, but this carving reminds of these god-awful surf/demon sculptures that have flooded souvenir shops all over the world and are sold as "Tikis" to the unsuspecting public:

I think there is one of those things in the Tiki Ti. I will investigate tonight.

I'm pretty sure there is. Mike gets all sorts of junky presents. That still doesn't make these "Tiki", just a bad choice.

Crap! Oh, well. He wasn't real expensive & he'll do for now.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-02-11 14:11 ]

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:23 ]

What about this little ceramic mask? Is this Tiki or African perhaps?

I would say yes. But only because I have his brother up on the wall. Nice find. I would post a pic but I think the picture doohicky is broke. Got it! Must have been operator error.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-02-13 11:29 ]

Beg to differentiate: African in design and inspiration, this is mid-century modern primitivism, or pop primitivism, which, as I hope to have shown in my second book, has close ties to Tiki Modern. Both are born out of the same Zeitgeist.

The rule that African primitive art is NOT Tiki still applies, but as is the case with Witco's wild stylistic oeuvre, the lines between mid-century African modernism and mid-century Oceanic modernism are sometimes blurry. So while this piece isn't "Tiki" per se, it would fit well into a Tiki environment.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 8:29 AM

Bought it in an antique store in Mexico...

I know it is from Alaska but... Alaska is in the Pacific, soo...

Label under the figure in Spanish... Nice 1950's typography.
Maybe we should start a web page: http://www.totemcentral.com

Pages: 1 2 84 replies