Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Velvet Falernum found near Vancouver B.C.!!

Pages: 1 9 replies

Just wanted to let folks in this part of the world know that there's a source of that elusive Velvet Falernum here in British Columbia! It's John D. Taylor's Non-alcoholic version imported from Barbados. I know there's been alot of debate about this particular mix but hell, I'll take what I can get!
($8.99cdn /750ml)

Available here:
Carribbean Market
1003 Royal Ave. (at 10th St.)
New Westminster, B.C.
ph 604-522-9480
For those of you to far to visit, they say mail orders are welcome.

For those that want the 11%alc version:
The bottle includes a recipe to create it on the back. Basically, 3.5 parts to 1 part 40% alc/vol Rum (they suggest Old Brigand Rum)

So the other day I happily drive out to New West to buy some more Falernum which we've been running low on only to find that this store is gone, closed, finito!!!! The horror of it all!!! Where will we find more elusive Falernum here in Vancouver??? I'm going to search more, surely there are other Caribbean Food stores/markets around here. I'll post if I find any!

I can report that you can get this product in Kansas. I contacted the importer, who talked to the distributor, who talked to the retailer Lukas Liquors here in Kansas. It went back and forth for 4 months, but the label got approved by the Kansas ABC.

Very few liquor stores will stock it, but they can order it.

If you want to find out if it is available in your state, contact the helpful folks at

The Spirit of Hartford
PO Box 260730
Hartford, CT 06126
1-888-xellent (935-5368)
[email protected]

PLT

Thanks for the lead DemeraraDrinker! They may have some info on where it's available for us thirsty Canadians!

My pleasure. The Spirit of Hartford people are very helpful. They want you to be able to get your hands on Velvet Falernum, one way or another.

T

I found it in Toronto. In a West Indian food store just down the street, as a matter of fact. I've been purchasing it for a few months now, and keep telling them to restock, but all they've done is to fill the space with some Jamaican wild root tonic. :-S

I think they have one bottle left. I'll stop by this weekend and check.

Velvet Valernum is currently available at:

Caribbean Market
804 - 12th Street
New Westminster
British Columbia, V3M 4K1
604-522-9480

I bought 2 bottles today ($8.49/each) There were +/- 6 bottles left.

Use it in a Puka Punch (page 73 of Beach Bum Berry's "Intoxica") Sweet but Deadly!!

I just picked up a couple of bottles of the non-alcoholic velvet at an East/West Indian grocer near our house. (For locals: Spice Island on corner of Stony Plain Rd. and 163 St.) They had two bottles left and looked like they had been there a while, so I bought both. $6.49 each. I'm wondering what's generally preferred: alcoholic or non? When using in Don the Beachcomber cocktails, for example, should I be using the alcoholic mixture or the non-alcoholic syrup? Does it make a difference? Better? After a good search I couldn't find a definitive answer to this question. Last week, I tried making my own but I don't think it turned out too well...

I know that Rum Runner here in Tucson has the regular alcoholic version of the John D's for sale. I didn't catch the price, but I think it was around $14 a bottle.

Chris

T

Personally, I say go for making your own. First batch turned out INCREDIBLE and it's still good a year later with a 1/4 bottle left (I mainly do my tiki drinking in the warm months). Much cheaper with a nice kick of self-satisfaction, esp. when people taste it and say "You MADE this!?".

Pages: 1 9 replies